Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Post Gauge Light Bulbs...

Had my instrument cluster out today, intending on replacing a few burnt out bulbs - as well as fixing the "dim-instruments at night" problem.

Does anybody know of a source for the:

Lights that light up the instrument panel?

AND

The lights for INSIDE the gauges (High Temp, Low Fuel, Low Voltage, Low Oil Pressure)

These bulbs are NOT the standard instrument bulbs. (If I had thought about it, I should have taken pictures)

AFJuvat

Old 10-12-2001, 07:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to ae1969
dealer would have the bulbs (porsche/vw).... fairly cheap...

the dim dash issue...people have used, foil, chrome paint...etc. and have had some half decent results.....check the archives....

alex
Old 10-12-2001, 07:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

AFJuvat, what year is your car? If it's one close to 90 944S2, here are some notes of what I did on it.

10, On the bottom of the unit you can see three pieces of plastic glass. Note: don't take them off. You can see some silver-color paint on them. I used some white toothpaste and a piece of cloth or whatever you have to clean them until you can see them are clear. Wipe with a clean damp towel.

11, On the back of the gauge unit, locate three main dash light bulbs, 3 WHITE nubs. Take them out. Clean the holes where the bulbs go into with damp towel.

12, Now you need to make a trip to Wal Mart or any parts store. Take one bulb with the nub with you. Buy three 12v 3w bulbs and a roll of chrome tape (I think it 3M brand.) Your old bulb is 2w, but I use 3w for brighter.

13, Tape the three plastic glass and bulb holes by cutting the tape in right shape.

14, Put everything back on by reversing this procedure.

After that you will get readable dash at night. Note: wear sunglasses when you turn on the light. :-)

Old 10-12-2001, 08:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to diannone
i took the 3 light tunnels off, clean them with mek, methel ethel ketone, it took off all the paint, used the chrome tape and found some 2.3 watt bulbs at pepboys, and did the tape in the holes where the bulbs are. you might need to go to porsche for the small bulbs. now i run the dash about 1/2 brightness. but i also put on white faces.

Old 10-12-2001, 09:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: