Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Post 924 with 24k gold plated wheels!

I generally post over on the 911 Board (having a 911 and all), but thought you guys might appreciate this.

I took this photo about 6 months ago at a local show and shine. At the time, I thought it was one of the funniest things I have ever seen. I prefer 911s, and made a couple of disparaging remarks about the 924 you see here.

I am happy to retract those remarks completely. I saw this car again over the weekend at the New Zealand Fours and Rotaries show - a show dedicated to... fours cylinder and rotary powered cars. The 924 was the only Porsche, plus there was a VW type something or other with a nice set of polished Fuchs.

The 924 has had a HUGE amount of time and money spent by the (female) owner. She has had the wheels 24k gold plated along with a few other minor parts of the car. She has retrimmed the interior in Connolly leather, and, all in all, she has done an amazing job making the car what it is.

Personally, I wouldn't do it in gold, and I would probably do it to another car, but you have to admire the dedication, time and money.

On a side note, some of the cars were really really amusing at the show. Most were Japanese. For example, there was a Lexus V8 powered mini-truck. Even better was an e30 BMW midway though conversion to 300-400hp 13B turbo rotary power - the quality of fabrication was excellent. Most of the cars were straight out of the "Fast and the Furious" vein.

I was driven there in a friend of a friend's 1972 Datsun 510 with a Nissan FJ20 (turbocharged 2 litre) pushing out close to 300hp (on street gas - 350hp or so on race gas) . In a 2300lb car the performance was downright scary. It has done a 12.8 quarter on street tyres.

Then I worked the rest of the three day weekend . Oh well, earn money --> pay for Porsche bits.

Cam

[This message has been edited by CamB (edited 10-22-2001).]

Old 10-22-2001, 03:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Thumbs up

hey there CamB, how's it going?

yeah, i've seen pics of that 924 before. shiny gold is a bit excessive on most cars, but on THAT car it looks awesome! a friend of mine once saw a Lamborghini Diablo that was painted like gold, and it had 24k gold wheels. he said that it looked jaw-droppingly awesome. it was so outlandish that it was simply awesome!

that 924 looks like it's worth a lot of cash. it's cool to see a person go the entire distance on any car rather than hold back.

obin
Old 10-22-2001, 03:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
What impressed me was finding:

a) the wheels were gold plated (and specially imported Oz wheels from Italy)
b) the interior/other preparation of the car backed it up

When I first saw it, I assumed it was just a 924 with pimpy gold wheels. But actually, it is a full-on labour of love. Not my cup of tea, but a dedicated effort none-the-less.
Old 10-22-2001, 03:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Thumbs up

I agree...You have to appreciate the effort she put into it...A true Porsche enthusiast!
Old 10-22-2001, 06:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Hey CamB, I live in Auckland too at the air force base in Whenuapai. Ive seen this 924 at a couple of shows and I agree it is an awesum example. She had alot of help from Europacific Ltd in Porongia too ( The guy who runs it has one of the few 924 Carerra GTS's (?)in the country) . Do u know of any other good places in NZ for parts etc? I know Powerhaus in WGN is about 20% cheaper than Europacific. I go to Autostrauss in Kelston for my major mechanical work.
Cheers

Jae
'78 924

P.s. Howd u fare in that holiday traffic coming back from Meremere? I was stuck coming back from Taupo thru Matamata for 2.5 hrs.
Old 10-22-2001, 08:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Hi

Parts are a problem. I usually ring around Europacific, Parts Plus (Powerhaus), Jon Warring and Continental Cars or Giltraps.

Then I pay too much whoever gets the business!!

I am trying to do my own maintenance, but take it to Fast Forward if I have to - they are close to where I work in the city. I can never shake the feeling that they are learning as they go though

I would go to Leonard at Autostrasse, but Kelston is too far away to be worth the effort unless I am leaving the car for something major (I would have to get from there to the city to go to work).

I had no trouble with the holiday traffic - I worked all Sun and all Mon , so didn't get to Meremere to watch the drags. My mate who did said it took around 2.5 hours to get there (it is about 30 miles of freeway and 15 miles of single lane highway, for those not in NZ).

So I worked all weekend and didn't adjust my valves . A mandatory trip to Fast Froward is approaching unless I get some free time.

You must have fun driving around Whenuapai!

Cam

[This message has been edited by CamB (edited 10-22-2001).]
Old 10-22-2001, 09:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Ahhhhh, I re-read ur post. I thought u saw the gold wheeled 924 at Meremere. I saw it at the same time as u- at ellerslie, and it pi$$ed down with rain. There was a nice collection of Ferrari's there.

Driving around Whenuapai is alright. We used to do gymkhanas on one of the runways but one of the guys brought along sum boyracers with ricer cars and they, against instructions, dragged each other along one of the taxiways and cut off a cessna taxiing in for refueling. The pilot was irate, the base commander was worse. Cars from the Base motorsport club havent raced on base since and that was over 2 yrs ago
Old 10-22-2001, 11:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
newb.

Hey Cam, where can you find that under-bumper chin spoiler she is running - It really rounds out the car, and I've been trying to locate one for my 931...

Any of you guys know??

Thx.

------------------
keith
'86 951 redNeckarsulm

Old 10-23-2001, 04:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: