Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 4.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Question I have a few general 944 questions (newb...)

i am a 19 year old college student... that being said, i have a few questions becasue i am very interested in starting a 944 project.

Does this sound resonable to acomplish? me and my dad are decent mechanics but we are limited to funds. I want a weekend racer but still streetable.

my plan is as follows...

-buy a 944 for around $1000 (good body is all im lookin for)

-tear out the interior and put in a roll bar, fuel cell, and things like that

-add the best handling suspension for a budget (not sure what yet)

-get new wheels and tires (best for budget), maybe not even new wheels

-upgrade breaks (once again im on a budget)

-then ad a LT1 V8...

How much you think all this would cost? im new to the porsche world but i definitly love the loks of the 944 and have heard lots of good things about them. thanks

Also how much do you think i could get total for selling parts? asuming the engine was probably shot, interior would be in rough shape, and everything kinda worn?

Last edited by needcash; 02-18-2004 at 03:23 PM..
Old 02-18-2004, 03:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

doh if you hadne't have said good body, i'de sell you mine. front end wrecked it a while ago. Not horrible but enough to buy a new car and let this one be for a while. That being said, the LT1 conversion alone will cost you alot. $10k alot. Thats if its done right. You will need a new tranny to go along with that engine. This brand of porsche isnt a stright track car. check out renagadehybrids.com for the LT1 conversion info. They sell a kit to make it all fit right.
Old 02-18-2004, 03:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

someone on this bored (i think) got a kit for $1200

with a engine (2k to 4k depending on lots of things)

what else? not including labor?
Old 02-18-2004, 03:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

For racing I would buy a >$2000 944 that needs to be rebuilt

Strip out

Very slightly modify the suspension - already good

Brakes maybe, maybe no

Keep the engine...stays in the stock or modified stock category

Sell cosmetic parts like mad....give the others to your friends here ;-)

Note - I say keep the engine also because you will retain the weight distribution that makes this car a good racer/autocrosser
Old 02-18-2004, 03:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

well i was looking for

A. more streetable power (maybe a dragstrip run or 2)

B. I am a old school car guy, i love the V8 rumble

C. parts are cheaper and its easyer to rebuild, anc i dont want to have to do that alot...

what catigory would it be in with a V8?
Old 02-18-2004, 03:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Monster catagory..

Car not built for drag...Plan on alot of mod$
Old 02-18-2004, 03:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

it would mainly be a road/race car... maybe a drag pull or 2 out of curiosity
Old 02-18-2004, 03:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to lousailor Send a message via Yahoo to lousailor
Ha! Draggin a Porsche is for Kids (no pun intended). This car was made for racing. Here's a link that will get you fender to fender in about $8K total (including the car): http://www.944-spec.com/944/index.htm

Besides you'd be wasting a couple grand putting a top suspension in it if you're just going to go straight.

'85 (Early) 944 - Beater
'87 924S - Crunch/Rebuild
'76 924 - Long Gone
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."
- Mario Andretti
Old 02-18-2004, 03:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

all those races are no where near minnesota. does minnesota even have 944 races? is there other things i could join? (real newb here)
Old 02-18-2004, 04:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

arent parts for porsche engine really expensive? if im gonna reapair it, it cant cost too much. thats a reason for going with a v8
Old 02-18-2004, 04:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Sorry, I just used the local web site I knew about. NASA (not the space folks) is a national racing governing body, that sponsors races all over. I used them because they sponsor a 944-Spec Class. There's also a 944 Cup class, but it'll probably cost quite a bit more to compete at that level. I've also seen 944s compete in SCCA events, as well as the local club races of the Porsche Club of America (PCA), and Porsche Owners Club (POC). Here's the NASA site: http://www.nasaproracing.com/

'85 (Early) 944 - Beater
'76 924 - Long Gone
- Mario Andretti
Old 02-18-2004, 04:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

so could i compete with a v8?
Old 02-18-2004, 06:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Not in the spec, cup or porsche club races, but there might be a modified class in SCCA

'85 (Early) 944 - Beater
'76 924 - Long Gone
- Mario Andretti
Old 02-18-2004, 06:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

k thakns

anyone else? please?
Old 02-18-2004, 06:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
aka 'vageen'

Garage
Buy a 928 - you can get beaters on Ebay (some with good bodies) for under $1000, they have V-8's in them for that all important rumble - If the german V-* doesn't rumble enough, disconnect a spart plug or 2. That's your cheapest way to go.

If you are still stuck on wrecking a Porsche by cobbling a GM engine into one, look on the Classifieds section of this website, there is already a 944 that has been stripped and is partly race prepped for ya - have at her. After is sits on your lawn for a few years, you can probably part it out on this site and get your money back...
Yoosta have: 90 C4 Targa, 87 944, 73 911 ChumpCar endurance racer - featured in May-June & July-Aug 2016 Classic Porsche
Old 02-18-2004, 08:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to FLA944 Send a message via Yahoo to FLA944
Well, let me see. wants to make a track/drag car and has little or no money.

Why are you looking at a P-Car. Go get an old vette, camaro or what have you and drop it and chop it. The old vette's do actually real well on the track (mid 70's to early 80's) for little output of $. Plus, seeing you are 19 you will pound the wall anyway.

UncleBilly is right on track. a 928 would do better but!!! be warned the 928 is a PIA to work on and some real $$$$

Rick
has never left garage (yet)
Old 02-19-2004, 06:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Certified Rennwerker

Send a message via MSN to 924Sman
MidAmerica in Omaha area has a 1/8 miles strip, 2.3 RRC, motox track and a kart track.

If you think that you are going to drag the 944 w/V8 you will get smoked! Too many other V8 cars designed for drag racing to deal with and they will eat you alive! Porsche designed their cars by suspension and designed the engine to fit the suspension. Not the other way around therefore the purpose of the 944 is in Road Racing. To go in a str8 line the suspension on the 944 is of little benefit vs. a Chevy set up. So all you are really using that is Porsche is the body and the name. Body wise there are more cars of rice or domestic design far more suitable for drag.

If you gut the car as stated you are putting the car in a situation that really limits it's use in sanctioned racing. For it to be a street stock car in PCA the entire interior must remain. So by removing it and run PCA the car is now a GT4 car and you will get absolutely smoked against 290 300 HP 911's!! And so on per sanctioning body. Read all sanction rules before lifting a finger. My advise go with a Chevy or what have you and leave the Porsche alone! Really want the Porsche then use it as one and go PCA I stock or 944 Cup/ SCCA, GTS Challenger Series. Peace to you from the State below you! Sman
Old 02-19-2004, 06:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

944 for sale

i have 944 for sale runs great some times it has to something simple 1500.00 will buy it mwm556@aol.com
Old 02-19-2004, 06:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Certified Rennwerker

Send a message via MSN to 924Sman
PS......There is nothing cheap in racing regardless of car make! You get what you pay for and we all pay! Sman
Old 02-19-2004, 06:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

need cash
Old 02-19-2004, 06:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: