Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to pearldrum
water pump job

I plan on replacing the water pump and belts soon, whats better new or rebuilt? does it matter where i get one? i saw that on pelican they are like $200 but i saw on vertex where they are $89! is vertex fine, or do all recomend one from tweeks, performanceproducts, here, or where?

Old 10-07-2001, 12:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I've never dealt with Vertex, but on the other hand, I ahve never heard anything negative about them either.

Since you didn't say what year your car was, Make sure you get the latest version of the waterpump - the one for the 951. You will also need the update kit if you have the older style pump.

Also, since you are at the point where you have all the belts off, as well as most of the covers, now would be a good time to do all of your front seals.

AFJuvat
Old 10-07-2001, 12:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to pearldrum
'83 944
Old 10-07-2001, 12:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Bob's944
My original pump was replaced at 66k miles still working at the time. The replacement was a rebuilt one (unknown rebuilder) and failed this summer after a life of 51k miles, 9,000 miles ahead of schedualed replacement. I went with a rebuilt pump again, my cost just under $100 from the shop doing the work. I eventually will be able to replace the pump myself after i get the confident with the belts. The pump will probably fail from age before I put 50k miles on it also. If there is not alot of difference in price between a new factory one and the rebuilt one, might want to spring for it, especially if you are paying top dollar for the labor and plan on keeping the car for along time.

If you're still on your original waterpump and you have an NA, you will most likely need a plug for the rebuilt unit, they are cheap... like $4

Old 10-07-2001, 12:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: