Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Just thinking out loud

Transmission plugs

I've tried all I know of to get the fill plug out. Penetrating oil has soaked it for a day, direct heat, blasting it with an impact gun. No go!! I'm ready to drill it out. If anyone has any other ideas, please let me know.
Old 02-21-2004, 09:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to bryanthompson Send a message via AIM to bryanthompson Send a message via Yahoo to bryanthompson
I just changed my transmission oil this morning, and it was a ***** and a half. The top one wasn't too bad, but the bottom was already halfway stripped from previous trip to quickie-oil-change place, so I only made it worse. Then I had to find a piece of hose to fit over the end of the Mobil 1 narrow spout thing. Once done, though, i torqued the plugs to 17ft lbs, and it seems swell. Anyway... i'm going to need some new plugs for the next time I do it.
Old 02-21-2004, 09:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Take the top plug out first. If you remove the bottom plug and the top is stuck it's real hard to get all of the lub back into the trans. Something about a toothpaste tube comes to mind.

I have the 17 mm bit with a 3/8" drive. Had to put a lot of torque on some to get them out. Never stripped the 17 mm part though. If you are using a bent allen wrench then make sure it's fully seated with a few taps from a hammer. Then put a short piece of pipe on the end. I've used a handle from a small floor jack.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 02-21-2004, 09:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Just thinking out loud

Top plug, not even messing with the bottom yet. I'm using a 17mm hex socket, 2 foot extension, 3/8 inch drive, 3/8 to 1/2 adapter, 1/2 impact shooting 140 lbs. Heated, soaked. She aint coming boys!
Old 02-21-2004, 09:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Haven't stripped it yet?

Just takes plenty of pull.

Get rid of the extension as this is twisting.

Use a breaker bar as the impact has too much wrap-up.
Old 02-21-2004, 09:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Just thinking out loud

She popped, she came out!!
Old 02-21-2004, 10:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by mattdavis11
She popped, she came out!!
Zowee!

Use the breaker bar on the bottom plug. No extension.
Old 02-21-2004, 10:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Just thinking out loud

bottom need impact to, but she was way easier. I kinda like the ones that are harder to get. More satisfying when you do. Same goes for the plugs. 17 ft lbs I know!
Old 02-21-2004, 10:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Tighten till they strip then back off half a turn.
Old 02-21-2004, 10:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Zero10
Hey SoCal, so YOU were the PO of my car, that explains my transmission plugs =P

Somebody jammed a really tall 17mm nut into my drain plug, then used a 17mm wrench to remove it, great idea as long as they remember to remove the nut!
It had rusted right into the drain plug, finally with a pair of vise grips and 3 pairs of hands we got enough grip to get the plug out. I couldn't do anything to get the nut out of the plug, so I went to a VW wrecker's and pulled a plug from a golf's transmission.
There's a fun fact if your plug strips, most VW manual transmissions use the same fill/drain plug as ours does.

Buy my parts!
Old 02-21-2004, 05:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: