Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Bilstein vs. Koni / general suspension

I've been a fan of Koni's for a long time, just because you can adjust them. But, I know there are some Bilstein fans out there too. I've got a couple questions for you-

Do you know what spring rates the Bilstein's are rated for out of the box? There were a few options for the torsion bars (22m - 24.5mm for all the pre-'86 cars that use the same shock). Also, I haven't seen it confirmed but it appears the front spring rate varied a bit too (I think 140# is stock for the early 944's and I believe the 924 springs are a bit softer). So what matches with the Bilstein's?

My data point is an early light 924na with 200# front springs and 25.5mm rear torsion bars with yellow koni's all around. It feels great at events and on smooth roads, but it is stiff and light enough to skip over bumps on some of the weathered roads up here. Softening up the shocks makes it feel almost bouncy at highway speeds. -i.e. I think the springs are a little too much for it as a street car.

I'm thinking about using these springs rates on the much heavier 931. I think the extra weight of the 931 should match up to these spring rates pretty nicely.

My old koni's are just that- old. One of the rears and one of the fronts are weak (not bad considering the rears are ~15 years old and the fronts are 22!). So I'm thinking about what to replace them with.

I've heard bilsteins are valved a little stiffer than the stock shocks, but can someone give me some impressions of how they feel on stock/stiffer spring rates?

-nick
Old 02-06-2004, 09:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
entertaining the idea

Garage
I am not sure what the spring rating is on my car. But I do have a new set of Bilstein HDs. I like them, though it can be a stiff ride in the city. On an open road or higheya, the car handle excellently...

a well set-up 1983 Guards Red 944
Old 02-06-2004, 01:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
I'd opt for adj. Konis & thicker sway bar. I had Bilsteins (TRD upgrade, think they were "Sports") on my MR2, and while it improved cornering, the ride was terrible on the highway or any irregular road surface.

Old 02-06-2004, 02:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: