Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Post Difficult cold starting cured

Finally took my '89 S2 to a trusted mechanic to diagnose a cold-start problem (car would always start eventually, but it took about four tries...embarrassing, more than anything else). Thought it might be bad injectors ($$$$$!), but it turns out it was only a bad one-way check valve in the fuel pump ($14 part). Valve was not seating, allowing fuel to drain away from the injectors and back into the tank.

Also, had gearbox refilled with synthetic lube ($36 worth), which has increased shifting smoothness and ease by a small but noticeable amount. If anyone's interested in the brand of synthetic, I'll call my mechanic back and find out.

--Doug

Old 10-04-2001, 09:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to 1.2gees
Wow, a checkvalve in the pump... Never heard of that failing before.
Ahmet

------------------
It's all the driver...
My page over1g@hotmail.com
Porsche owners Gallery.../My 944
Old 10-04-2001, 09:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Curious to know if your symptoms were just at start-up or did you notice poor performance at high rev's (max fuel demand) as well.
Thx
Old 10-05-2001, 06:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

No symptoms at high revs. Other than the cold-start problem, the driveability was excellent, without any flat spots. Checked with my mechanic, and he said the fuel pump is in an indentation beneath the tank, normally obscured by the tank's plastic cover. Check valve screws into fuel pump.

He also said the gearbox fill is Kendall synthetic. He's got other customers who swear by it...they also say it reduces shifting effort and makes the box feel smoother.

--Doug

[This message has been edited by Doug914 (edited 10-05-2001).]
Old 10-05-2001, 09:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to PrerYDoG
Had the same thing happen in my 86 Buick Riviera. I just replaced the whole damn fuel pump though, fixed it right up.

Old 10-05-2001, 10:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: