Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Sunroof & Rear Hatch Seals

Recently I purchased a sunroof seal (Pelican Parts) and a rear hatch seal (Vertex) for my 1978 924. During my attempt to install them I ended up with more seal than circumference of both the sunroof and the opening for the rear hatch. I made sure that both seals were well seated and I don't believe I did anything to "stretch" either of them during installation. Shall I get the scissors or have I used the wrong technique for installation? Suggestions will be sincerely appreciated.

1978 Porsche 924
Old 02-21-2004, 04:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Zero10
I know that when the PO installed my seals, he had to trim them, and now they have shrunk and have a big gap. If you trim them, make it a tight fit, so they don't leak as soon.

I think they give you an extra inch or two of seal in the kits though.

Buy my parts!
Old 02-21-2004, 05:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
I would try to work the hatch seal around so that you compress it to fit. As was noted; it shrinks. If you do cut it save the extra piece as you may have to ShoeGoo it back in.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 02-22-2004, 06:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I agree with you Hugh... but it pissed me off so I cut it anyway as Zero suggested. What looked to be a significant amount of "extra" turned out to be 1/2" so I might have been able to somehow work that extra 1/2" somewhere around the perimeter of the hatch opening. Maybe next time, huh?

By the way, not sure if this has been covered in the forum somewhere previously, but... is it just me or does anyone else think that big gap between the rear hatch frame and the body of the car seem like a styling error? I think I've seen other cars where a spoiler somehow fills the gap and makes it look better but on mine, it just seems like somethings missing...

1978 Porsche 924
Old 02-22-2004, 10:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
How big of a gap?
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 02-22-2004, 03:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

FR, you know, after that line and that picture, I'm feeling alot better about ruining that seal...

1978 Porsche 924
Old 02-22-2004, 04:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

ok, here's a picture of the gap. This is the first picture I've posted so if it turns out to be too small I've will post a a larger version.

1978 Porsche 924
Old 02-23-2004, 09:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: