Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to TheCooler
Question of the month

Well itís February and it seems to be getting warmer and the days seem to be getting a little longer or maybe Iím just going crazy. But anyways, there have been so many 944 accidents lately that I canít even keep count anymore. Ds's accident sparked me to do this little question of the month thread. Ill do it every month with a new question. So without any further ado heres the question. How many accidents have you been in and what caused them?

#1: My first accident was back in September '03 with my first 944. A pizza truck ran a stop sign and tboned me. I then went under a parked Acura TL on the side of the road.

#2: I believe it was 3 Fridays ago when I was rear ended at a stop light by a women "looking for her 50 dollar bill". It was nothing too serious though. It cracked my paint and pushed in my bumper.
-2007 Ford PIMP(free)star ...company car....
-1999.5 Jetta VR6
Old 02-11-2004, 07:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
entertaining the idea

Garage
Only one, but I wasn't driving. When I was in college we flipped my roommates Bronco II on I-84 twice. Someone cut us off, and that thing was way too high for such a short wheel base. He tried to change lanes quickly at about 60 and gravity took over. Fortunatley we walked away with minor injuries...

a well set-up 1983 Guards Red 944
Old 02-11-2004, 07:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
I've been in at least 5. The worst was when I was 18 years old (a long, long ago) and I shot my '71 Malibu over a guardrail trying to avoid a possum. I went completely freakin' airborne and landed on the backside of the guardrail, Dukes of Hazard style.

Causes:

1. cast on my right arm;
2. possum crossing ahead;
3. brakes pulled to the right;
4. steep curvy hill;
5. road had been paved to the point that bottom of my bumper met top of guardrail perfectly.

Totalled my mom's VW too when I wasn't watching the road and a car stopped in front of me...and I didn't.

I've got more wreck stories, but it's time for bed.
LSD
2002 Yamaha FZ1
Old 02-11-2004, 07:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to bryanthompson Send a message via AIM to bryanthompson Send a message via Yahoo to bryanthompson
1.) Was driving about 35, black lab ran into the side of my dad's car while I was driving.
2.) Was driving about 20 mph on the private gravel roads along the lake, went around a curve where I was hit close to head-on by some pothead kid, who was driving underage, with no permit whatsoever. He had witnesses in the car, which lied on the police report and said I was on the wrong side of the road and speeding. The cop, who happened to be a family friend, knew better, but had to put it down how they said it. Insurance companies are assbags and faulted me for it.
3.) Homecoming night I backed into my best friend's Talon. whoops, that was my fault.
4.) my brother totalled my Grand Prix on the way to school one morning. Not my fault at all, but somehow I was put on High Risk insurance because of the deal. Once again, insurance companies are assbags.

No accidents in the 944, thankfully.
Old 02-11-2004, 08:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
entertaining the idea

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by bryanthompson
, insurance companies are assbags.
LMAO....

a well set-up 1983 Guards Red 944
Old 02-11-2004, 08:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Trevor
Last Valentines day, I was sitting at a stoplight in my jetta, hit head on by a drunk at 65mph, they were illegal immigrants, a few of them ran. My car was totaled, transmission was knocked off the car, pedals moved in about a foot and the roof was bent. Luckily I got out with only a severe headache, whiplash, and a small stress fracture in my ankle which could have been caused by tennis. AND INSURANCE COMPANIES ARE UBER ASSBAGS.
2001 Taurus noooooooooooooo!
1993 325is
Old 02-11-2004, 08:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Zero10
I second the insurance companies statement!
Within a 3 month time span, I got in 3 not-at-fault accidents with my 944.
Rear ended twice and side swiped once!!!
That is some bad luck. Now the insurance companies are telling me that if I fix it, they will draw negative inference to it if it goes to court, so I am driving a damaged 944 =(
However my girlfriend wins this one.
9 accidents!!!
She doesn't even drive. She's too afraid, she's been hit on a bus, and riding with every family memeber she has who drives.
Plus, she was in 4 accidents with me (not my fault), 3 in the 944 and 1 in my old mazda 626.

My insurance co tried to jack my rates from $3500/year to almost $8000/year for the not at faults! What assbags!

Buy my parts!
Old 02-11-2004, 09:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to scheistermeiste Send a message via Yahoo to scheistermeiste
1) first accedent at 15. had my permit with someone (who i thought) had a valid drivers license, hit head on by a taxi with 8 people in it who ran a red light at an intersection while i was making a left hand turn. his taxi(crown vic) was totaled and my 65 mustang had a broken headlight and a dented fender. i drove it home afterward... oh and the friend ended up having a suspended licsense, but since he didnt know the cops were easy and didnt ticket him or i

2) bumped an old lady in a parking lot in my 01 hyundai accent, no damage

3) had a blowout on the drivers side rear wheel on an on ramp at 40mph. spun 3 times and ended up in grass on the side of the ramp facing the wrong way. tire came completely off and ended up on the inside of the wheel well(what was left of it)

4) remote started 98 civic that the moron cleaning guy left in first without the parking break on in the car dealership that i worked at. me and 3 people stopped it just as it hit an unsold brand new subaru outback. scratched the bumper which we had repainted the next day on the outback at no cost to me and i had a very cracked front body kit bumper.

5) backed into a customers car in dealership parking lot, no damage to other car but my rear body kit bomper cracked

6) hydrolocked motor to 98 honda civic after coming over a hill on a rainy day and into a very large puddle... got 3 grand more than i paid for civic from dealship i bought/sold to my self because i used to work there and waited 7 months and they couldnt get the title to the car

7) cut off on off ramp by a white lexus rx300 and kissed the guardrail at 40mph. driver just kept driving and i now have my SE 88 924S with a custom guard rail dent along the drivers side...

those are the ones where i have been driving.... 4 years of driving with 4 different cars. 5th year and im looking for another car...

Asking if you should replace that timing belt is like asking if you should re-use a condom that may have in hole in it with a hooker.
Old 02-11-2004, 10:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Motor cycles-5. Hit a car that didn't stop at stop street & broke a leg, hit by a car that did not stop at traffic light and he bounced off my bike and totaled another car, then my fault hit a car side on when he came out a driveway and I was riding on breakdown side of road. 44 Harley does not stop that quick. 2 other minor falling offs like hitting a dog and loosing traction.
Cars-been in 58 Chev that hit a donkey on freeway, and in a Ford Capri that spun and wacked an oncoming car.
Being driving cars 30 years and touch wood no accidents with me driving.
Old 02-11-2004, 10:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

I was 19, have had my drive licens for three months.
Just purchased a Ford Sierra ($7000). four days ago. My mom had borrowd the money from the bank. Was driving home at night, it was raining. I THOUGHT I was the GOD behind the wheel and the Sierra was SUPER on wet road. In a cirulation place, going at 40 mph, I shifted down from 3rd to 2nd gear and flatted the throttle. :-DDDDD, the car spun two times over a lawn and I hit a 3 floor building. The car cont. spinning and hit the building again. I was OK , but the car was a wreck!
Guess if I was scared to go home and tell mum????????
The car was fully assured, so we got all the money back, but any way.
This was 12 years ago now, but I still remember that night!:

http://www.geocities.com/Pipeline/Valley/3424/porsche
Old 02-12-2004, 01:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to FLA944 Send a message via Yahoo to FLA944
Only 1

1979?? Travelling from home to NAS S. Weymouth, MA stopped at a light in Bridgewater, Ma person behind me stopped person behind her did not. Only had to replace bumper and plastic thingies. a 1977 Plymouth Arrow.

Rick
has never left garage (yet)
Old 02-12-2004, 04:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to toolboy62 Send a message via Yahoo to toolboy62
only two serious wrecks, touch wood...

1) I was 16 years old, only had my driver's license a few months, was driving my mom's Renault Encore down a gravel back road when all of a sudden I come on some fresh asphalt (it was raining) and the back end stepped out, instead of getting on the gas I locked 'em up (dumb, dumb, dumb, but I was very inexperienced at the time) and hit an embankment at about a 15 degree angle which flipped the car over very nicely. D'oh.

2) blew a front tire in my dad's '73 Chevy pickup while going around a corner, ended up tearing three of the tires off the rims and denting three of the four corners of the truck. Here it turns out that he'd just put the nice summer wheels and tires on the day before and hadn't bothered to check the air pressure. Postmortem showed about 8PSI in the tire that was still on the rim (they were 60 series radials so they didn't look low.) He wasn't there when I took it and when I had asked my mom she said it was cool, because she didn't know. D'oh again.

No incidents in my own cars, touch wood, but here's a near miss that still raises my blood pressure when I think about it...

Driving to work late one morning down US 50 westbound in MD... almost no traffic on the road, I'm doing about 70 MPH (in a 65) in the right hand lane. Come up on an onramp and I see two slow moving vehicles getting ready to merge on. I change lanes to the center and the first merging vehicle (a wood-paneled chrysler minivan) cuts me off. I move to the far left lane and he cuts me off again. I move back to the center lane and what do you know but the dumb b***h in the Subaru that was following the minivan is now moving into the space I'm occupying, apparent future point of collision, my front bumper meets her driver's side door. I threw it in third and gunned it and managed to thread the needle before she shut the door on me, but I was shakin' pretty good after that. Die, non-driving m*****f******!

nate
Old 02-12-2004, 06:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Writer/Teacher

Garage
Send a message via AIM to CJFusco
only one. some of you old-schoolers might remember

a few summers ago, I was driving home from a friend's house in the 944. it had just finished raining. I was coasting down a steep hill, when I decided for one reason or another, to downshift. I downshifted, and the shift dropped the revs right into the sweet spot of the powerband, making the tires lose traction. I tried counter-correcting, but it was no use - I was hydroplaning. I hit and demolished a mailbox, and then grazed a telephone pole with the front passenger corner of the 944. I barely felt the bump (I definitely heard it though), even though the impact sent me back into the middle of the road.

The headlight bucket was demolished, the fender was useless, the hood was bent back at the corner, the front spoiler was torn to shreds. I bought a parts car for $1000, then sold it to my mechanic for $500 after I got the parts I needed (not a bad deal). It took me awhile to get the car fixed, but get it fixed I did... and I know now that I am not invincible driving a 944...
Current Stable: Black 07 Porsche Cayman S: FabSpeed Maxflo Exhaust; VividRacing ECU Tune; IPD Competition Plenum; 997GT3 Throttle Body; De-Snork'd.2011 Acura MDX. 2008 Mazda 3. Gone But Not Forgotten:Garnet Red 86 Porsche 951("The Purple Pig"). Silver 09 Mini Cooper S ("Mighty Mouse"). Alpine White 83 Porsche 944 ("Alpine Wolf"). Guards Red 84 Porsche 944. Green 97 Volvo 850 Wagon ("The Viridian Falcon").
Old 02-12-2004, 06:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

My Porsche has zero accidents. I keep it hidden under covers inside my garage When I do use it I excerise extreme caution

We live in a mad mad world!!!
Old 02-12-2004, 10:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

this one is emberassing
a couple years ago i totalled my camaro. being a jackass.
i got on it too hard. it had bigass 335 tires in the rear but they were cold, and it was a high traffic area with real smoothed out pavement. all the weight is up front so the rear just kicked out. i tried to counter steer but by then all 4 tires were sliding. i managed to turn in slightly to avoid hitting head on. slammed up the curb into a telephone pole, knocked over a parking meter (ha take that city of denton!), with no seatbelt and i was totally fine. very humbling.
thats what led me to the 944 so it was a good thing i guess
Old 02-12-2004, 05:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

I am am 23 and none yet knock on wood. I lady run into the back of my parked 1981 volvo 240 wagon when I was 19 though. Smashed her sunfire pretty good. I looked at mine(no damage what so ever), looked at hers said that's too bad about your car then got in mine and drove away hehe.

1994 Grand Cherokee
6inch Lift, 33" TSL'S
Old 02-12-2004, 06:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Deplorable Member

Garage
Did you at least get free coins out of the meter?

I saw a woman clobber one once and she sent quarters flying all over the place. Picked 'em up too! I don't think the cops questioned it when they eventually showed up. Hehe!

I had an absolutely MINT first year mustang GT 5.0 that I loved. I took it in for professional detailing & window tinting one day, then hit the road to go to work that afternoon. I was literally 15 minutes out of the detail shop on a 2-lane highway in Florida when I found myself on a damp road (it had just finished raining about 20 minutes before) and totalled it. The guy in front of me was in a POS pickup with no working brake lights so by the time I realized he was slowing down to turn off the highway (didn't expect that, the highway ran through the middle of a swamp with NOTHING around, so I just wasn't expecting him to turn off) it was too late. I tried to swerve right around him and possibly clip a mailbox that was there rather than hitting him, but no luck. Plowed right into the back of him with the worst possible part of the car - the driver's side right about where I was sitting. I'm DAMN lucky to be alive since his back bumper hit the driver's side door just in front of me and pushed it in about 2 feet. The impact pushed him into the opposite lane and a rental car full of vacationing tourists had to swerve and ended up flipping their rental into the ditch adjacent to the road.

The good part was that everyone was okay except I had a wicked seatbelt rash (although it almost certainly saved me) and I trashed the car and (obviously) got cited for the accident. I literally didn't drive for about 3 months afterwards (I was that shaken by it). I even bought another car about a month after the accident, but never drove it.

I'm a LOT more careful in my new love. I've had several cars since then, but the 944 I have now is the first one since the Mustang that I REALLY love. Needless to say, I'm VERY careful with it!

Lots of accidents here on wet roads, including mine. Be careful out there all!

---Jeff

Black Cars Matter
Old 02-12-2004, 08:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Porsche-O-Phile
Did you at least get free coins out of the meter?
actually i picked up the little coin canister and started to put it in the car when i relaized: "this is the stupidest thing ive ever done" so i wiped my finger prints off and got outa dodge before the fuzz showed up.
i actually saw an accident in the same spot later that day. i think they blamed him for the parking meter
Old 02-12-2004, 10:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by MrPants
this one is emberassing
a couple years ago i totalled my camaro. being a jackass.
i got on it too hard. it had bigass 335 tires in the rear but they were cold, and it was a high traffic area with real smoothed out pavement. all the weight is up front so the rear just kicked out. i tried to counter steer but by then all 4 tires were sliding. i managed to turn in slightly to avoid hitting head on. slammed up the curb into a telephone pole, knocked over a parking meter (ha take that city of denton!), with no seatbelt and i was totally fine. very humbling.
thats what led me to the 944 so it was a good thing i guess
Ummm. you get a time out! Five minutes with your nose in the corner, Hey when are we going to go cruise sometime?
928 OC member
PCA member
Old 02-12-2004, 10:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by justin
Hey when are we going to go cruise sometime?
id be all for it. maybe we can round up some guys in the area from the 914/911 boards. (i think we are the only 2 on this board. there was one other guy outside ft worth but he had to sell his 944)
Old 02-13-2004, 05:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: