Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Electric Porsche site up and running!

Hey, I just finished my site: ElectricPorsche.com

Currently it's a decent read through, and the best part of this site is the Porsche computer case.

Check it out, and post what you think!

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 02-14-2004, 11:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to TheCooler
You should put that electric supercharger on it ..lol
-2007 Ford PIMP(free)star ...company car....
-1999.5 Jetta VR6
Old 02-14-2004, 11:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

That'll be the next mod!

-Jeff
Old 02-14-2004, 01:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
vott does ziss do?

how much did you invest in the case?
Old 02-15-2004, 12:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I probably sunk $150-200 into it.

Cheap it was not. (darn glossy red cases cost a fortune)

But I'm VERY satisfied with the result.

-Jeff
Old 02-15-2004, 06:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
I think you are an ignorant nut case.

Go hug a tree.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 02-15-2004, 08:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

SoCal Driver, you've already flamed me in ONE forum. Please don't be so repetitive.

-Jeff
Old 02-16-2004, 06:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Writer/Teacher

Garage
Send a message via AIM to CJFusco
That's cool... the need for alternative energy sources is quickly approaching, some people just don't understand how dire the situation really is.
Current Stable: Black 07 Porsche Cayman S: FabSpeed Maxflo Exhaust; VividRacing ECU Tune; IPD Competition Plenum; 997GT3 Throttle Body; De-Snork'd.2011 Acura MDX. 2008 Mazda 3. Gone But Not Forgotten:Garnet Red 86 Porsche 951("The Purple Pig"). Silver 09 Mini Cooper S ("Mighty Mouse"). Alpine White 83 Porsche 944 ("Alpine Wolf"). Guards Red 84 Porsche 944. Green 97 Volvo 850 Wagon ("The Viridian Falcon").
Old 02-16-2004, 06:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Yea, it's pretty crazy. The wars over oil are starting and still people aren't getting it...

-Jeff
Old 02-16-2004, 07:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by Fuzzbeaner
SoCal Driver, you've already flamed me in ONE forum. Please don't be so repetitive.

-Jeff
Bugger off junior. Come back when your brain matures. If ever.
Old 02-16-2004, 09:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by CJFusco
That's cool... the need for alternative energy sources is quickly approaching, some people just don't understand how dire the situation really is.
The same thing was said in the 60's then in the 70's then in the 80's then in the 90's.

Chicken Little syndrome.

A lead acid powered electric car is NOT an alternative. It is a waste of time and resources.

Think "fuel cells".
Old 02-16-2004, 09:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by SoCal Driver
Bugger off junior. Come back when your brain matures. If ever.
Yes, pointing out that you already complained about my idea on another forum is truely juvinile.

Calling people things like "tree-hugger" and telling me my brain will never mature, these are the things that seperate the adults from the youngsters.

But, reguarding your fuel cell comment, I do agree. I think fuel cells are a very viable energy source, and likely will become our primary in a few decades. Though a lead-acid battery car may not be a permenant solution, remember, fuel cells just create electricity anyways. Many of the same challenges in making an electric vehicle today will apply in the future when H is powering the world.

-Jeff
Old 02-16-2004, 09:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

I too have my questions about the viability of full electric..

......Intellectually it does intrigue me however..

I have seen a few of the new hybrid designs where each individual wheel has its own motor which reduces polarity to brake....now that is interesting.

I think the largest holdbacks are in battery technology and/or solar cell ability...
...........there was that solar cell designed in Australia a few years ago that was supposed to take up 1/1000th the space but I haven't heard anything else about it.?

Also saw your Porsche case......Maybe you are a bit crazy too?
Old 02-16-2004, 09:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by TCMdocs944
I too have my questions about the viability of full electric..

......Intellectually it does intrigue me however..

I have seen a few of the new hybrid designs where each individual wheel has its own motor which reduces polarity to brake....now that is interesting.

I think the largest holdbacks are in battery technology and/or solar cell ability...
...........there was that solar cell designed in Australia a few years ago that was supposed to take up 1/1000th the space but I haven't heard anything else about it.?

Also saw your Porsche case......Maybe you are a bit crazy too?
Crazy like a fox! I'm from the Overclockers/case modder community, so this sorta thing is normal for my crowd.

Reguarding the car, battery technology is most definately the largest holdback. Today's batteries hold less then 1/100th the energy per weight of gasoline. There are some new technologies coming out, but even the best of those are something like 1/35th. Fuel cells, however, create DC current just like a battery. The lead-acid battery car is not the long term solution unless everyone has to drive less then 50-70 miles per day, but an H powered car will use almost all the same architecture.

For me, I like Porsches, I like the environment, and I like a project. An electric car is a great challenge, and one I'm willing to take on.

-Jeff
Old 02-16-2004, 10:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Why one engine instead of two O--EE--O
powering the rear wheels instead of front? Seems like you could sell the engine, sell her, use the bay for batteries....

No fuel in tank - 7-8 lbs per gallon could offset rear weight (maybe lighter rims and tires- the thing won't be going 140 afterall)
?
Old 02-16-2004, 10:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by Fuzzbeaner
Yes, pointing out that you already complained about my idea on another forum is truely juvinile.

Calling people things like "tree-hugger" and telling me my brain will never mature, these are the things that seperate the adults from the youngsters.

But, reguarding your fuel cell comment, I do agree. I think fuel cells are a very viable energy source, and likely will become our primary in a few decades. Though a lead-acid battery car may not be a permenant solution, remember, fuel cells just create electricity anyways. Many of the same challenges in making an electric vehicle today will apply in the future when H is powering the world.

-Jeff
You are an imature fool following envira-whacko montras.

And, as I expected, you refer to valid counter arguments as "complaints" and "flames".

You have proven beyond doubt that your brain is about the size of a pea when you pronounced your intention to convert any gas powered vehicle to lead acid battery electric motor power.

If GM couldn't do it with billions of dollars of research thinking you can do it in a two car garage is just plain foolish.
Old 02-16-2004, 11:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by SoCal Driver
You are an imature fool following envira-whacko montras.

And, as I expected, you refer to valid counter arguments as "complaints" and "flames".

You have proven beyond doubt that your brain is about the size of a pea when you pronounced your intention to convert any gas powered vehicle to lead acid battery electric motor power.

If GM couldn't do it with billions of dollars of research thinking you can do it in a two car garage is just plain foolish.
Valid counter arguments are fine, just try to avoid the insults. An ungrounded insult is indeed a flame. And GM did do it, do some more reasearch on that too. Just because they cut a program from pressure from oil firms doesn't make it a failure.

-Jeff
Old 02-16-2004, 12:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Well, Devils advocate here..

There ARE a couple of 944's on different internet sites that supposedly made the conversion very well. I couldn't find the link to my favorite - white, twin rear mounted engines- but a red one does pop up with a search.

I do have issues about whether you are really saving anything or not. You still have to plug the damn thing in...gas, oil, nuclear waste.....choose your poison.

Energy never dies, just changes form...we need to figure out how to make it change to a "good" form (hydrogen cell maybe) or start using some of the crappy forms we have already created.

I am a big fan of my gas guzzling, oil dripping, sports car..politically correct or not.
That said
I like the electric conversion for the "love of the game", engineering game that is..

Personally I am working on a nuclear waste powerplant for my 944 ;-)
Old 02-16-2004, 12:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by TCMdocs944
Well, Devils advocate here..

There ARE a couple of 944's on different internet sites that supposedly made the conversion very well. I couldn't find the link to my favorite - white, twin rear mounted engines- but a red one does pop up with a search.

I do have issues about whether you are really saving anything or not. You still have to plug the damn thing in...gas, oil, nuclear waste.....choose your poison.

Energy never dies, just changes form...we need to figure out how to make it change to a "good" form (hydrogen cell maybe) or start using some of the crappy forms we have already created.

I am a big fan of my gas guzzling, oil dripping, sports car..politically correct or not.
That said
I like the electric conversion for the "love of the game", engineering game that is..

Personally I am working on a nuclear waste powerplant for my 944 ;-)
And trust me, if I could afford a perfect condition gas guzzling 944 I would probably put my money into that instead of the electric. Hopefully electricity sources end up converting to being green, even if fuel cells don't take off. Around 10-15% of the emmissions of a gas vehicle come from the electric according to my source, but SoCal has cited a source that says 150-200% so go figure.

The electric conversion really is alot about love of the game and having a project. Hopefully my facts are right and it's good for the world....

-Jeff
Old 02-16-2004, 12:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Now where did I put that "Mr. Fusion", I know I left it right here next to the "Flux Capasitor"

Maine 4x4 Club www.maine4x4.org
Old 02-16-2004, 12:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: