Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

944 Newbie needs advice fro the Pros.

I have owned a fixer-upper 87 944 or about three months, I keep getting fonder of it all the time. I still have one problem I can't find yet. When the windows are down it is pulling traces of exhaust gas into the car, THe rear hatch seals looks ok, I don't see any cuts in it etc..Has anyone ever had to deal with this problem? I have had the exhaust system checked for leaks, seems ok.
I'm also curious what you do with a block when it's time for a rebuild? Surely there is a answer other that finding another used motor..

Chuck
87 944
72 914 2.1
Old 02-08-2004, 07:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Composite Shop Owner, DJ

Send a message via MSN to MixMasterK Send a message via Yahoo to MixMasterK
My 924 has the same problem. I've replaced the seal, but it is still there. Also, the hatch glass is coming away from the frame, AGAIN. This is also a problem that is common on 924/944. Could be getting some leakage through that area if your's is in the same shape.
Old 02-08-2004, 09:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Pull and reseal your tail light lens.

Check the three bolt exhuast flange under the car. May be tight but have a bad gasket.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 02-09-2004, 06:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to robicurp
don't know exactly where it comes from, but nearly all of them do it.
I think it's something about the aerodynamics, that sucks fumes back in when conditions are right.

Mine smells of exhaust when ever I get on it hard through the gears.
My hatch has no leaks so it's not comming in there
Old 02-12-2004, 07:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to lousailor Send a message via Yahoo to lousailor
There are also rubber plugs in holes in the bottom of the wells behind the rear wheels and the spare tire storage. If you're missing any of these plugs the low pressure caused by airflow blowing by the open side windows will pull exhaust and air up from the back.

'85 (Early) 944 - Beater
'87 924S - Crunch/Rebuild
'76 924 - Long Gone
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."
- Mario Andretti
Old 02-12-2004, 07:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I am also having this problem.
Old 02-12-2004, 09:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I have this problem with my '87, but I never had this problem with my former '84.

I have a sneaking suspicion this problem may be related to improperly repaired rear end body damage. I know that my '87 was hit from behind before I bought it (for $1800.00 I just couldn't resist!) and I am in the process of resealing the rear clip.
Old 02-13-2004, 05:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by lousailor
There are also rubber plugs in holes in the bottom of the wells behind the rear wheels and the spare tire storage. If you're missing any of these plugs the low pressure caused by airflow blowing by the open side windows will pull exhaust and air up from the back.
Smelly bung holes.

I've had this problem.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 02-13-2004, 06:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Thanks, I know mine has those holes open, its interesting that fumes could come back up when you are running at highway speeds, I will seal those asap, this problem has to be dealt with...
Old 02-13-2004, 07:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to clinton
You guys may want to look at the underside of the exaust header it may be cracked , they just do not hold up well.
Old 02-14-2004, 09:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: