Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

944 Cup

The 2004 schedule for the Porsche 944 Cup is now posted on www.944cup.com

Round Date Track Organization
Round 1 April 23-25 Daytona Rennsport Reunion II
Round 2 May 22-23 Summit Shenendoah NASA-VA
Round 3 July 10-11 Summit Main NASA-VA
Round 4 July 31-August 1 VIR North NASA-VA
Round 5 September 18-19 Summit Shenendoah NASA-VA
Round 6 October 23-24
Summit Main NASA-VA
Round 7 November 6-7
Summit Main NASA-VA
Old 02-18-2004, 09:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Hey, first one in Daytona....hope I can make this one!

April 4th and 5th is Grassroots Motorsports 2004 challenge in Gainesville Florida.

BTW- Prof I still have dreams of swiping your garage...Tell me you don't have a lift in there....please...
Old 02-18-2004, 11:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

TCM:

Sorry it took me so long to respond (work, ya know, gets in the way).

Yep - I got the 4 post lift in November and have used it a fair amount (when work lets me go home).

And now for the REAL KILLER >>>>>> the installation of Central HEAT and AIR CONDITIONING was done this week. I won't freeze or get hot as the seasons change.

Now it's back to finishing the insulation, drywall, and ceiling.
Old 02-20-2004, 10:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Feelin' Solexy

I would KILL for a garage like that!
But, in the great tradition of cool garages, I would opt for the black and white checkerboard linoleaum floor. Mind if I ask how much the lift cost you?
Old 02-20-2004, 10:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I've only sealed the floor at this time, but will probably do some kind of floor treatment later (maybe a big Porsche crest painted where the 944 parks.

The lift was around $3000, including shipping. Was easy to set up (at least compared to those freakin' speed and reference sensors!) and runs on 110v. The $3000 price also includes a wheel kit that can be put on to move the lift around, even with a car on it. This one was made by Eagle Equipment (www.eagleequip.com) and is the same one used on "Horsepower TV"

Also, the photo's don't do the garage justice, because I can only get about 1/4 of the garage in the camera at one time. I'm going to try to get some artsy sunset-with-all-four-garage-doors-open-and-illiuminated-interior photos when the weather gets warmer. (Of course, that wll require cleaning it and straightening things up).
Old 02-20-2004, 11:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Custom User Title

You bastard!!!! I love it. Can you put me in your will?
Old 02-20-2004, 01:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Certified Rennwerker

Send a message via MSN to 924Sman
Geez can't 944Cup find more than 2 tracks? All must have the track down pat! Need some variety..Sman
Old 02-21-2004, 09:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Hey profssr, when's the TR6 cup?
Old 02-21-2004, 12:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

1) Triumph is the vintage marque of the historic races at VIR this June (VIR = Virginia International Raceway, a road racing course).

2) The HVAC system is now working perfectly. The wind was howling outside on Saturday and I was working in a T-shirt.

3) I have 4 more outlets to install in the last portion of the wall, then complete the wall insulation, and am planing to install last portion of the drywall on 3/6/04. Then it'll be time to insulate the attice and hang a ceiling.

4) The winning Mega Power Ball ticket ($230,000,000) was sold about 2 miles from my house, so I'll be learning a whole lot about geneology to see if I can qualify as a relative.

5) Re: 944 Cup. Yeah - it's kind of nice to actually have something on the east coast near my home. Those west coast (SoCal) boys usually get all the fun.
Old 02-23-2004, 04:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Proffsr,

So are you racing your six? I hardly ever see TR6's in vintage races, Lot more Spitfires or MGs. Don't know why, maybe it's hard to compete in the over 2-L class against a 911 or Alfa?
Old 02-23-2004, 05:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

No - I don't race, but I do enjoy working on it.

I remember when Group 44 raced with a full British Leyland contingent - MGB, Midget, Spitfire, TR6, XKE w/ 12 cylinder engine, etc. (of course, I also remember seeing the original Cobra and Chapparell race at Laguna Seca in the '60's too - I used to live in Monterey Bay) I usually see one TR6 at the track, but more often its a TR4 or Spitfire. MGBs, too. Going to the vintage races gives you an opportunity to see a lot of unusual european cars. And even though vintage racing is mostly just "going fast", there are also the SCCA races where blood is on the line.

The main trouble with the TR6, is that in US trim, it was only good for 115 to 125 HP (European trim was over 150 hp, due to fuel injection). And the narrow wheel base is a deficit in cornering. But I love the sound and the way it cruises.

My TR6 is a 73 with wire wheels, getting ready for a body-off restoration. I've been fortunate, as it has always been garage kept, so rust has not been any problem. Although, for a car that cost $4200 brand new, I'll spend about $10K to restore it.

After badly crushing my lower left leg in '97, I've gone back to the sports cars and will (some day) sell my Harleys.

The 944 was, for me, the first sports car with power windows and air conditioning. Of course, the wife's Corvette has all the creature comforts as well. The TR6 is just a bare bones roadster.

Also, the prices of TR6's have really started to go up. It's not all that unusual to see a nice one sell for 20 grand.

Last edited by profssr2017; 02-23-2004 at 06:16 AM..
Old 02-23-2004, 06:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

I had a '70 TR6 that I bought used in '77 for $2400. After two years of sorrow and pain I was glad to sell it for $1700. I should have just put a cover over it and sold it in the current market. I doubt any former owner of a daily-driver would pay 20 grand to re-live that experience!
Old 02-23-2004, 09:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

My first '73 WAS a daily driver. However, it was a brand new car at that time. It was getting to the point of needing attention when it was only 3 1/2 years old. One day, it decided to commit suicide (it burned, courtesy of Mr. Lucas, the Prince of Darkness).

I admit, while it is no where near the "sports" car that a 944 is (just to stay in thread), and doesn't age as gracefully, at least it does not have a cam belt and them freakin' speed and reference sensors!!! It's all a matter of what you like and want. Those who are willing to drop 20 grand, probably also buy a lot of other expensive toys, and never get their hands dirty. Most of the average TR6's seem to go for about what the last model year ('76) sold for new - about $6,500.

But I do agree, of all of the TR6's I know of, none of them are being used as comuter vehicles.

jts924s - I see you're thinking about a Beemer - ever consider a 1952 R67/2??
Old 02-23-2004, 09:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Mein Gott!

Garage
Nice to see some other TR-6 afficionados in these here parts. profssr2017, in the process of your frame off resto, be sure to look up John Burket at www.triumphworks.com if you ever find yourself in a tough spot. I'm about 1/2 way done with my '6s full frame off, and its at his shop. You'll never find a nicer, more knowledgable Triumph wrench. Good luck!
1972 Triumph TR6 - 100% trouble free between breakdowns
2003 BMW 325xi
Old 02-23-2004, 09:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Thanks - I have seen this web site before.

I tend to visit www.british-cars.co.uk for the TR6. They're a much quieter bunch then here at Pelican's BBS.
Old 02-23-2004, 09:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Naw - it stops over 3 inches shy at maximum lift, which is the height it's at now. Done checked that. (I had to get up on a ladder and slowly raise the car up the first time just to make sure!)
Old 02-23-2004, 10:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Nice...hate you even more...

j/k

Drove and almost purchased a TR6 when I was 16...Remember it was blue, the whole hood font fenders and all lifted forward, and it scared the crap out of me it was so fast.

On a Cup note, I would really like to see this race in action. Have only the pleasure of seeing pics so far.
Old 02-23-2004, 11:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by profssr2017
jts924s - I see you're thinking about a Beemer - ever consider a 1952 R67/2??
I thought twice about an r65 about a year ago. Real nice shape, 18K miles, for a little over two grand. But I had just bought the 924S so I thought I'd better pass. I think my family would like the 6-series better.

If you have one, what's up with the 'can' on the back of the r67/2's engine. Air filter??
Old 02-24-2004, 05:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Yep - that's the air cleaner cover. The intake tubes for the carburetors is just below that.

Don't have a photo small enough to attach, but here's a link. I don't have the sidecart, but I do have the mounts on the frame for a sidecard.

http://bmw.mc.no/bmw/r67-2.html
Old 02-24-2004, 05:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: