Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to scheistermeiste Send a message via Yahoo to scheistermeiste
Question linux and the 944

being the linux/computer dork that i am, and having seen linux put on everything from a watch to a x-box ect. has anyone made their 944 run linux???

Asking if you should replace that timing belt is like asking if you should re-use a condom that may have in hole in it with a hooker.
Old 02-08-2004, 08:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to bryanthompson Send a message via AIM to bryanthompson Send a message via Yahoo to bryanthompson
I wanna know too. yaay for linux
Old 02-08-2004, 08:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Open Based ... Nice!!!

Maine 4x4 Club www.maine4x4.org
Old 02-08-2004, 09:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Last edited by kraft; 02-16-2004 at 09:09 AM..
Old 02-08-2004, 11:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Thumbs up

I am all for the idea too!
Old 02-09-2004, 08:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to scheistermeiste Send a message via Yahoo to scheistermeiste
thats cool as hell but i was actually talking about it being like the DME. would you be able to hook it up to where it actually controls air/fuel maps and other stuff?

Asking if you should replace that timing belt is like asking if you should re-use a condom that may have in hole in it with a hooker.
Old 02-09-2004, 08:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Zero10
Umm... well yes and no.
You would need some kind of external controller, like an OOPIC or something, because there is data coming in on too many pins, the controller could convert all the incoming data (with the help of an analog-digital converter), and turn it into a serial stream, which could enter on a serial port of any computer. Then you could write a program to interpret this data, and send signals back out, through the oopic and back to the engine. However I fear that the lag time of all these processes will be too much, and you will have to allow for some guestimating, which will lead to decreased performance.
Plus, if you computer ever slows down just a little, it could stall your car.
that is, don't use it to control your sound system too, lol.

However, the idea itself is pretty cool, but I would feel better programming an OOPIC to run the engine, than trying to interface to a PC.

I suppose you could skip using an external controller, but you would have to use multiple ports, and use an analog-digital converter. Along with many transistors to turn your +5V into a +12V, or a switched ground for the coil, etc...
But, that would allow for some pretty cool anti-theft systems.

Buy my parts!
Old 02-09-2004, 08:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

would it be possible to burn linux directly to a chip so it runs your DME?

Old 02-09-2004, 08:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Last edited by kraft; 02-16-2004 at 09:10 AM..
Old 02-09-2004, 08:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by scheistermeiste
would it be possible to burn linux directly to a chip so it runs your DME?
in my opinion everything is possible the question then is to know how many time/people/money it would consume for a year to develop something like that.
It would certainely be more accurate and fast in data treatment than a simple 80C51 or Z80 when i see some pocket pc but playing in this game it's only for big boys with big money more than i will ever have.
Old 02-09-2004, 09:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to bryanthompson Send a message via AIM to bryanthompson Send a message via Yahoo to bryanthompson
I'm writing a program right now that takes a stream of data from the Weather Service's satellites, down to our dish, to the demodulator, to the serial port. Serial IO isn't that hard in Java... the hardest part for this project was finding the beginning/end of each packet. If the DME sends a pulsed signal, i can't imagine it being very hard. The hardest part would be making sure you have the exact right formulas or interpration logic. The smallest error in there could potentially cause a ton of damage.

I'd be willing to expirament if anyone has info on pinouts.
Old 02-09-2004, 01:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Zero10
I was trying to make a data logger for the 944 DME, the problem I ran into, is you have to solder a wire into the DME to send it data, and it has a bitrate of 93750, which is very difficult to translate into something usable.

Buy my parts!
Old 02-09-2004, 06:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
vott does ziss do?

so did you come up with anything on the datalogger idea or abandon it for now?
Old 02-09-2004, 08:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

i love linux!

Old 02-09-2004, 10:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

[.

Last edited by kraft; 02-16-2004 at 09:11 AM..
Old 02-09-2004, 10:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

mmhh it seems that the error memory works only with from 1988 ECU
Old 02-10-2004, 04:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

kraft...vous etes un connaiseur d'electroniques, no? Tres bien!
Old 02-10-2004, 05:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
man, that's a really high bitrate. I'm not sure how you'd deal with that.
Old 02-10-2004, 05:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by paulc
kraft...vous etes un connaiseur d'electroniques, no? Tres bien!
Lol no i'm not, i whish, but i'm not...only trying to do with the little i know.
Old 02-10-2004, 07:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Last edited by kraft; 02-16-2004 at 09:11 AM..
Old 02-10-2004, 07:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: