Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
What would Darth Vader do

Send a message via Yahoo to Gordon Rankin
Extras on working on my car

I have an 83 944.. We took the dash off( tach, speedo and multi) yesterday to trouble shoot some electrical problems. When we finished there was an extra bulb that we could not figure where it came from. Does anyone know where this extra bulb might go to?

It is long enough to extend to the tach but there is no hole to fill there ( Taken up).

I theorize that I may have an 84 harness and the black and black /yellow wires are for the brake sensor light?
NEVER put a used water pump in your car...
Old 02-12-2004, 07:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to lousailor Send a message via Yahoo to lousailor
Hmmm... not sure. If you search the archive you may be able to find the thread that has early wire diagrams. I saw it recently

'85 (Early) 944 - Beater
'87 924S - Crunch/Rebuild
'76 924 - Long Gone
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."
- Mario Andretti
Old 02-12-2004, 07:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Gordon, is the bulb behind the cig lighter? In the middle console,by the oil gauge and clock? If so it goes in your vent levers,or if its like mine it just sits back there and lights up the hole for the cig lighter.
Good luck
928 OC member
PCA member
Old 02-12-2004, 10:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Nope, the wires are too short to reach that far..Will only go as far as the tach

Quote:
Originally posted by justin
Gordon, is the bulb behind the cig lighter? In the middle console,by the oil gauge and clock? If so it goes in your vent levers,or if its like mine it just sits back there and lights up the hole for the cig lighter.
Good luck
Old 02-12-2004, 10:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
To elaborate; the fitting the bulb is in is similar to the ones that fit into a plastic bezel such as the light for the early center console fresh air controls. This is not the self grounding type that illuminate the instruments. All of these are accounted for.

This is part of the wiring loom and not an add on. I don't remember having and "extra" light in my 83.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 02-13-2004, 06:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Is it the bulb for the O2 sensor replacement light? I'm not sure if the 944 has that, but the 924 does, up between the gauges.
Old 02-13-2004, 06:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Certified Rennwerker

Send a message via MSN to 924Sman
Shift indicator? Sman
Old 02-13-2004, 07:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Think the O2 light on the 924's is driven off of a gear box in the speedo cable. Also don't think the 924 instrument wire harness is the same as the 944 harness.

Shift indicator? Have to find out where that signal comes from. Gordon put another tach in that has the GPH/MPG gauge in it. Seems all of the wiring matched up correctly. Don't recall if the tach he removed had the MPG guage or not.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!

Last edited by SoCal Driver; 02-13-2004 at 07:42 AM..
Old 02-13-2004, 07:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Old tach did not have MPG gauge..
Old 02-13-2004, 08:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Certified Rennwerker

Send a message via MSN to 924Sman
Yes shift indicator light. I have one on mine though an 87. Located in the tach. Perhaps it is a later harness.
Old 02-13-2004, 10:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: