Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
entertaining the idea

Garage
New front speakers

Got new speakers yesterday. I only replaced the front ones for now. I'll tackle the back ones when it is warmer out.

I got Eclipse SE8463A. They sound great....much better then the stock ones, especially since one was crackling. They fit a little snug, but with a little finessing, they fit good.

a well set-up 1983 Guards Red 944
Old 02-08-2004, 08:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Did you use the stock grills?

I've found any new speakers are better than old speakers. Fronts seem to last about 8 to 10 years here in SoCal. Think the surrounds get blown out frm slamming the doors.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 02-08-2004, 10:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
entertaining the idea

Garage
Yes I did use the stock grills. That was the hard part about getting them to fit right. The old ones were in real bad shape when I took them out.

I was just looking to get something that fit behind the stock grills and sounded good. Wasn't looking to get a "competition system"...lol

The rear ones appear to be working ok for now.

Old 02-08-2004, 06:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Do the earlier 944s use the 4x6 rectangular speakers like the S2s? I'm looking to improve the sound a little without making any major changes. The factory stereo (Blpkt Stuttgart) is working fine, at least for now, but the speakers sound a little overwhelmed at moderate volume.

With a convertible, you really need a stronger stereo system to overcome the wind noise. I have to adjust the volume a lot, depending on speed.

Suggestions for a low-cost speaker option that will fit without mangling the doors or the interior panels?

LSD
2002 Yamaha FZ1
Old 02-09-2004, 06:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
entertaining the idea

Garage
I'm not sure what speakers the S2 uses stock, but they look similar to the early 944's. I didn't have to modify mine at all. The sound quality is incredible for such small speakers.

Mine were about $100, but well worth the sound quality.

Old 02-09-2004, 07:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
If there is any distortion with the front speakers they are most likley due for replacement.

These speakers get beat up opening and closing the doors. I've seen two types of weather/water protectors on the door speakers. One is a hard plastic hood that covers the top part the other is a soft plastic cover over the whole backof the speaker.

Here is a hint: If you have to turn the volume up more than half way to hear for a decent (not numbing) volume then the speakers are shot.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 02-10-2004, 06:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Parrothead member

I have Boston Acoustic 746's front and back they sound great, they went in with no prob. ( well.. the rears where a pain in the a** to put in.
Old 02-10-2004, 11:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

UconnTim97 - I live in phily too, where did you pick up the speakers?
Old 02-11-2004, 12:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: