Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Question what to do?

I bought a 1986 944 in June and already I have spent over $2K on oil cooler, rotors, heater problem, now the car wont start, needs timing belt and waterpump, the brakes are soft and it seems to be burning oil at an unhealthly rate. I love this car but I dont know if i can keep fixing it every couple of weeks when it breaks. should i sell it and move on or should i just try and stick with it? any advice would be helpful.
Thanks
Lev

Old 10-01-2001, 09:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

It's easy to think about it afterwards; but did you have this 944 inspected before you bought it?

From where you are now you have two options;
fix it or sell it. If it suns it's worth something, non-running 944s are $500.00 or less.
Old 10-01-2001, 11:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I didnt have it inspected because i bought it from my parents. It runs it just needs a starter and it will start again.
Old 10-01-2001, 11:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to fty
Wink

Bill your parents.............-chriz

I bought my 944 for 3500 and foolishly dumped another 3500 into it...runs perfect now buuuuuttt .........ill never get the cash back...but you do silly things for stuff you love......I used to have acouple girlfriends...but Im done being that dumb....hahahahah-chriz

------------------
"Faster,Than,You"
"Wish I had a 951....."
"Ive tried so hard and got so far but in the end it doesnt even matter"
http://www.members.aol.com:/fty9999/944land/944land.htm
Old 10-01-2001, 06:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Fix it. Do the belts and pump yourself. Rent the tension tool and get the parts. Won't be too bad that way. Everyone here will help you! Brakes are easy, no problem. Sometimes just a broken vacum hose. No need to sell it over some maintinance items.
Old 10-01-2001, 07:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to 85944na Send a message via AIM to 85944na
the money your spending seems typical, I have spent far more on (clutch, belts, cv's, water pump, radiator, brake master, clutch slave and master, brake pads, blah blah, you get the picture) but, its been more than a year since i've only had to do oil changes (other than the radiator) and I dont forsee any other problems, getting your car into reliable condition can be hard, and it seems like it will never stop breaking, but mine did, and I believe yours will too. It will take more money, but as far as I'm concerned it's worth it. The advice about doing it yourself is excellent, I had a friend do my clutch and belts for very low $$$, and I did my radiator.
Old 10-01-2001, 07:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Wink

Where you at? I work for beer, even cheap beer sometimes.
Old 10-01-2001, 08:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Im from Long Island NY. Do you think that doin the waterpump/timing belt myself would be a good idea even though i have virtually no mechanical experience?
Old 10-02-2001, 10:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Yo lev..im from LI also....stony brook is a bout 15min from me...know where bayport is? I can do a ton of work if you wanna wait we can do it over winter break when i come home......-chriz

------------------
"Faster,Than,You"
"Wish I had a 951....."
Old 10-03-2001, 09:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

or if you wanna sell it also let me know..............cuaee ill take it......If it needs waterpump and timing belt ill throw you 700 for it....just an offer-chris

------------------
"Faster,Than,You"
"Wish I had a 951....."
Old 10-03-2001, 09:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

I know where bayport is. I grew up in Selden. I would like to wait to do it but the car is coming up on 90K fast and I dont even know if the belts were changed at 60k.
Old 10-03-2001, 12:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Sell it and cut your losses. There'll always be more where they came from.

Erick
Old 10-03-2001, 12:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Lev, do you know the first repair spending is well worth investment to help you get into Porsche?
My first 924S was in a pretty good condition, but still easily dumped $1500 into it. From there I understood a lot about Porsche. Then I got my 944S2. I found the first one helped me a lot in terms of keeping repair cost down. Everything I spent money I learned how to do by myself next time. Two weeks ago I sold my S2. I even made a little bit profit on it. Now I'm looking for my 3rd Porsche. 911, 928S, 951 and S2 are all in my radar screen. These all happened in a year.
You always can learn from your investment. The best thing for me is that I have been making a lot of Porsche friends including you guys.
Old 10-03-2001, 01:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by lev:
I know where bayport is. I grew up in Selden. I would like to wait to do it but the car is coming up on 90K fast and I dont even know if the belts were changed at 60k.
Easy. Take tb cover off. Disconnect bettary. Take out airfiler, AC belt, PS belt and some other small things to let you easy access to tb. Set up engine at TDC, line up cam and crank shaft. Loose balance belt tensioner on the bottom close to power steering pump. Take out bt, tensioner and tb.
Put everything back on, retesion the belts then you are done.
Old 10-03-2001, 02:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

LOL - 5 minutes right?
Old 10-03-2001, 02:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
Sure, so that makes the clutch job just under 20 min right? LOL
Old 10-03-2001, 04:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Hey I just made an offer..cuase I love these cars and im tryin to get my little bro whos 15 hooked so he can have one for his first car...Dads an extremely proficient mechanic....did my clutch in 3.5hrs..and he has never done one on a porsche before...so hopefully my bro could have a cool car...just an offer but first see if you can get the thing to work-chris take acre..send some pics if you want

------------------
"Faster,Than,You"
"Wish I had a 951....."
Old 10-03-2001, 07:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

If you want take the car to Avp i think thats what its called, its at the end of 112(south)..they qouted me 400 for my timing belt...they allways have 944's and 924's around..and they are very reputable so i hear...-chris

------------------
"Faster,Than,You"
"Wish I had a 951....."
Old 10-03-2001, 07:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Thanks for the tip. I've decided to keep the car. The body is in great shape and I love it.
Old 10-03-2001, 07:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

If he did a clutch on a 944 in 3.5 hours and had never seen a 944 before........
The quickest I have ever seen, and that was by an experienced Porsche tech was 4 hours...

Old 10-03-2001, 09:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: