Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

little paint job questions

Hi!

Porsche people messed up when painted my front area few years ago,after an engine fire.
I donīt like how it looks, the color is not the same,is way too clear comparing to the rest of the car colour.

Is it possible to repaint again and match perfectly the colors,or is it a waste of time and money,and colour will never be the same?
I couldnīt paint the entire car only for that.

How much would cost? Itīs the front zone where the porsche emblem is,nor the hood,nor the bumper,only that piece of metal

Thanks!
Old 02-04-2004, 11:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Regarding if its reasonable, I dont know, but in Sweden we have a few shop where you take you car to it and he takes a plate with X amount of paint examples and you start to compare them the one you want. When you found an exact match, he will blend it in a machine to the correct color. This is VERY useful when the paint is old and has been worn by the sun. You get the ready paint in a small brush can or in a spray can.
Quite cheep!

http://www.geocities.com/Pipeline/Valley/3424/porsche
Old 02-05-2004, 01:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Hi Manute- I have stone chips in the same area and front spoiler and have been wary of having it repainted as inevitably there is a slightly different shade or tone. My car is pewter or a metallic beige I think they call it in the states, and metallic always seems to be more difficult to match. Replaced the front indicator surrounds and had those repainted by a more reputable expensive panel beater who has a 2003 model Porsche and is a club member and even he did not get an exact match. I am thinking of having the metal piece stone chips touched up and then a clear laquer applied over that whole section. Unfortunately the whole spoiler will need repainting. Again do not know if they should remove the spoiler and paint it separately or do it on the car and fade the new paint in with the old where the spoiler meets the car. What colour is your car?
Old 02-05-2004, 04:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Parrothead member

What color is the car? if it is a solid color, it can be matched, but might be tough if it is faded. Metallic colors are alot harder to match. but it can be done.
Old 02-05-2004, 04:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Nice idea Smile, I donīt know if they are shops like that here in Spain,but having a can with my exact color would be very useful.May be I have to look for it, but i thought it wouldīnt be better than in the factory...looking to the results itīs not so obvious.

And Paul, i would touch up the dents and donīt paint anything more,because if you donīt paint the entire car results are not perfect.

Btw,here are two pics I took few months ago...when there is little light, color is more or less ok, but at certain angles and with lots of sun...Damn! i think it is not acceptable!

So metallic is harder to match? oh my God, itīs always harder to me
Old 02-05-2004, 02:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Manute-from the front view photo the part with the badge-the shade/tone looks a lot different,unless it is jut the light. They can definately improve that. The better panel beaters here mix the paints themselves to get the colour right. Nice colour!! From that view the car looks the same colour as mine, wher as the other view it looks more a silver colour. Are those 928 phonedials on the car?
Old 02-05-2004, 10:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Parrothead member

You have a metallic color on your car, like i said, its hard to match especially if you have any fade in the old finish. Different paint manufacturers add different amounts of materials to get the metallic effect. so unless you use the same paint on the adjoining panels you will notice a difference.The alternatives are factory paint or have it custom blended.
Old 02-06-2004, 04:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

You can certainly do much better than that, if the second picture accurately depicts the contrast that you see in person. Typically, the painter will both match the color and blend the resprayed area into the adjoining panels. Simply repainting the one panel will probably always create issues.
Old 02-06-2004, 05:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

You know, after thinking about it a bit further, I'd say just go get it reshot and don't think twice about it. It's a small panel that's simple to remove, and I can't imagine it turning out any worse than it is. This should cost very little and with today's computer matching systems, might even pan out nearly perfectly for you. Have them replace your hood badge at the same time if it needs it, that way you'll at least feel like you got some return on your investment, even if the color comes out no better.
Old 02-06-2004, 06:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Well, the pics are a bit extreme, in most normal situations the color is like a mix between the upper and lower pics, but when light is high, it looks like the frontal pic.Itīs like more a matter of reflections than color itself.
Btw,the car painting is still perfect,itīs like it was painted yesterday,frontal pic was taken with car covered by dust,itīs that badge area which looks worse and faded,and it was painted few years ago.
And Vinman,you bet for factory painted....itīs factory painted!I still have the bill! Itīs difficult to realize porsche guys did such a mess.
So as you said, i would paint it again,maybe custom computer blended if i find a place to do that,it may even be cheaper,and better considering porsche workshop results...Well,iīve just remembered, a guy kicked my rear area and the painted rear zone too,and itīs almost impossible to notice it,maybe they need to pay a little more attention some times.

And Paul,as far as I know rims are standard 951 phonedials,the entire car is stock, even the timing belt...hahaha not really,but I like to keep it stock.
Old 02-06-2004, 02:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: