Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to ColeLauterbach
I think I have the same leak. Did you ever find the culprit? Reading these posts suggest that I check the OP sending unit. I think also, that the oil cooler housing would be leaking water, not oil...

1984 944, 1996 Jetta, 1998 New Beetle, 2001 Passat, 1997 Expedition, 2004 Yamaha FZ6, 1985 & 1987 Suzuki LT230S, 1982 Cessna 172, 1989 Bayliner Capri 5.0 HO

Toys are Good.
Old 10-24-2004, 07:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to SlowToady
Quote:
I DID change the oil filter w.i.w.i.t. with the seals...Could I have screwed that up?
IMO, probably not. It would more than likely drip more than a few drops every few hundred miles. If it's not tight enough, that's easy to check, just give it a nice turn with your hand and a shop towel. If the oil gasket were bad, you'd notice quite a bit more oil. Like, it'd be on your driveway/highway, not in the block.

When I did my belts, I didn't bother to reseal the front of the engine because it wasn't leaking, and I was really careful when I did it so I don't have too much useful input.

Fakelife.com Nothing to do with archery anymore. Porsche/BMW/Ferrari/Honda videos
Old 10-24-2004, 07:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to bluebullet
hmm that is quite odd. My oil filter used to drip quite a lot of oil, but i wasnt using a factory filter. I used a Hastings, and the ring is too small and it doesnt sit all the way on the filter housing. Its so small it actually will cut up the rubber ring, and it leaks pretty bad. My front subframe under the filter and all along underneath that car is all gritty and grimy now because of it. My oil press sender was leakin a little, so I pulled that out and put teflon tape around the threads to seal it up. So far its been bone dry since.
Old 10-24-2004, 11:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to SlowToady
/*In response to bluebullet*/

That's pretty odd, I can't believe they'd market a filter for your car (the 944 or the Colt?) that obvioulsy isn't designed properly. I'm sure it would have been such a huge engineering feat for them to fix that...::shrug:: That's one of the reasons I stick with well known filters. My oil filter housing is bone dry using a Napa filter (made by WIX).

In any event, it's been my experience that if a gasket is bad (not improperly designed, but defective) it will leak a lot of oil VERY quickly, and it will be everywhere. All over. I don't see it very often (thank God, what a mess to clean up), but after 5,000+ oil changes I've seen my fair share. TCM, if the problem was with the oil filter gasket, it'd be much more obvious (IMO). On a side note though, this last Saturday I got a Taurus with a bad gasket come in, and the next filter I grabbed leaked, too! Third time was a charm, no leaks. Kinda a ****ty way to start the day...

Figure it out and tell us, inquiring minds want to know, TCM!

Fakelife.com Nothing to do with archery anymore. Porsche/BMW/Ferrari/Honda videos
Old 10-25-2004, 05:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to ae1969
Get some engine dye.........and a black light.

No need to de-grease engine or nothing. Just throw it in! Run for 10 minutes and start looking.

No guessing.
www.edmontonrealestate.ws
Old 10-25-2004, 05:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Garage
OK guys, i am new to 944s and guess what? Mine is leaking too... and badly. Id say 3 pints a month.... Whats the best way to know from where its leaking? What are the USUAL culprits? Thanks for helping.
Old 10-25-2004, 06:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to bluebullet
The oil filter prob was for the Porsche. the one i have on the colt has a very wide surface area for the gasket to sit on and it has nice rounded edges....its not a cast part like the Porsche one is.

So whatever you do guys, stay away from Hastings filters. They dont fit the 944. I went thru 2 because i didnt have a choice and they leaked like hell cuse of me splitting up the o-rings..
Old 10-25-2004, 08:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

It sounds like you have a leak at the front main seal (for the bottom leak) I would venture to guess that your seal is installed incorrectly, or the wrong seal was installed. Also, are you sure you installed the O-ring behind the crankshaft pulley? If you installed the pulley, are you sure you put the washer that goes between the O-ring and pulley back on?

ANother possible cause (though it seems unlikely from your description) is that you switched balance shaft seals. the upper seal is supposed to be 47mm, the lower one is 48mm. If you get them switched, they will leak.

The upper leak coming off of the oil cooler\pressure sender is a tough one - many front upper engine leaks wind up at this location to drip off.

A few of the possibilities are:

Bad filter seal\extra oil filter gasket
Camshaft seal incorrectly installed\wrong seal installed
Camshaft pulley rear housing o-ring
Camshaft Mylar (onion) seal between camshaft and Camshaft "nose" piece
Camshaft rear pulley housing oil return O-ring\seal (that small little rubber seal on rear of rear pulley housing)
Valve cover gasket
Failed oil cooler gasket\seal

With the engine cold and not running, start at the top of the motor in and around the front of the camshaft and start feeling\looking for oil and work your way down. If you find a wet spot behind and just belowthe camshaft pulley housing, you've most likely found the source of your leak.

AFJuvat

Ihr Brunnen der nutzlosen Porsche Information
Old 10-26-2004, 04:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Garage
man, i am sure happy to know this board, and its members, will be there if and when i need them!! thanks juvie, from all of us!

dr tom
Old 10-26-2004, 08:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

*this was a resurrected post, I fixed the problem in feb*

Now, here is what I did wrong.

I slightly damaged my upper balance shaft seal upon installation. It was sending oil up and along the case seal.

Coincidentally at the time my cam housing gasket had settled from the valve job I did the previous year. My cam bolts were all a few nm's loose.

Tightened up, leaks stopped.

Exercise great care with the balance shaft seals. I am not a mangler, it was just 'slightly' damaged.

Thanks for all the new help though
Old 10-26-2004, 08:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: