Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Post shifter vibration

My shifter vibrates at about 3k rpms, but disappeares after that. It only seems to do it while its in gear. Like if I have it in neutral and rev it up it's not there. Also it does this in every gear so it's not a particular speed that does it just a particular rpm. Any ideas?

Old 10-27-2001, 10:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
When did you change the clutch last, sounds like a throwout bearing on it's way out. Of course I seem to remember another member that had this symptom and it turned out to be his torque tube. Better check the archives.
Old 10-27-2001, 11:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to diannone
some custom shifter knobs will vibrate noisely? if not installed correctly. does yours fit that catagory? my new momo raptor knob did till i installed it corectly on the speedforce short shifter.
Old 10-27-2001, 11:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Hopefully it is not your clutch or torque tube (though that is a possibility) One other thing to look at is the connection between your shift rod and the linkage itself - it wears out. Also, when you car is in neutral, is the stick centered in the grarbox? If it doesn't center itself, your linkage needs to be adjusted.

Fingers crossed for you that it is something cheap.

AFJuvat

[This message has been edited by AFJuvat (edited 10-27-2001).]
Old 10-27-2001, 09:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to fty
IT is your clutch...rubber bushing went gaureenteed..new clutch kit...389 at www.**********.com

------------------
"Faster,Than,You"
"Wish I had a 951....."
"Ive tried so hard and got so far but in the end it doesnt even matter"
[URL=http://www.members.aol.com:/fty9999/944land/944land.htm]
Old 10-27-2001, 11:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Petie3rd

Send a message via Yahoo to Mrmerlin
[QUOTE]Originally posted by eligunn:
Hi Eligunn, if you feel like doing some searching remove the shifter boot and see if the shifter linkage is tight or loose either way take it apart and lube it with some grease,
If you know you have a good clutch, look for lil pieces of rubber coming out of the bottom of the bell housing (Blown Disc)
I would check in this order
The motor mounts
Trans mount and shifter index bolt on the trans axle shift linkage (It is safety wired, and under the rubber boot)
C V Joints
Balance belt timing
Bell housing bolts to engine
Trans axle to torque tube bolts
Driveshaft to input on the transaxle coupler
Good luck .........Stan
Old 10-28-2001, 12:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Had vibration & a roar developing in 82 924t at 3000 rpm, every gear & nuetral. It was the torque tube.

drew1
Old 10-28-2001, 07:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Anger944
It's the Clutch, replace the entire clutch system. Resurface flywheel, new bearings, etc.
Old 10-28-2001, 08:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

there's lots of good responses here - are you asking how to resolve the vibration or the outcome of the vibration, like rattling noises coming from the shifter? In replacing the factory shift knob with a Momo, I did find small gaps in the linkage can really cause an annoying rattle at low RPMs. Some very thin spacers took care of it but it was tricky trying to locate the rattle as it transmitting throughout the shift mechanism.
Old 10-29-2001, 12:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Have to agree it really sounds like the clutch. I had the same problem after I let my "friend" drive my car home from a bar after I hooked up with a chick. The first and last time I ever let someone take her with out me! Dealer installed, $1200!
Old 10-29-2001, 02:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

thanks guys. I'm sure its the clutch. I found some rubber.

Old 10-30-2001, 03:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: