Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

flush mount windshield

I'm getting ready to paint my 80 924. One of the thing I want to do when I get it painted is to flush mount the windshield. Has anyone actually done this? I've tried searching and found a few posts that say it can be done but none that said it had been done.

Problems I can see.

Interior trim around windshield may not look right.

Wipers may not sit on the glass correctly.

Outside moulding may not fit right.

If it hasn't been done does anyone know of an late 44 in the las vegas area that I can take a close look at to see how everything fits? Thanks.
Old 02-18-2004, 03:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
I took an 86 apart. Broke the windshield but this is what I found out.

You will need either the wiper arms off of a later model 944 and/or some sort of extention on the shafts. Don't think the late model drive can be fitted to the 924's or the early 944's but just might try it.

There are three pieces to the flush window mounting. A plastic spacer around the side-top-side and a spacer across the bottom. A U shaped flush rubber trim with a T cross section. The tail of the T is pushed in between the windshield and the body when gluing the glass in.

Get the three trim pieces out of a late model 944. I have these sitting in the garage just waiting for the next time I need a windsheild.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 02-18-2004, 04:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Some form of spacer on the shaft might cause the base of the wiper arm to come in contact with the hood. There isn't too much clearance there, I'd think the newer arms would likely be a better choice.

My question though, why won't the factory wipers work? The arms are spring loaded, plus the wiper itself is on a pivot and is spring loaded itself. The windshield would just change the pitch of the arm, or am I missing something?
02 Altima SE 3.5 - grocery go-getter
00 Yellow Ducati Monster 900i.e. 88 Chrysler Conquest TSi
Old 02-18-2004, 05:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
The arms have a different profile at the pivot/drive mounting to clear the raised windsield.

I may have one of each. If I can find them I'll post an image of them side by side.

I also have the later drive bracket. I'll get a measurement if someone can compare this to the early drive bracket.
Old 02-19-2004, 12:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the info. Do you happen to know the part number for the spacer at the bottom? I can only find the T moulding and the spacer that goes around the top and sides. Thanks.
Old 02-27-2004, 08:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Can you post pics of the moldings that you have?
Old 03-02-2004, 03:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
I don't have the car. Went to the junk yard many moons ago.

The windshield was cracked when I got it. I just pulled one corner up to see what the spacers looked like.
Old 03-03-2004, 07:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: