Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Deplorable Member

Garage
Center console

Quick question - I need to get the center console bezel off to change a burned-out light (the seatbelt warning light) and probably again in a month or so to install a new stereo system - there are two screws at the top just above the three instruments there (oil pressure / volt / clock) and two others at the outside of the console (where the carpeting is) that seem to stick in horizontally. For some reason, I can't pull the bezel out to get to the wiring behind in order to change the light. I don't want to force it & break it. Did I miss other screws somewhere or do I need to remove the radio / heater control and then get to it or can I just pull the bezel for those 3 gauges / lighter / fog light switch / idiot lights off in a way I haven't tried?

Black Cars Matter
Old 02-21-2004, 04:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
My S2 might be different than your older model 44, but on mine there are two screws under the ashtray (pull straight up with ashtray open and it just pops out). There are also a couple of screws in the bottom of the armrest that actually hold the back of my console down.
LSD
2002 Yamaha FZ1
Old 02-21-2004, 05:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Deplorable Member

Garage
K thanks guys!

I was able to remove the lower slide lever from the heater face by just pulling it straight out, the top two (that control face / defrost & floor dampeners) I don't think pull out easily - if I just pull hard will they disengage like the lower one or will I end up breaking 'em? Once those are off I can get behind the heater face though.

Yah, I found the 2 under the ashtray & the console thingy but I dunno if I'll have to remove them for this. . . maybe for the radio

Is there a way to separate the vertical pieces of carpet from the sides of the console? Looks like there are some pointy hook things holding it on and if I pull it away I'll never get it on again.

Black Cars Matter
Old 02-21-2004, 06:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to lousailor Send a message via Yahoo to lousailor
Carpet is usually held on with a combo of adhesive and staples. You shouldn't have to pull the bolts under the ashtray to do what you want, only if you break something and have to replace the entire console (been there). Pulling out all the levers and knobs will allow you to remove the upper console plastic, it actually clips in, but if you try to force it the tabs may break escpecially if the plastic has become brittle.

'85 (Early) 944 - Beater
'87 924S - Crunch/Rebuild
'76 924 - Long Gone
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."
- Mario Andretti
Old 02-21-2004, 06:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
You don't need to pull the console go get to the seat belt warning light. You can pull the bezel off of the heater controls. Yes the three slider knobs pull off.

What are you doing right now Sunday morning. I can run over to Longa Beach and show you.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 02-22-2004, 07:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Deplorable Member

Garage
Thanks, I got it out - was just like described. I think the whole warning light unit might be bad, or else someone disconnected the seatbelt circuit to avoid being annoyed by the buzzer when the door was open (the buzzer doesn't work either). What's weird is when I took the unit out and popped the red lens part out to look at the bulbs directly, they all appeared good (filaments looked unbroken for all 3 bulbs, including the seat belt one).

Anyone know where that would be (connection)? I looked by the driver's side belt receptacle on the floor for evidence of loose / disconnected wiring but nothing. All fuses & relays appear good. I don't mind not being annoyed by the buzzer, but would like to know that everything on the car works as it should.

Black Cars Matter
Old 02-22-2004, 12:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: