Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Composite Shop Owner, DJ

Send a message via MSN to MixMasterK Send a message via Yahoo to MixMasterK
Hey SoCal!....

You said your first car was a '79 924. Mine is also and I still have it. What are your thoughts on it other than it being underpowered?
Old 02-17-2004, 06:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to todwic Send a message via Yahoo to todwic
Socal sez "Now I drive a 944. Read from that what you will."
'86 951
Providing ignorance one post at a time.
Old 02-17-2004, 09:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
I loved that car!

We (the first wife and I) had been searching for a new sporty two door. She had a 59 Karman Ghia with a 1600 in it and I had a street Baja with a 2 liter in it. While I had chopped the body front and rear I had special wide rims made and ran low profile tires (for the time) with a stiffen suspension for street, not cross country, handling.

We had bought one of the econo boxes of the time (late 70's) and while it was roomy it just lacked the get up and go of the VW's.

So in late 78 we looked at the 924. Did a test drive and fell in love with the handling and found the "go factor" acceptable for the time. Not a dragster but once it was wound up; oh boy!
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 02-18-2004, 01:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Composite Shop Owner, DJ

That is true. Once it gets going, it does pretty well. I have noticed that at 110mph the back end feels a little on the "light" side. Almost as if the thing would spin pretty quickly if a wrong move was made. I too have been fairly impressed with mine. Although it is funny how many of the parts are still spendy. But hey, 27-29 MPG isn't bad for a car that's over 20 years old. The one thing I found is that these cars are the only ones that I can drive for a long trip without my a$$ hurting after half an hour.
Old 02-18-2004, 07:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
I stand erected.
'86 951
Old 02-18-2004, 09:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by todwic
I stand erected.
ROFLAO
928 OC member
PCA member
Old 02-18-2004, 09:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Deplorable Member

Garage
Just out of curiousity, were you up here in Long Beach on Saturday night? I was filling up just off of Carson and a guy (wearing a Porsche jacket, but unfortunately driving a *shudder* minivan) struck up a conversation with me about "hey, I own one of those. . ." Obviously someone around here - just wondering if it was you.

Black Cars Matter
Old 02-18-2004, 09:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
naw, it wasn't me. Could've been if it was 6months ago, I used to live in Lakewood. Wait, I don't drive a mini van. But there are quite a few 944 owners in that area. COLD BASS lives in Cypress, There's a guy that drives one identical to my N/A. We pulled in right next to each other at the UPS hub in Long Beach. Cool.
'86 951
Old 02-18-2004, 09:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Deplorable Member

Garage
Heh,

Just curious. . . I think this guy was doin' the family thing so it's partially excusable - he had 2 child seats in the van. Still, even with 2 kids, I can't understand why anyone would ever get such a vehicle (that's why I said PARTIALLY excusable). I'm NEVER getting a minivan. Ever. If I ever do, please someone - one 9mm right between the eyes. Please. I'd prefer to not have to live with the humiliation. A guy's gotta have standards, right?

I always kind of considered the rear seats of the 944 as sort of "built in child seats" since that's about only who could fit back there. Don't think that one would fly with the law though.

Black Cars Matter
Old 02-19-2004, 12:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
I've got a couple of 10 yr old nephews (smallish) and it works great. I don't even have to scoot my seat up. I love it when the fall asleep and I bang thier heads together by wiggling my steering wheel. They wake up PISSED!
'86 951
Old 02-19-2004, 02:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Deplorable Member

Garage
LOL!

I've got to remember that one!

Black Cars Matter
Old 02-19-2004, 05:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by MixMasterK
That is true. Once it gets going, it does pretty well. I have noticed that at 110mph the back end feels a little on the "light" side. Almost as if the thing would spin pretty quickly if a wrong move was made. I too have been fairly impressed with mine. Although it is funny how many of the parts are still spendy. But hey, 27-29 MPG isn't bad for a car that's over 20 years old. The one thing I found is that these cars are the only ones that I can drive for a long trip without my a$$ hurting after half an hour.
We would take off for long weekends just to drive the car. Had to take turns. Go up PHC to Fort Ross or through the Sierra Nevadas to Reno. The seats were and still are the most comfotable buckets I've ever sat in.

I would even take long lunches just to drive it.

What really got me was that the car was NEW at the time. Boy did we get the stares and questions. Like being a CeeLeb!
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 02-19-2004, 11:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Composite Shop Owner, DJ

Too bad the resale value isn't back to $10,000 yet.
Old 02-19-2004, 04:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: