Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Location: St. Louis - on the weekends, anyway; actually, most weekends...maybe I'm working too hard...
S2 crank in 2,7L block....?

I would like to create what the factory never did, a 3.0L 8 valve NA engine. I have the ingredients: a good 2.7L engine and an S2 crankshaft. The plan would include having the reciprocating items all balanced and lightened, perhaps with knife-edging and boat-tailing along the way. I figure the output should fall somewhere in the same range as the 2.5L 944S or better, but with superior low end torque. Questions:

What compression ratio will I end up with (I assume the S2 crank will pull the stroke range a little lower in the cylinder)?

Any possible clearance problems - and if not, will I have comfort room for a slight head shave to bump the compression?

Are the 2.7L con rods compatible with the 3.0L crank journals? I would want to use the 2.7L's rods...

Any other problems with this concept?

TIA Skip
Old 02-11-2004, 07:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Location: St. Louis - on the weekends, anyway; actually, most weekends...maybe I'm working too hard...
Seems to be some debate on Rennlist about where the CR would end up, and whether new con rods would be needed...any ideas would be very much appreciated, as I need to buy this 3.0 crank pretty soon if at all. TIA Skip
Old 02-12-2004, 06:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I don't think the 2v pistons can be used...the 3.0L pistons (4v) are much shorter and have the wrist pin located lower than the 2.7L pistons for top and bottom clearance reasons - IIRC

Early '85 944

Last edited by carsontc; 02-12-2004 at 06:29 AM..
Old 02-12-2004, 06:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: