Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
meister member

Garage
WTB: porsche 9201 tool

I am looking to buy the beloved 9201 tool. If anyone has one and wants to part with it let me know. I checked the dealership and they want $680 for one. So if you know of a cheaper place to buy one new please pass on this info as well. I would greatly appreciate it and my 83 would even more.

vroom, vroom
Favorite Road = www.tailofthedragon.com 318 turns in 11 miles (11 min 20 sec best run)
Old 02-10-2004, 03:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Zero10
I have seen them for $525 or $575... that's still pretty steep though.

Buy my parts!
Old 02-10-2004, 06:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to ae1969
You can find them for 400 .......... now where was that again ??????
www.edmontonrealestate.ws
Old 02-10-2004, 06:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Sunset porsche has them cheapest. At least, they used to. when i bought mine, i think i paid $465 + $20 or so for the calibration bar (the're pretty sensitive to adjustment, so you definetly want the cal. bar) The price had just gone up right before i bought mine, i think i bought it about 6-8 months ago.

Good luck trying to buy one used........I can't see ANY reason i would ever sell mine.

They are available ocasionally on ebay, but they sell for almost the same as new.

Mike
Old 02-10-2004, 07:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to bryanthompson Send a message via AIM to bryanthompson Send a message via Yahoo to bryanthompson
On someone's website from this board I found a knockoff tool for like $9. Whoever that was, speak up!
Old 02-10-2004, 07:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Trevor
Thats probably the cricket tool, I've heard you can get reliable readings but it takes a couple of trys. Did overkill ever sell his tools?
2001 Taurus noooooooooooooo!
1993 325is
Old 02-10-2004, 07:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to fast924S
I never used the tool for my T-belt and I havent had any problems and its been 4 years now.
Old 02-10-2004, 07:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Writer/Teacher

Garage
Send a message via AIM to CJFusco
i still have Mike944's, so if you want it I'll sell it for cheap

Just kidding
Current Stable: Black 07 Porsche Cayman S: FabSpeed Maxflo Exhaust; VividRacing ECU Tune; IPD Competition Plenum; 997GT3 Throttle Body; De-Snork'd.2011 Acura MDX. 2008 Mazda 3. Gone But Not Forgotten:Garnet Red 86 Porsche 951("The Purple Pig"). Silver 09 Mini Cooper S ("Mighty Mouse"). Alpine White 83 Porsche 944 ("Alpine Wolf"). Guards Red 84 Porsche 944. Green 97 Volvo 850 Wagon ("The Viridian Falcon").
Old 02-11-2004, 10:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to pearldrum
We compaired criket($9) and the 9201 at 944fest last summer and got the exact same readings...
Old 02-11-2004, 12:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
meister member

Garage
I want to thank everyone for thier input. I put a request in with Sunset to see what the price is. I have considered the Kriket and I am still thinking about getting it. But I want to first exhaust every attempt to get the "real deal". I am hoping someone has one in thier dresser drawer that they forgot about after selling thier 944.
Favorite Road = www.tailofthedragon.com 318 turns in 11 miles (11 min 20 sec best run)
Old 02-11-2004, 03:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
meister member

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by CJFusco
i still have Mike944's, so if you want it I'll sell it for cheap

Just kidding
Hey CJFusco the check is in the mail. How much was postage again?

Old 02-11-2004, 03:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
meister member

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by mike944
Sunset porsche has them cheapest. At least, they used to. when i bought mine, i think i paid $465 + $20 or so for the calibration bar (the're pretty sensitive to adjustment, so you definetly want the cal. bar) The price had just gone up right before i bought mine, i think i bought it about 6-8 months ago.

Good luck trying to buy one used........I can't see ANY reason i would ever sell mine.

They are available ocasionally on ebay, but they sell for almost the same as new.

Mike
Sunset Porsche got back to me about a price. They said $479 plus 10 dollars shipping. The calibration bar is $19. That is $200 less than the local Porsche dealership. WOW. They also said it would only be a week wait. I am close to laying my money down.
I wonder if they would discount it further if more people put in a order at the same time. Just a thought.
Old 02-12-2004, 05:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

why is this thing so expensive?
i cant believe that no one could manufacture a duplicate for half price. i mean they just tention timing belts, right? its not rocket surgery
someone with the capability to manufacture stuff should crack one open and just make a 944 specific tool, and sell it for $100. they'd clean up
Old 02-12-2004, 05:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Mr:

It is expensive because Porsche understands marketing. There are no inexpensive duplicates because the market is rather small for the tooling involved (with the goal of keeping the price low), and the folks at Zuffenhausen know that. So, having convinced owners that the tool is an absolute necessity (after designing an engine that has little tolerance for broken timing belts), they can clean up on the aftermarket paranoia they have themselves caused. .......Ka ching..... "Ja, Otto.....ring up another five hundred Euros......"
Old 02-12-2004, 05:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

do you also think thats why porsche parts are so expensive?
when im being bent over a barrell at the parts store id like to think its cause im getting a superior product
Old 02-12-2004, 10:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

I don't think it's expensive just because they believe they have a captive audience, and they're Porsche. It's expensive because the porsche design tool is a complex design, and being a former manufacturing engineer, i believe the price is reasonable given the complexity of the tool, and the low quantity they sell. Most of the complexity is buried inside the case so it can't easily be seen. Does the tool need to be that complex... NO!

I have considered designing / manufacturing and selling an equivalent tool. But the cost would probably not be that much cheaper. The market for these tools can't be more than a few hundred tools, maybe 2000 MAX. At that quantity, you can't take much advantage of inexpensive, high-volume manufacturing techniques.

I agree with others that the krikit DOES give reasonable readings, however...... I think it's very, very hard to use on the 944 due to lack of working space. the krikit tool goes on the back of the belt (right against the timing cover) the Porsche tool hangs off the side of the belt, where there's a little more room. The krikit tool also is too narrow for the belt, and when depressing the tool, the belt twists sideways.

In my opinion, they both work, but the krikit tool is very finicky. The porsche tool also takes some practice to get a consistent reading as well.

Mike
Old 02-13-2004, 09:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: