Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
meister member

Garage
Lightbulb I found more cam belt tensioner testers

I came a cross a catalog of belt tensioners and I called the company to discuse tensioner testers. First of all he said the "Krikit" should not be used to do timing belts as it is not precise enough. I have found a couple of others that would work according to the tech rep. First of all they make 2 sonic tension meters. They operate by measuring the natural frequency of a free stationary belt span and instantly calculates the static belt tension based off of span length, belt width and type. He said this device is extremely accurate, much more than any mechanical means. They also have 2 pencil type tension testers that would work for us as well. My concern with those is they are tall (like a pencil) and I wonder if it would fit in the small space. The sonic tester has a "list price" of $1000 but I will contact a supplier to see what the actual cost is. Usually the list price is inflated greatly. I will keep you posted about what I find.
By the way they do sell 2 kinds of the Krikit also. The small one is $9 and the larger one is $13.
Favorite Road = www.tailofthedragon.com 318 turns in 11 miles (11 min 20 sec best run)
Old 02-18-2004, 10:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Bout time some new research on this topic came up. Seems ridiculous that we have to choose between a $500 tool and a $5 one.

Sonic tensioning - that sounds damn cool.
Old 02-18-2004, 10:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
meister member

Garage
Thumbs up

When I get home I will post a pic of the catalog page with the testers. There are seven of them listed all together, 4 of which the tech guy said would work for us.
Favorite Road = www.tailofthedragon.com 318 turns in 11 miles (11 min 20 sec best run)
Old 02-18-2004, 11:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Hopefully they will go the way of the pyrometer.

Those things started out in the $500+ range and now I have seen a few for less than $100
Old 02-18-2004, 11:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
meister member

Garage

Here is some pics of the catalog. I am having a distributer work on some prices. He should get back to me on Thursday.
Old 02-18-2004, 02:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Dont think you could get the pen version in the belt box.
Old 02-18-2004, 03:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

FLA944 and I were going to test a sonic tension meter.

As soon as FLA944 get his hands on one from work...

AFJuvat

Ihr Brunnen der nutzlosen Porsche Information
Old 02-18-2004, 05:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Can't wait to hear how it turns out..

If you can get it in there without removing anything but the covers that would be great.

Even be worth drilling a hole in the cover that you could "shoot" through with the sensor.
Old 02-19-2004, 09:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
meister member

Garage
I got a price on the sonic belt tensioner tester. They quoted $675. That is $180 more than the P9201 from Sunset Porsche. I am trying a different supplier to see what he quotes me. I will give an update when I hear something. The good thing is with it being electronic maybe the price will go down in a couple of years. The model that I am getting quotes on is the Gates 505C, product # 7420-0203 for anyone else who is interested in doing some home work. Good Hunting
Old 02-23-2004, 02:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to FLA944 Send a message via Yahoo to FLA944
Yup, that is the one we use and it is a $1000.00. Gates makes several models with varying options and reading outputs. The model we use is $1200.00 and has all the bells and whistles. We have to use that one as Gates warranties are belts for life and without it goodbye warranty. You would need to determine what the sonic tension you are looking for so you would have to test and record against; yup, you guessed it a car that was just done with the 9201. (must maintain a cal. control)

I thought about it and is not efficient for us to use one unless we do alot of belts and you would need to do alot of em for $1000. Heck, the 9201 is $500 and you would need the same justification. Our machines cost start @ $100,000.00 so a grand is minimal. They are very easy to operate. Measure the span from pulley center to center enter the width and thickness then hold the mike on belt and flick with finger repeat minimum of 3 times, we do about 10 to determine the average.

The Kriket/Optibelt seems consistent in readings and a very good inexpensive tool. Juvy and I did compare the optibelt against the 9201 do determine the graduation for the optibelt and it was consistent time after time. Note: the balance belt was very tough due to so much slack but was consistent as well.

I'm in SoCal all week and do not have it to tell you what the graduations came out to be, Juvy might?

Rick
has never left garage (yet)

Last edited by FLA944; 02-23-2004 at 05:01 PM..
Old 02-23-2004, 04:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: