Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Porsche Crest Turbo Lag

Hi all,

Been away for a little while consoling myself at the loss of my S2 and my bird in the same month!

I'm looking at getting a turbo as there seem to be more around, but one thing concerns me is turbo lag, do 951s suffer from it?

I had a saab turbo once and it was unbearable.

Come on guys this could be a life changing decision!!
( )'92 Renault Clio 1.4 :

Old 02-18-2004, 05:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I dont know man..i dont think so..

the K26 Spools up pretty damn nicely..

It's i guess comprable to the garret t3..my friend had that in his volvo 740...that thing always spooled up pretty quickly..and you have 200 ccs on him :P

His car was a 2.3
Old 02-18-2004, 05:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Certified Rennwerker

Send a message via MSN to 924Sman
Yes there is lag. You need to keep the rpm up to counter. Sman
Old 02-18-2004, 05:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Yes,my experience says engine is dead below say 3.500 rpm,a chariot would overtake you below that rpm.But then at about 3500-4000 rpm power comes quicly but smooth,there are no surprises.

You´ll miss the low end torque,but probably appreciate the high rev power and softness,and i think fuel economy would be slightly better at medium speeds.

My 2 cents:if you are planning to cruise or travel at high speeds,it would be the perfect choice,otherwise,if you use it often in city driving,I´ll look for another S2.
Old 02-18-2004, 06:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks Manute, that is exactly what I wanted to know!

Another S2 it is, since I drive every day in the City and only get a long journey in once a month!

Cheers guys! Watch this space....
( )'92 Renault Clio 1.4 :

Old 02-18-2004, 06:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Lag is fairly easy to get rid of though. Larger exhaust system. Better flowing headers, downpipe and cat. Better flowing intake. And a good electronic boost controller can virtually eliminate lag.

I'm not sure how much of that if readily available on the market for a 951. But as a comparison, here's what I did to my Conquest.

Stock boost level was 10.5psi or so. It had a dual stage controller on it that limited it to 7psi of boost til the rpms reached 4k.

The Conquest also had soft reinforced hose for it's IC plumbing. And a fairly restrictive IC to throttlebody pipe. I replaced all the 1 3/4 hoses with some 2" mandrel bent pipe. The IC to throttlebody pipe was replaced with a 2.5" pipe.

The car had a fairly small diameter exhaust setup, 2 ¼" pipe, with dual cat's. I replaced the system with a full 3" mandrel bent system from the turbo housing out to the tip of the muffler. The new system only has 1 high flow cat, instead of the dual cats.

The restrictive airbox and intake boot were replaced with a smoother flowing 3" setup with a K&N filter. Boost control is now controlled by a Greddy ProfecB, which has circuitry for controlling boost to the wastegate(they call it 'Anti-lag').

What all this added up to:

Max boost stock : 10.5psi @ 4.5krpms.
Max boost current : 16psi @ 4krpms(not completely verified, as the tach moves pretty fast up there).

Boost start at rpm stock : 5psi @ 2800rpms.
Boost start at rpm mods : 5psi @ 1600rpms(2nd gear testing to verify).

I haven't had it dyno tested, but other's claim close to a 60hp 100ft.lb. increase at the crank,
02 Altima SE 3.5 - grocery go-getter
00 Yellow Ducati Monster 900i.e. 88 Chrysler Conquest TSi
Old 02-18-2004, 06:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

there is realy not any lag at all
Old 02-24-2004, 06:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to fast924S
Like BlueQuest said, Turbo lag isnt hard to get rid of, A little bit of money will make it a really sweet ride. Pluse turbo's is where the power is at. Most turbos have many upgrades that show large HP gains, PLUS they sell cool blow off valves that let everyone know its a turbo. Good luck
Old 02-24-2004, 06:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

in stock form or just stock w/chips there is definitely lag but it can be reduced with a bigger turbo(cold side), mass air flow, map system, lightweight flywheel, exhaust, etc.

BUT, don't scratch of the 951 without test driving one first, you'll change your tune. your experience with the Saab may not be a good comparison to the 951, stock with chips is around 270flywheel hp.

In regards to the 951 vs. S2 decision, personally I'd also pick the S2, but I'd turbocharge it!
Old 02-24-2004, 06:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
vott does ziss do?

how do you get rid of lag? learn how to drive

I keep hearing this argument all the time. the turbo lag is not that big of a deal if you simply adjust your driving style

to begin with, unless you're constantly wanting to drag off the line, the lag won't be much of a detriment. learn to keep the Rs up and use effective heel-and-toeing, and you'll defnitely be way ahead of any klutz with an S2 (no offense, Flange ) I've been driving my '51 for ten years with the last few as a daily driver and I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world. a well-driven 951 can beat the pants off of an S. and learning how to drive one correctly is one hell of a satisfying feeling

besides, you know you want that kick-in-the-pants lighting of the afterburners feeling, don't you?

as for Manute's garbage scow, it's not that any 951 is that slow below 3500, it's just his car
Old 02-25-2004, 12:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
vott does ziss do?

yeah, yeah Manute. I know. STINKIN' RONIN!
Old 02-25-2004, 12:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Never trust a german traitor that bought his car from Al Qaeda....

Maybe he says that because my car is half mileage than his,and pure german eurospecs....No,don´t trust him,my car is almost perfect.

And I bet Flanger is appreciating the incredible "afterburner" boost when he is at the city...he would be very please with british cops afterburner tickets

So If you think mine´s slow,we will go everywhere at 50 mph or less with my 4 gear 1.1 fiesta here,agree? So forget the girls,my car was your only chance of flirting.

Understood, STINKIN´ RONIN??

Old 02-25-2004, 06:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to perfecto951
after reading all this about how nicely a k26 spools i wonder if i even have one. my lag is insane, and when it does spool you'd better hold on and be in a straight line, otherwise it will turn the car sideways. i was on my way to the dorms this morning and with wet road i would break traction in 3rd gear at about 4800rpms.

looks like it's time to see if i have any more secret mods i didn't know about.
Old 02-25-2004, 07:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Hahahaha...that's great dude

But why were you at 4800 in 3rd? :|
Old 02-25-2004, 09:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
vott does ziss do?

Quote:
Originally posted by Manute
So If you think mine´s slow,we will go everywhere at 50 mph or less with my 4 gear 1.1 fiesta here,agree? So forget the girls,my car was your only chance of flirting.
HA! if you're around, there will be no chance of flrting with the girls to begin with. chicas don't dig unemployed JU 52 pilots! especially those that make oil like they're trying to compete with OPEC and smoke more than a battery of Nebelwerfers! oh wait, I forgot. you're James Bond's distant Spanish cousin. hey that gives me an idea, we could call the Fiesta Tante Ju

also, have to agree with Zlatko on this one. shift boy, shift!
Old 02-25-2004, 09:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Bad Mr Ronin,you are saying opposite things! How can you feel the "afterburner" kick,if you shift at 4.800 rpm?? You know this car gives fun up to more than 6.000 rpm,and real fun is above 4.000 rpm.
When I´m pushing hard,I use to shift at about 6.000 rpm in all gears but 1st.

Come on,squeeze the car to 6.000 rpm! It´s funny!

Ok,i´ll prepare the Tante Ju when you come,but please don´t insult my oil burner...errrrrr.....sorry,...my 951.
Old 02-25-2004, 10:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
vott does ziss do?

if your afterburner takes that long to kick in, then you have more problems than I care to discuss at the moment. mine makes power immediately at 3500 and continues strongly upward from there. the idea is to shift to the next gear to be able to take advantage of the upswing of the power curve instead of the downswing from the previous gear. sure, I know it's fun to hit the rev limiter, but it doesn't make for the fastest lap times

speaking of which, is the turbo at the shop yet?
Old 02-25-2004, 10:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

breaking traction at that rpm in that gear also had to do with how progressive i was with the throttle probably not safe for driving around downtown.
Old 02-25-2004, 10:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

vott does ziss do?

yeeeeupp
Old 02-25-2004, 10:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

well. i have a question then. what is the visual difference between a k26 and a k27? does anyone know if there is a plate or something on the turbo that says what it is? Next time i have my J-boot off i'll look.

if you have a pic of either turbo, post em'.
Old 02-25-2004, 10:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: