Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to schlag
Angry Brake clunk

Seems like when I come to a stop at slow speeds, my brakes CLUNK from the righthand side.

If I brake at high speeds, this clunk does not occur. It only happens if I'm coming to a slow stop such as at a stop sign or traffic light. Oddly, once I am fully stopped/idle, and I pump or press the brakes again the sound does not occur. It only happens if I am rolling slowly to a stop.

Any ideas on what this could be?
Old 02-16-2004, 01:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Control arm bushing?

Thinking suspension first.

Warped rotor?
Pads need a changin'?

Definately not an expert on the clunks..just giving you a friendly "bump"
Old 02-16-2004, 03:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
I suspect your rotor on the passenger front side may be too thin. The clunking you hear may be the brake pad making contact with the rotor.

I've had this problem for a while, and my shop determined that my rotors are below the minimum thickness per Porsche specs. But mine will be resolved for me this week: new rotors, baby!

-Z.

Visit my homepage!
<><
Old 02-17-2004, 06:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

So if the rotor is thin, how does the clunk come about? I would think if the rotor was thin, the only side-effect would be less surface contact?
Old 02-17-2004, 08:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to will944
Is it only at low speed but hard braking?? Try coming to a stop at a light and gently use the brakes....does it still happen?

My 951 has the same problem....clunks at low speed but hard braking. The maintenance done to my car to fix it includes...full inspection of mounts, new rotors and bearings, new bushings castor blocks and control arms.

So....I have no idea where it is coming from. I am pretty much waiting for it to fail on me....not much else to do...it has been checked out twice but nobody can find anything.
87 951
C3 Stingray
Old 02-17-2004, 08:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by schlag
So if the rotor is thin, how does the clunk come about? I would think if the rotor was thin, the only side-effect would be less surface contact?
I believe the reason you get the clunk is because the area between the caliper is too great for the caliper to make up for it. (IE: there is too much space between the brake pad, the caliper, and the rotor) Granted, this space is very tiny, but enough to cause the thunking sound.

-Z.

Visit my homepage!
<><
Old 02-17-2004, 08:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Lightbulb

UPDATE: When I partially press the brake down at certain speeds, there is a RATTLE RATTLE RATTLE clunky sort of vibration coming from the same region as the other sound (front passenger side I believe). When I nail the brake harder, the sound stops.

Does this narrow it down any?
Old 02-18-2004, 12:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to will944
Well...it definitely seems to be something with the pad making contact to the rotor to me.....
87 951
C3 Stingray
Old 02-18-2004, 01:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Easy to change the pads out right.

Probably need it anyway from what it sounds.
Old 02-18-2004, 02:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: