Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Send a message via AIM to fast924S
Unhappy Leaving Porsche behind

Well, Guys I have been doing some thinking the last couple of weeks and I think I might just put everyhting up for sale (Both P-cars and all my parts and everything).

Here is why, In my quest for more power with porsche I have learned that its WAY to much $$$$$$. Its also alot of $$$$$ to keep running. SO here is my idea. There also is very little if any Aftermarket Perfomance Suport.
Im thinking of buying a NISSAN 300ZX Twin Turbo. Its a 3.0L V6, 4 valves per cycl, Twin turbo, Twin intercooler, 4 Wheel Steering. 300hp stock, 0-60mph in 5.6 secs 5 speed with T-tops.

I know some of you might think its rice but I think it is a well designed car with tons of potential. I just want to see what you guys think. This is a very hard decision for me since I have restored my 87 924S myself and I have had it since I was 17 (now Im 21) SO Im not set on doing this yet I just wanna see what you think.

Thanx
Old 02-06-2004, 12:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Feelin' Solexy

What would you be asking for your car? My cousin's 924 has officially kicked the bucket and I think she wants another one.
Shame to get out of the P-car game, but I definitely hear you on the expense of keeping em running......
Old 02-06-2004, 12:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Good choice in a car..

But why would you call it rice?

Who the hell are porsche owners to badmouth japanese cars?

Im gonna stat calling german car drivers sauerkrauts...

Anyways..

Excellent choice in a car my friend..VG30DETT is a VERY nice engine...my friend got his up to a respectible 400 horsepower..with very little work done to it..hehe

the z32 was one of the cars i was gonna choose before, but the VERY one i was looking at got sold like 3 hours before i went to look at it so i ended up buying the 944.

I also agree with your point that there is literally NO Aftermarket for this car..

Sad to see you leaving the brand..but at least you got one sweet ride my friend..Enjoy the boost It's a wonderful thing
Old 02-06-2004, 12:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
entertaining the idea

Garage
Well if you must leave, your picking a great car. My friend has one, and it is so much fun to drive.

a well set-up 1983 Guards Red 944
Old 02-06-2004, 01:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to fast924S
Well thanx alot for all the positive stuff guys, But I still havent made the choice yet so you can hold on the goodbyes. I have done alot of reading on the car so Im still learing alot about it but one good thing I hear is with a different intake, exhaust and a chip you would be up around 405hp SWEEETT. But I still gotta but the used tranny in my 924S and then see if I can get a buyer for everything IF I decide To do it. Im still insure..... IM SOOO AFRAID TO LEAVE THE GOOD SUPPORT OF THIS BOARD... Plus I really do Love my 924S.

P.S My P-car is a 1987 Red 924S with 75k on the body lots of mods and I rebuilt the engine. I will check the miles on the engine I think its like 15k on it. The 944 I have is a late 1985 black, Its been hit and I have been using it for parts the car no longer will roll freely. It still has a good engine thow. I will also be selling my wheels and my old tranny. so IF I DO THIS I would like to sell everything as a PACKAGE

JUST REMEMBER I HAVENT MADE UP MY MIND YET AND NOTHING IS OFFICALY FOR SALE YET
Old 02-06-2004, 01:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
I agree as well, it would be a good choice. If you needed an all-weather supercar, the Mitsu 3000GT VR4 is a very nice option. Best looking also, imho.

Old 02-06-2004, 01:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to will944
I would personally get the Stealth TT....91 or 92. Great looks that I think are cleaner than the 3000GT.

And...they're much more rare!! You can tell a TT from a 16V stealth from the rear...but all 3000GTs look the same!!
87 951
C3 Stingray
Old 02-06-2004, 02:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Coming from a family of mechanics, they all say the 3000gt is a pos when it comes to repairs and maintenance. Very unreliable and VERY heavy.

They all praise the 300zx so good luck with that!
996 GT3 4 Liter - Basalt Black - gone
Old 02-06-2004, 04:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Blackfoot
I agree as well, it would be a good choice. If you needed an all-weather supercar, the Mitsu 3000GT VR4 is a very nice option. Best looking also, imho.

And I just happen to know where you can get one of these!!..
A 99 with ~54k.....supposedly only 45 shipped to USA that year...
And a whole bunch of German scrap metal shaped like 924's.

Old enough to know better, and stupid enough to do it anyway!
Old 02-06-2004, 04:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to ds475
i've been thinking about the 300zx as well, my friend has one. only thing is, that all wheel steering is no good from what my friend has heard, everyone on the 300zx forums ***** about it, because if you go into a drift, it will f*** you up and CAUSE you to crash. he said many have done it. you might want invest in the all wheel steering removal kit if you get one... just my 2 cents...

the 300zx n/a does have a lot of power... i'd love to drive a tt
Old 02-06-2004, 05:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
im sure those ricers on the zx forums complain about ABS too

"oh man, i wanna lock up my brakes so i can do some tight ass drifts"

grow up.
Old 02-06-2004, 06:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Why do you call them ricers?

What the hell is the matter with you people?
Old 02-06-2004, 06:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Zlatko, which people are you refering to?
Old 02-06-2004, 07:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

To serge..

Why did he just call 300ZX owners "ricers"? WTF?!?
Old 02-06-2004, 07:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

I think the difference between a "Ricer" and an "Enthusiast" is:

The ricer car will have numerous stickers for equipment or products that it doesn't really have. As well as a "fart can" sticking out the back, a HUGE $30.00 aluminum wing, body kit, neon lights etc.... And it will be typically slower than stock.

The Enthusiasts car will look mostly stock, the only deviations will be necessary for performance reasons. The enthusiast would prefer to be a sleeper. They look and sound serious, rather than silly. And some of them are Extremely Fast....

There now that we are all on the same page....... carry on..

Old 02-06-2004, 07:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Wolf1
I think the difference between a "Ricer" and an "Enthusiast" is:

The ricer car will have numerous stickers for equipment or products that it doesn't really have. As well as a "fart can" sticking out the back, a HUGE $30.00 aluminum wing, body kit, neon lights etc.... And it will be typically slower than stock.

The Enthusiasts car will look mostly stock, the only deviations will be necessary for performance reasons. The enthusiast would prefer to be a sleeper. They look and sound serious, rather than silly. And some of them are Extremely Fast....

There now that we are all on the same page....... carry on..
EXACTLY.

That's my point.

There are ricers...bodykits, stickers, cut springs, gt wings on fwd cars..etc..

Then there are tuners...bigger turbos, bigger fmics...**** like that..that's respectable..

But to be calling ALL import drivers ricers is ****ing stupid.
Old 02-06-2004, 07:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Zlatko
EXACTLY.

But to be calling ALL import drivers ricers is ****ing stupid.
Well see I cant call all of the import owners ricers cause.... well lets see...I have a:
Talon TSI
Altima
Passat
924 X 2

And last time I checked .....they were all imports..

Old 02-06-2004, 07:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Sorry..i should have said Japanese Import Cars.
Old 02-06-2004, 07:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Sorry..i should have said Japanese Import Cars.

Thats ok, the jap enthusiasts bash on us Porsche owners too....

But back to the topic: I have driven alot of Jap Import cars, and owned quite a few as well.
If I had to pick one as the best "bang for the buck" it would be the AWD Eclipse/Talon with the 4G63T motor. Preferably 1st gen for the ergonomics and super tough bottom end, as well as Huge aftermarket support.
I may be a little biased though since our local tuner builds and races these..

Mitsu performance

Old 02-06-2004, 07:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
To serge..

Why did he just call 300ZX owners "ricers"? WTF?!?
I didn't mean it that way. Just people find really dumb things to complain at times. You have no idea how many ppl bashed "safety features" (such as 4 wheel steering, abs, awd) saying their car would be some much better without them. And then i see them go out and do the craziest **** in their car.

I didn't aim it at all japanese car enthusuiasts...just those who complain about useful things (especially when theyre amateur drivers).
Old 02-06-2004, 07:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: