Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Power Prom 2......HOLY *****!!!!!!!!

I installed FR Wilk's Power Prom 2 today.

I must say, after being somewhat skeptical based on the performance of past chips from other distributors, I am truly impressed.

Specifics:

Installation was a snap on a series 2 car, taking no more than 15 minutes. The only difference in installation between FR's chip and others is the addition of the jumper wire that connects to the harness which connects where the altitude switch used to plug into. By virtue of removing the jumper and reconnecting the altitude switch, the car reverts back to the factory fuel map. This is a welcome addition to those that live in states that have smog tests.

Installed vehicle: 1985.5 944 NA, 118K miles, manual transmission with limited slip differential.

Performance:

Performance was stunning. One of the problems with aftermarket chips is that they are normally a bit of a comprimise, sacrificing drivability for performance. The downside to this is, the dynamics of the vehicle change. stumbling, and flat spots in various places in the power curve are common. Additionally, most aftermarket chips have a requirement for higher octane fuel.

This is NOT the case with FR's chip.

What FR's chip seems to do, is spread out the power curve.

The car pulled effortlessly across the entire RPM range.

That "kick" you normally feel at around 3500 and the flat spot that creeps in above 5500 is GONE.

Also gone is the feeling that you've "hit the wall" and that you need to "push" through it with more throttle.

In practical numbers, from a standing start (0 MPH\approx 950 RPM),

Weather conditions: Rain, 65 deg F

Shift from 1st to 2nd: approx 6000 RPM, 37MPH
Shift from 2nd to 3rd: approx 5700 RPM, 62MPH
Shift from 3rd to 4th: Approx 6000 RPM, 82 MPH
Shift from 4th to 5th: Approx 4000 RPM, 95 MPH

Unable to test at higher speeds due to traffic on the freeway and degrading weather conditions.....

This is a distince improvement

Of note, I did not hit the rev limiter at any time. I kept my shifts conservative, as I generally do not like to shift above 6000. I did however feel that I could have gotten more speed if I had taken the car up to 6500. The 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gear performance was impressive. Usually in a 944, it is difficult to get the car above 30MPH in 1st gear without hitting the rev limiter.

Will post better numbers later this week when is is nice and dry. Also, if it is available, will run a dyno between FR's chip and the stock configuration.

Bravo FR!

AFJuvat

Ihr Brunnen der nutzlosen Porsche Information
Old 02-14-2004, 08:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to TNT25169
It's good to see someone backing FR with such passion. After the slanderous remarks said before about him, I think his feelings were hurt (mine would have been). I intend to purschase a chip from FR this summer, anything you think I should do first? My car is pretty stock aside from suspension. Thanks.
Old 02-14-2004, 09:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to TNT25169
When that person said that you were bad to deal with and your chip never worked in his sons car or something. It was several months ago.
Old 02-14-2004, 09:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to ds475
i wish i would've had a chance to try out your chip in my car... i was really excited about it... but i needed to save my money... good thing i did.

do you have chips for the turbos as well, or is it the same one?
Old 02-14-2004, 11:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

thatīs it,do you have one for the turbo?
Old 02-15-2004, 06:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to FLA944 Send a message via Yahoo to FLA944
Congrats' Juvy.

Glad to see someone finally posted results of the chip.

I wish the early was as easy to install I would do it now.

Talk at you later.
Rick
has never left garage (yet)
Old 02-15-2004, 07:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to bigyagi
i posted my results some time ago, after quite extensive testing, and i'm happy to see someone quite well known, and respected here on this board validating the results that i found. this is a great upgrade for the 944na, and does all that Mr frw says. once again, my thanks and congrats fpr an excellent product.
regards,bob.
2002 grand am--better halfs ride.
olds 98 royal brougham--gone, but not forgotten.
Old 02-15-2004, 09:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Burn the fire.

Garage
AFJuvat ... See if you can take some screens/pictures of the Dyno test with the hp/torque graphs. A comparison between stock and modified would be excellent. Plus it'd give FRWilk some pictures to post on his site of actual, tried and tested, performance increases

"Drive it like you stole it."
Old 02-15-2004, 09:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to todwic Send a message via Yahoo to todwic
Told ya so!
'86 951
Providing ignorance one post at a time.
Old 02-15-2004, 10:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Great write up !!!!

I have a chip on my list of things to do soon.

Luckily, I have been blessed with a " Special " DME . It's an 85.early with a DME that doesn't match the rest, but has a removable chip.

I've been thinking of a dual chip setup.
I just gotta get through smog once first.

Don
Old 02-15-2004, 10:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to ilikemy944
I've had mine for a long time Love it... you all need to buy it...

Current: '86 951 Sunroof Delete - '89 951 - '83 944 Spec - '08 Cayenne Turbo
Past: '88 924S Track - '86 944 16v - '87 951 - '87 951 - '88 951S - '08 Cayman S - '87 944 Track - '93 968
Old 02-15-2004, 11:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by FR Wilk
Rick, we do installations. Email me for an estimate.
Rick's in Florida and you're in LA - how would the install work? Have you got people certified to perform the upgrade in different parts of the US? I ask because I want the upgrade but, being in Chicago and you're in LA, figured there was no option for getting it installed.

Emanuel

Last edited by epbrown; 02-15-2004 at 01:00 PM..
Old 02-15-2004, 12:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

vott does ziss do?

Quote:

Manute, there is a Turbo chip in the works.
still waiting on Britwrench

Old 02-15-2004, 01:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to todwic Send a message via Yahoo to todwic
Quote:
The way it worked in the past is you UPS it to me and I UPS it back to you when it is done.
That's how I did it, and I only lived 30 miles away.
'86 951
Providing ignorance one post at a time.
Old 02-15-2004, 09:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Manute, there is a Turbo chip in the works.

Perfect.
We should try it in Roninīs car, if it works, iīd buy one,if not,I hope Roninīs car get destroyed. Iīll be happy in either case.
Old 02-16-2004, 05:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to FLA944 Send a message via Yahoo to FLA944
I'm going to Anaheim on Wed. Want me to bring it?

Sorry, Bob forgot all about your post.

Rick
has never left garage (yet)
Old 02-16-2004, 05:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

That was supposed to be my next purchase about a year ago....

then..

oil cooler
valve job
oil seals
battery box
cooling sorted
vacuum sorted

.....Hey! I think I am finally ready! (knocking furiously on wood)
Old 02-16-2004, 11:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to schlag
Awesome. Now that you can hit 60 in second gear, you eliminate the time delay caused by the second->third shift.

Think you can pull a sub-7 run to 60mph for us?
Old 02-16-2004, 01:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Is this car stock? Mine is, and if i redline 2nd ill reach about 60 MPH, you were at 5700 going 62? Is that because of the chip?

Also, does FR Wilk make one for a 1986? I was looking for a chip and i dont know where to get a good one, but ill get FR Wilk's if he has one for a 1986.
Old 02-16-2004, 07:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

your website says off road use only for the power prom 2? What does that mean? like we can go do some 4 wheel action up mountains and stuff?

And whats the difference between the rev limit 6,500 and 7000 RPM
Old 02-16-2004, 07:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: