Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Post Power steering rack swap

So, two weeks ago my power steering rack (in an 84 944) started leaking from both ends. I got a 924S rack for $125 (it even had tie rod ends included), and decided to tackle the swap today.

Old rack came out without too much problem, except that I forgot that I don't have a gear puller--had to walk to the hardware store to buy another one. The tie rod ends are a bear to get out without one.

I mostly went off the procedure at porsche944-garage, which was very complete and helpful.

Only two problems on the reassembly: one, I have one more leftover bronze crush washer than I should. I'm not sure if I just bought one extra, or if one of the banjo bolts went in without the washer. If one is missing, do I need to pull the whole thing back apart to put it in? Or will it be ok with one washer missing. (I'm almost positive, if one's missing, that it's on the return line, not the high pressure one).

Problem two: I couldn't, no matter what I hit it with, get the steering wheel u-joint onto the steering gear. It's on right now, but only about .5". The whole flat of the steering gear is exposed, and there's not really room to do much down there. Any suggestions?

It was getting dark, so I put it back together anyway, pressurized and bled the system, put the wheels back on, put it on the ground, and turned the wheels. Steering worked fine and nothing leaked that I could see. Anything I should keep an eye out for in the next couple days?

Old 10-27-2001, 05:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Petie3rd

Send a message via Yahoo to Mrmerlin
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Devildog2067:
Hi Devil dog, hey go look at your work if a crush washer is missing it is best if it is installed........now for for your other more serious problem, the U joint coupler must be all the way on otherwise you risk the possibility of it coming off or the coupler jamming while your turning it and you CRASHING your ride..... to do this remove the bolt that holds the coupler to the rack, get a screwdriver with a wide blade and tap it into the coupler you might have to loosen the rack bolts to get more play between the rack and coupler turn the rack till the coupler slides on if it is tough, get a wire brush and clean out the rack splines also look for the possibility that there might be a burr on one..... as a side note (I assume that the rack you put in is the same dimentionally as the one that came out)
If the coupler wont slide on there is a reason it must go on to the groove so the clamping bolt will fit thru the coulper.....when this is done, you may have to reposition the steering wheel, to do this remove the horn button and loosen but do not remove the wheel bolt and pull evenly side to side on the steering wheel the wheel will snap off its mounting then remove the bolt and position as necessary..............Stan

Old 10-28-2001, 01:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: