Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

So one day...

I was going out to the car to start it up after sitting for a week in the frigid cold weather of Maine. I get in... Put the key in the ignition... Press the clutch pedal in and "thwomp!!!" Goes straight to the floor. WTF? I think to myself. I reach down and pull the clutch pedal and "thwomp" straight back to the top position.

What gives? It was fine a week ago.

Maine 4x4 Club www.maine4x4.org
Old 02-09-2004, 09:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Feelin' Solexy

Clutch master or slave. Might as well replace them both for peace of mind, and because experience shows that one often goes soon after the other. Not a hard repair, pretty much a "bolt on" but you need to bleed, which is annoying. Search for clutch master here or read the procedure for replacement/bleeding at http://www.clarks-garage.com

Last edited by Tishabet; 02-09-2004 at 10:07 AM..
Old 02-09-2004, 09:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Yeah..easy. Thats what they told me. It was not. But I did have a turbo. But yeah it's master/slave
Old 02-09-2004, 10:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Oh my god...another one

WHY DOES THIS ALWAYS HAPPEN IN THE COLD?!?!?!?!?!

And it's a *****...

Im doing mine right now...starter had to be removed to get to the slave..you have to take out a bunch of stuff to get to the master too..

And the lines are very fraile..so you have to watch how you deal with them..unless youre planning on replacing them as well...which might be a good idea..

So order:
-Clutch Slave Cylinder
-Clutch Master Cylinder
-Clutch Slave Cylinder Feed Line
-Clutch Pipeline

That should take care of any SURPRISES along the way. And if youre getting a mechanic to do it..give him all these components..he should be done within a couple of hours if he' not a moron..

I didnt order the clutch pipeline, and one of the connectors snapped..now i gotta go to a porsche dealership in toronto here..and HOPE they have one..cause i simply cant wait
Old 02-09-2004, 11:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Feelin' Solexy

Quote:
Originally posted by Goku
Yeah..easy. Thats what they told me. It was not. But I did have a turbo. But yeah it's master/slave
Can't imagine it's any different on a turbo versus an NA, the only piece of engine in the way of removal/replacement is the brake master and booster, which I believe are the same.

As for it being easy/hard, there are some tight spots for the old wrench hand, but not impossible. Definitely something approachable by any weekend wrencher with, let me think here:
A 13 mm box end
a 13mm socket
driver for socket
wobbly extension for socket (optional, but very handy for the master)
a pair of vice grips with tape/cloth on the jaws (for clamping off line)
2 pints brake fluid.

Having done it myself in the last year, I would say that if I had a buddy to help me with the bleed I could do the entire job in under 2 hours, no sweat. And that's with a beer break and accounting for me being a bit of a moron.
Old 02-09-2004, 12:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to TNT25169
I just went through this and the only hard part that I found was the 2 bolts for the master cylinder on the firewall. Those sucked but Tshabet gave the best advice on what to use. This seems to be happening to a lot of 944 owners this winter...
Old 02-09-2004, 12:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Thanks for the responses.. It just boggles my mind. It wasn't leaking, it wasn't a slow progression to get to this point. Just one day it was fine ... the next "thwomp!" Maybe there was some moisture that froze in the cold and expanded casuing something to crack?

I looked closely at where the pedal area and there seems to be some fluid present around the rubber bellow. Maybe the problem could be isolated to this area?

In any case it's definately a damper to the ol' spirits.

Old 02-10-2004, 11:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Parrothead member

What the heck??? Alot of clutch hydraulics problems lately!
I though it was just me
Old 02-10-2004, 11:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Feelin' Solexy

Quote:
Originally posted by Sabyre
Thanks for the responses.. It just boggles my mind. It wasn't leaking, it wasn't a slow progression to get to this point. Just one day it was fine ... the next "thwomp!"
Same exact experience for me, drove it home one afternoon, that evening (maybe 3 hours after parking) went out to the car for a nice summer drive, and THWOMP!
Never acted at all out of the ordinary previously.
Old 02-10-2004, 11:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Mein Gott!

Garage
Okay................another one!?!?!?!?!?

This is really getting spooky (insert Hallowenn Michael Myers music here)
1972 Triumph TR6 - 100% trouble free between breakdowns
2003 BMW 325xi
Old 02-10-2004, 11:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Yup, Sabyre, that's just how it happened to me...twice on the master (the first replacement was bad) and once on the slave. One day good and next bad.

I highly recommend that you replace both master and slave at the same time. They seem to go in pairs, within 6 months or so.

I've done this a few times so if you need help email me and maybe we can find some time this weekend to bang it out.
Old 02-10-2004, 05:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

happened to my '85 last winter. wound up replacing master, slave and all hydraulic lines which were seriously rusted and allowing fluid to escape to the point where clutch pedal just dropped...

my tech said he's gotten a few of the early cars lately - probably related to age of the cars...
Old 02-11-2004, 12:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Thanks for the offer Divezic. It's nice to see a fellow enthusiest so close to home. I wont be able to do it this weekend I don't have the $200 extra it will cost for the parts. Maybe within a few weeks.

If you use MSN instant messanger consider adding me to your friends list. Sabyre17@hotmail.com or drop me a line anytime. Maybe we can get together for some 944 talk. What color is your car?

Old 02-11-2004, 01:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: