Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Post 944 flex plate

OK guys, I found a diamond in the rough. The car is imaculate except for a cracked flex plate. How hard is it to fix and how much will it cost? I need help quick so I can deside to buy it or not.

------------------
Joshua Harrison
Porsche owner at heart

Old 10-16-2001, 09:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Josh-
Could it should it would it be an Auto. Please tell me your not looking at an auto.

Matt
Old 10-16-2001, 10:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Perfect and for 2K, YES
Old 10-16-2001, 10:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

josh..

have you gone for a ride in an automatic NA 944. Think of words that rhym with compromise.

GO FOR A STICK. With the NA's limited powerband, you will have a much better experience.
Old 10-16-2001, 11:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MBuck951
doing a flex-plate job is roughly the same as doing a clutch on manual car

I have an extra flex-plate i'd sell at about a quarter the dealers price =) . . if you're interested

------------------
Mike Buck
My Gallery
'88 944 turbo
'89 944 NA
Old 10-16-2001, 12:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Have you driven the car to find out what really is wrong with it? Or is the plate cracked so badly that it will not run?

Erick
Old 10-16-2001, 12:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

First off, yes I have driven an NA w/automatic trany. Infact, I've even autocrossed one, a super stock one to be exact, so I do know what the power is. (about the same as a 912) Also, the problem is the cam timing and you can fix that, and add a chip. (correct me if I'm wrong, I'm kinda new to these watercooled cars) I haven't driven the car yet, but the owner says there is a small vibration at idle, nothing while being driven. Its a daily drive as I speak. So it obviously a small crack. And if I do get the car, I probably make you a deal Mike.

Keep on pouring in the comments and suggestions and ANYTHING I should know about 944s)

------------------
Joshua Harrison
Porsche owner at heart
Old 10-16-2001, 12:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Get it!

Remeer most people who buy 944 autos are not looking for a fast ride. Most, like myelf seek only a nice looking daily driver. Plus I would say 90% of the autos I looked at years back were in imaculant condition compared with there 5spd counterparts. Plus they all seemed to have EVERY option avaiable.
Old 10-16-2001, 03:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

DO NOT buy that car unless you can either drive it or get it for less than $1,000. You'd be suprised at the problems that can crop up on a drive.

Erick
Old 10-16-2001, 03:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Ven:
Get it!

Remeer most people who buy 944 autos are not looking for a fast ride. Most, like myelf seek only a nice looking daily driver. Plus I would say 90% of the autos I looked at years back were in imaculant condition compared with there 5spd counterparts. Plus they all seemed to have EVERY option avaiable.
I know of a automatic car in San Diego that has been beat to hell and back. You could probably pick that on up for less than $1,000.

Seriously, I agree, a large percentage of the auto cars are well optioned and in very good condition. However, quit a few have been run pretty hard by owners in the futile hope of extracting a bit more performance. A cracked flex-plate is a result of this kind of behaviour and with it, I suspect other items on this particular car will also be found to have been recently replaced or on the edge of failure.

I'd keep looking.

Old 10-16-2001, 03:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

The car is 100 percent drivable right now, and the only time the car vibrates is at idle. The car has been maintained, and is a commuter car. She said everything was perfect on the car except for the flex plate. I working out ligistics as I'm about 3.5 hours away from the car, but hopefully I'll have someone check it out for me, and let me know what they think (knowledgable Porsche person, of course). Then if all goes well, I have a 944 in a week or two.

I am still listening to comments and suggestions.

------------------
Joshua Harrison
Porsche owner at heart
Old 10-16-2001, 04:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MBuck951
Josh,
How did the owner know its only a "crack" in the plate?
No easy way to inspect it, that i know of. Once that plate goes however, you won't be able to drive it.

Keep us updated

------------------
Mike Buck
My Gallery
'88 944 turbo
'89 944 NA
Old 10-16-2001, 05:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

a cracked flexplate is not a sign of abuse. It is rubber and will wear out no matter how you drive it. in fact, letting them sit extensively and then putting them back into service is what will kill them everytime. the car will still be driveable even after the ruber is all gone. there are two metal tabs that it will run on for quite some time before they break, the same holds true for the rubber hub clutches. as far as buying an auto, different strokes for different folks. i dont think that anyone buys a 944 for a fast car, the choice is slow and slower as far as flat out "speed" is considered. I have owned a 944 auto for close to a decade and find it very enjoyable for its intended purpose. good luck!!

Carter
85 944
86 951
87 944
88 951
Old 10-16-2001, 05:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Light,Nimble,Uncivilized

Garage
Josh,

Can you have the current owner take it to a shop of your choice to have a PPI done. If you can and do just make sure the results are communicated to you, not the owner.

Worth every penny on my car, and I bought it from my father-in-law, for exactly $100.00 over the price for the shop to address a few of the PPI items. By the way, those were:

Motor Mounts
Water Pump
Timing Belt
Balance Shaft Belts and rollers
Cam box front and rear seals
etc..etc...etc...all told $2300.

My point is that you can't tell the condition of a car just from a quick drive and a look under the hood. Things can get expensive very quickly on the wrong car.

Get the PPI. My $0.02.

------------------
Marc
'86 944 NA
Old 10-16-2001, 05:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Ok guys, some of you are saying that the flex plate goes comletely and that it vibrates all the time. Could it instead be a motor mount, since it vibrates at only idle??? Maybe her mechanic is trying to gouge her, and get her to replace unnecessary parts? She said it doesn't vibrate, make noise, or anything when the car is moving. What do you guys think???

Also we are going to check all of the items drago said plus some. Fortunately, I know several Porsche 944 owners who know their stuff.

------------------
Joshua Harrison
Porsche owner at heart
Old 10-16-2001, 07:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to mideastmafia
my cars tranny (auto) is tight as hell and the car still vibrates horribly at idle... cleaning the injectors HELPED but i think its the auxilary air valve or what not.. i sloved it by simply turning up the idle

SHAUN
Old 10-16-2001, 07:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
There's a very good chance that you are dealing with either one or both motor mounts. (As most people know here) They need replacing in all 944's at some time. From what I understand, the first and most common motor mount to go is the right side one. The main symptom is shaking at idle.

-MAS
Old 10-16-2001, 07:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Get it. Then, replace the motor mounts. I would bet that's the problem. if it isn't, you fixed something that is going to go out anyway. I wouldn't get it PPI'ed just in case it is motor mounts, then she might not want to sell it.
Old 10-16-2001, 08:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

I've had my dampner plate and motor mounts replaced and I still have a mild vibration at idle. Like mideast, I'm thinking idle control valve.

BTW: I posted this earlier on Rennlist, but maybe you guys don't go there...

What's the difference between the Auto Trans Flex Disc and the Auto Trans Dampner Plate. Pelican shows two part numbers and prices, but I have a feeling they are one and the same. If they are different, which is which, what do they look like, and are they easily inspectable. Thanks.
Old 10-17-2001, 07:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

if the rubber flexplate is broken it will make a God awful racket as the metal tabs are hitting at idle. This noise will stop as soon as a slight amount of throttle is applied.

Old 10-17-2001, 08:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: