Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

did i ruin my alternator?

i've been trying to intall my new voltage regulator. simple enough, right?
well, no since its me i have to do something totally ridiculous. i broke off one of the two spring loaded magnet things inside the alternator. so not only is it tiny, it's stuck somewhere in the f*cking alternator.
so does anyone know of a good way to get it out?
can i just put it back on the voltage regulator or did i ruin that?
if i run the car with the magnet in there will it destroy the alternator?
Old 02-09-2004, 01:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
You will have to pull the alternator off and shake out the remains of the brushes.

Yes you have ruined the regulator.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 02-09-2004, 02:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Ok i got the magnet out (i found a piece of hay in the alternator too).
SoCal would you recommend removing the alternator for a regulator instalation? im wondering if installing it with the alternator still attached is what caused my problem.
Old 02-09-2004, 02:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
The regulators in the early 944's are replaceable with out removing the alternator. You have to be careful of the brushes (not magnets) or you will break them off.

Since you broke yours off you need to get another regulator. Or put the old one back in.

Since you fished out the broken piece then there is no need to take the alternator off.
Old 02-09-2004, 03:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to TheCooler
Buy an adjustable one.
-2007 Ford PIMP(free)star ...company car....
-1999.5 Jetta VR6
Old 02-09-2004, 03:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by TheCooler
Buy an adjustable one.
Adjustable as in voltage not the length of the brushes.
Old 02-09-2004, 05:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to ilikemy944
Quote:
The regulators in the early 944's are replaceable with out removing the alternator.
So are the late ones.

Current: '86 951 Sunroof Delete - '89 951 - '83 944 Spec - '08 Cayenne Turbo
Past: '88 924S Track - '86 944 16v - '87 951 - '87 951 - '88 951S - '08 Cayman S - '87 944 Track - '93 968
Old 02-09-2004, 05:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by ilikemy944
So are the late ones.
Not having done this; others report the later model is a PITA to change in the car.
Old 02-09-2004, 06:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

ok thanks for all the help guys.
it was an adjustable regulator that i broke. im sending out for another one tomorrow. by the by does anyone know what's the maximum voltage that they go up to?
lessen learned i guess. the whole reason it broke is because i couldnt see what i was doing and i had no idea what it looked like in there. i ended up having to remove the alternator anyhow. wasnt too bad this time (except for that one damn bolt above the AC compressor) since ive done it a few times now. only about an hour to remove and reinstall.
on the plus side i looked at the brushes on the old regulator and they are extended as far as possible, so i think that's cause my charging problems.
i also hooked up my multi meter to the fuse panel so i can watch voltage while driving.
Old 02-09-2004, 08:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Hey MrPants,
I recently installed an adjustable voltage regulator on my alternator and ran into some problems. The ceramic housing part on the regulator was a tad bit too big and wouldn't seat just right. I ended up having to remove the alternator to get a better view of things. I had to carefully file the regulator housing until it would seat correctly. Had it not been for the alignment problem, it would have been no problem to install the regulator while the alternator was installed. Good luck...

Tom
1988 944 N/A
Old 02-09-2004, 09:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to ilikemy944
Just for reference I changed mine in less than an hour, including removal of intake first.

Current: '86 951 Sunroof Delete - '89 951 - '83 944 Spec - '08 Cayenne Turbo
Past: '88 924S Track - '86 944 16v - '87 951 - '87 951 - '88 951S - '08 Cayman S - '87 944 Track - '93 968
Old 02-09-2004, 10:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by ilikemy944
Just for reference I changed mine in less than an hour, including removal of intake first.
thanks for the encouragement. i spent about 4 hours on mine and the new on isnt even installed.
i think i may hold the record on this stuff. i spent over 7 hours on my clutch master and slave.
Old 02-09-2004, 11:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by MrPants
thanks for the encouragement. i spent about 4 hours on mine and the new on isnt even installed.
i think i may hold the record on this stuff. i spent over 7 hours on my clutch master and slave.
928 OC member
PCA member
Old 02-10-2004, 12:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by MrPants
It's typical to take much longer than what is average to do a repair the first time.

If you get a quote of a certain amount of time to do a repair, flat rate, this is an average from experianced mechanics doing that repair.

Remember: Never break more than you fix!
Old 02-10-2004, 05:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: