Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Smile Mods on my Car, what a difference

I have a 85.5 late model porsche 944 N/A and as soon as i got it about 6 months ago i was looking for ways to make it faster. I have succeded by adding the following components:

MSD 6A Ignition
MSD Blaster 2 Coil
K&N Filter, removed stock box
Dme Chip, forgot which company
huntley 10.3 mm spark plug wires
bosch platinum +4 plugs

With all of these low cost addition to my car, i can easily beat all of my friends ricers. I don't know how fast the car is supposed to go, but I have been in it goin 145 down the freeway at 5200 rpm what a ride.

Can anyone tell me what other mods i can do to my car to increase performance, i know that there are a lot of mods out there that no one really knows about?
Old 02-16-2004, 09:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to will944
I put Bursch exhaust on my NA....it helped up here at 5000+ feet above sea level. Maybe a lightened flywheel as well...help put more power to the ground.

If I were you, I would start working on the suspension, brakes, and general upkeep of the car. You will find your car drives much better with some stiffened suspension and springs, and making sure all the regular maintenace is done
87 951
C3 Stingray
Old 02-16-2004, 09:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Other stuff besides the engine

Besides engine components, i also added the short shift linkage from 944racing.com, WOW, what a difference, the car just clicks into gear with a little flick of the wrist. Installation was easy too. I have been looking for beeter brake calipers, because i just got vented rotors, but all of the ones for my application are over $500 for the set. Seeing as i only paid $2000 for the car, I don't want to buy any one thing that costs more than the car did. I also changed the differencial fluid.

When i bought the car, it had some problem, but the interior was mint. It's white with a full leather tan interior, everythign is perfect. I love my car.

It did have, and still has a couple of problems that need fixing. Recently I noticed that my power steering pump pulley was a little corcked so i looked closer and i saw that the bolt holding it on was completely broken in half, that is weird seeing as it is about a 3/4" by about 5" bolt. That a job for the weekend. Also my car has begun to smoke a bit so i suspect the piston rings. I just purchased a newly rebuilt head for $200 that is the cleanest head i have ever seen, i plan to put it on in the near future, because the car has about 200,000 miles on it. That's all i can think of right now. Reply if you know of some good cheap mods.
Old 02-16-2004, 10:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Burn the fire.

Garage
I'd say get a rebuild done on the engine first. That should have been #1 on your list before mods. If you try to squeeze out as much power out of a tired engine, you'll kill it faster. Whereas if you mod a fresh, rebuilt engine, it's longetivity isn't reduced as much.

"Drive it like you stole it."
Old 02-16-2004, 10:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

How much smoother did the ignition system make your car...Any noticable improvement?

Got a pic of that interior?

Just curious - did you try the normal ol bosch $1.99 plugs that are recommended vs the plus 4? I have heard multi plugs can decrease performance.?
Old 02-16-2004, 10:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Writer/Teacher

Garage
Send a message via AIM to CJFusco
"With all of these low cost addition to my car, i can easily beat all of my friends ricers"

It sounds like you bought the car for the wrong reasons...
Current Stable: Black 07 Porsche Cayman S: FabSpeed Maxflo Exhaust; VividRacing ECU Tune; IPD Competition Plenum; 997GT3 Throttle Body; De-Snork'd.2011 Acura MDX. 2008 Mazda 3. Gone But Not Forgotten:Garnet Red 86 Porsche 951("The Purple Pig"). Silver 09 Mini Cooper S ("Mighty Mouse"). Alpine White 83 Porsche 944 ("Alpine Wolf"). Guards Red 84 Porsche 944. Green 97 Volvo 850 Wagon ("The Viridian Falcon").
Old 02-16-2004, 10:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to SlowToady
You can:

Lighten your crank.
Get some forged, higher compression pistons
get lighter connecting rods
fork over some cash for Ti valve springs
get the head ported and polished
5 angle valve job
new cam
Adjustable Aluminium cam pulley
lighter flywheel
springless "race" clutch
custom made (aka, LIGHTER) torque tube
ceramic coated headers (who makes 944 N/A headers? Either way, ceramic coat em'..makes for a denser exhaust charge)

..all that for only a million and a half bucks..or something like that. But hell, if you got the money, that'd be a REAL sweet ride.

If I had an insane amount of money, that's what I'd do, just because that would be one hell of a fun engine.

Remember: Your 944 is not a drag car. It wasn't then, and it still isn't now. And yes, invest in brakes, too. I love brakes. I drove this guy's new Infinity G35 at work, and the brakes were damn impressive. Sure, I was only doing about 10mph (parking lot) but I just TAPPED, and I do mean TAPPED, the brake pedal and the car stopped, hard. I thought I hit something, that's how hard it stopped. I like it:-D

Hope your not stingy or cheap, Porsche's don't make cheap Mistresses.
Old 02-16-2004, 11:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

What about simply using insulating wrap on the headers?

Also have heard some interesting things lately about cooling the fuel before it enters the cylinder?

(both seem relatively inexpensive / safe)
Old 02-16-2004, 11:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to ds475
no, trying to get the most out of your car, and humbling a few ricers while you're at it.

DAMMIT i want another 944 already...

which mods increased performance the most? the MDS and chip seem like they would wield the most gain.

to tell you the truth, i don't know why i would leave this board. i still love wasting time at work here.
Old 02-16-2004, 11:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

The previous owner of the car was a mechanic that took excellent care of the engine, so i have great compression. It was compression checked with 180 in every cylinder. I am going to put a practically new head on soon which will help as well with the 200,000 mile car.
Old 02-16-2004, 01:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to SlowToady
Quote:
What about simply using insulating wrap on the headers?
You could do that no problem if you didn't want to spend the money for new headers (I did find them once, and they were $800. No thanks..), the same effect would be had. A denser exhaust charge so it flows faster. The benefits of an aftermarket header depend on the design, that's another selling point if you happen to have tons of cash. I don't know about Porsche engines, but in the Chevy/Ford/etc community, switching to Y tube headers will most often improve low-mid range torque. I'd like to try it on a 944, personally. I'm not sure if the exhaust manifold on the 944 is mandrel bent, but I'd guess it's not. There's another point for the aftermarket stuff. But again, it carries a price tag.

I'm giving a few brain cycles to the cooling of the gas..seems interesting.

Oh yea, more mod. fun.

Put in a new thermostat, one that opens at a lower temp. Keep the engine cooler, because cold air makes more power.

I'm going to hazard a guess that Porsche stuck a larger radiator in the 951 than the N/A. Maybe slap one of them in.

Get a bigger throttle body, or have yours made larger.

Higher # fuel injectors?

Happen to have a degree in engineering? You could design a new intake manifold, maybe with longer plenium runners for a different/improved torque curve. Yea, that one's getting on the "yea right" side of things, but hey...I was reading Excellence from a month or so ago and these dudes designed a new one for a 968 Turbo conversion.

::shrug:: Any car can be modified, what you can do depend on how fat your wallet it, how much patience and time you have, and the size of your balls. Yes, the size of your balls. You gotta have some big ones to play with an engine where a rebuild is in the realm of a couple grand...
Old 02-16-2004, 05:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

The intake manifold is interesting..

Inside it is "rough" and rather bendy. I have heard that porting and polishing it...even done "right" yeild virtually no effects...even somewhat hinder airflow..

Seems these rough bumps inside create just the right turbulence to increase and distribute flow to the cylinders.

I, personally, am interested in lowering temps overall and smooth running. If I could bolt on $200 of increased smoothness I would slap my credit card down any day.
Old 02-16-2004, 05:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Burn the fire.

Garage
Port and polish? I thought the honda civic racer's inexpensive fix was hooking the intake up to a hose into a bag of fine silica sand...

For polishing, next use a can of laquer finish...

"Drive it like you stole it."
Old 02-16-2004, 07:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by CJFusco
"With all of these low cost addition to my car, i can easily beat all of my friends ricers"

It sounds like you bought the car for the wrong reasons...
Don't worry. His ticket for "wreckless" driving has him grounded.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 02-17-2004, 05:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

The only real mod there I saw that could of yielded any power increase would of been the chip.

The ignition mods would of only made a difference if the factory ignition had warn components, bad wires, coil, etc...

A K&N filter could cause a slight improvement in power, but with stock exhaust, a performance gain would of been minimal, depending on condition of the paper filter(5hp or less).

145mph is roughly 10mph higher than the tested top speed of the car from the factory. With the CD of the car, and the given factory horsepower, and changing none of the aerodynamics, it would require roughly 100hp in mods to achieve that speed. I saw enough mods in the original post to maybe net you 12hp on a good day.
02 Altima SE 3.5 - grocery go-getter
00 Yellow Ducati Monster 900i.e. 88 Chrysler Conquest TSi
Old 02-17-2004, 07:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

i know what the speedo said, so if you don't belive me then i don't care.
Old 02-17-2004, 11:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Feelin' Solexy

Rrrrrrow! Hiss Hiss!
Apordes, the 944 speedo is notoriously optomistic at upper MPH. Try a GPS unit next time.
And I agree with above, unless there was something wrong with your ignition to begin with the extras you added are going to get you next to nothing.
And get rid of the "platinum" plugs, excellence did a test (with actual dynos, mind you) that showed that they were detrimental. Go with the OEM Bosch units, or even better the cold bosch units, end get some index washers so you can index them.
Old 02-17-2004, 12:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

it's correct

When i was driving 145, i was with my friend side by side until 130 then i pulled away, we both were on the phone together checking the speedo. He has a Honda EX 2003 which tops out at about 130ish. I know that some people are skeptical, but i am not. Things were going by so fast it felt like the blur effect like on fast and the furious.
Old 02-17-2004, 03:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Feelin' Solexy

WOW Just like Fast and Furious! ****ing awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-17-2004, 04:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Re: it's correct

Quote:
Originally posted by Apordes
When i was driving 145, i was with my friend side by side until 130 then i pulled away, we both were on the phone together checking the speedo. He has a Honda EX 2003 which tops out at about 130ish. I know that some people are skeptical, but i am not. Things were going by so fast it felt like the blur effect like on fast and the furious.
You need profesional help!

You weren't doing 145 MPH! What the Fu*K were you doing on the phone traveling at a high rate of speed? Do you have a death wish? Do you have a murder wish? The fact that you reffered your activity to "The Fast and the Furious" says to me that you are very young and imature or old and in need of therapy.

Sell your car you dont deserve it.

Skepticism has nothing to do with it. Its more like reality. You should visit sometime.

Maine 4x4 Club www.maine4x4.org
Old 02-17-2004, 04:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: