Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Not totally off topic

A friend of mine has a Baretta GTZ with a 2.3L Quad Four. This may seem off topic but I'm only asking my buddies here at Pelican because I value your opinions and because both the 944 and the Quad Four have Interference motors.

A couple days ago he got into a heated discussion with his ex-girlfriend and instead of taking his anger to a better place he expressed it to his car by getting in, firing it up, and redlining it for about 60 seconds; upon which time he dumped the clutch. Instead of anihalating the tires it "squaked" and lost most of its power.

The next day on his way to work about 6 miles down the road the car began to wrap and then knock progressively louder. He brought the car home and checked the oil which was low.

He decided to change the oil and found gasoline in the oil. The oil change had no effect on the situation. It still knocks and wraps.

I told him that he probably had weak rings and when redlining it experienced massive blowby. I told him that the damaged he had caused is probably irreversable.

Any advice from friends to another friend?

Thanks guys.

Maine 4x4 Club www.maine4x4.org
Old 02-13-2004, 02:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to FLA944 Send a message via Yahoo to FLA944
Congtulate him, he just took out his rod bearings and probably the mains as well. That quad 4 does not push enough oil to go to redline for any length of time

Have him pull the quad 4 a real POS and get a 2.8v6 out of the scrap yard. He will just love the torque
has never left garage (yet)
Old 02-13-2004, 02:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I agree, I had an early z24 hatchback with a 2.8 MPFI. Nice motor for the size of car.

Maine 4x4 Club www.maine4x4.org
Old 02-13-2004, 03:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

The best part is big increase in power for little cash. Best to pull one from an S10 or Blazer. Low HP stock 95horses but a whopping 200+ torque. Get an '85 or earlier non-Fuel injected put a holley double-pumper and drive with a smile.

I can see him burning the tires off now.
Old 02-13-2004, 03:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Air__Mike Send a message via Yahoo to Air__Mike
Thumbs up

To correct my good friend, the tires lit up fine and left a good 30+ feet of rubber, and then the power dissapeared and the knocking / rattling sound started 5 minutes later (same day). I can't control it, it is in my blood.... I realize it is only a 4 banger but the 180+ HP is nice. I guess I need to buy a car that can handle the punishment I put on em. I have had a licence 10 years -1 year of suspension and this is my 12th car, headed to #13 now. thoughts on a 89 Camaro RS 2,8 T-Tops. motor is rough but body is great, thinking of buying it and dropping in a new motor and tranny. maybe 305 or 350.

Thanx~
Old 02-13-2004, 03:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by FLA944
The best part is big increase in power for little cash. Best to pull one from an S10 or Blazer. Low HP stock 95horses but a whopping 200+ torque. Get an '85 or earlier non-Fuel injected put a holley double-pumper and drive with a smile.

I can see him burning the tires off now.

Ummm......ever actually driven a carbureted 2.8? They are the most underpowered V-6 Chevy ever produced.....and with a Holley double pumper, it would simply drown on its own slobber when you mashed on the throttle..

You do know that the Quad 4 in both 2.3 and 2.4 liters was the most advanced and potent 4 cylinder ever offered by Chevy, right? With a host of aftermarket upgrades available for cheap.
And a whole bunch of German scrap metal shaped like 924's.

Old enough to know better, and stupid enough to do it anyway!
Old 02-13-2004, 06:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Yeah I hear ya. My 2.3 hauls a*s.. well it did 2 days ago. But I wonder if it is worth the cash to rebuilt the 2.3 or look for a good used 2.3, or just junk the car. I hate to junk it, it has a ton of new parts. Starter, Alternator, PS Pump, Coil Pack, Struts, Lower Ball Joints, Tie Rod Ends, Tires, Belts, and muffler. All New. And I like the Quad 4, but they are hard to find and to buy a new long block will run me 2 Grand. I have the time to put into it but not a lot of cash. I plan to buy a bike for this Spring and Summer. I also like the fact that I have the fastest Beretta made including the GTs with the 6, the Quad 4 is more powerful and faster. Feels good to smoke a lot of 6s with my Quad 4. But I really love the 89 Camaro RS body with T-Tops. but the 2.8 isn't enough to push that car. do you think it is worth the cash to fix my 90 Beretta? Junk it? sell it for parts? I'm lookin for best bang for my buck, and as little work as possible, not that an engine swap or rebuild is easy by any means.

thanx~
Old 02-13-2004, 07:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

PS. The 89 Camaro is 2.8 Multi-Port EFI automatic, but the motor is a little rough. Body is mint. I can snag it for 400 as is, it runs but is weak.
Old 02-13-2004, 07:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Well, if the Camaro's body and interior are good its probably worth the $400.00. However, if you plan on swapping in a V-8 the cost goes way up. "Bang for the buck" is pretty good with the Camaro, and if built properly they are capable of handling a lot of abuse.

As far as rebuilding your 2.3: it would probably be easier and ultimately cheaper to find a good used engine.

Is it worth it? well, I dont know, depends on what you want and how well you like your car.
And a whole bunch of German scrap metal shaped like 924's.

Old enough to know better, and stupid enough to do it anyway!
Old 02-13-2004, 07:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Yeah I agree, I do love the Beretta, but I think her life is over and the Camaro project will end up turning into a better car. However I wonder what the Beretta is worth, with all those new parts, interior is fair to good, body is good a few dings and ents, but nothing major. Hell maybe I'll do both, fix the Beretta and sell it after, meanwhile working on the Camaro.

Thanx again.
Old 02-13-2004, 08:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

I was not knocking the 4. It is a good motor but due to the aging factor it could not push enough oil under pressure to lubricate the bearings hence, the knocking.

The 2.8 carbuerated is a good drop in for little $$. no need for the ecu big$$. If the 2.8 fi can be had from a barretta then just take the ecu and y pipe with it. If not all is needed is new motor mounts, hoses, and y-pipe all readily available at NAPA.

Yes, I did drive the 2.8 carbuerated '85 S10 4wd auto. Nasty at highway speeds but can pull a stump with the best of em. plows snow like a demon and pulled my 35' camper effortlessly. Now it has been retired as the farm truck and still pluggin in MA.

My '95 S10 2wd auto w/ 4.3 Vortek i am not that happy with. Ran both trucks in a shoot off and the '85 ran circles around me. but, the '95 will blow it away at speed.

$400 for an RS is good. Look around a little and you can find an RS 305 v8 for anywhere from $800 - $1500 no need to convert the drivetrain.

My 2 cents
Rick
Old 02-14-2004, 08:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: