Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Send a message via AIM to fast924S
This guy did alot of work,, HE IS CRAZY

Check out this guys 924

http://www.alexroy.net/924home.html
Old 04-12-2004, 09:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Looks like a case of someone with too much time AND money on his hands.
Old 04-12-2004, 09:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to robthe54
WOW. i've got a ton of respect for this guy... thats a labor of love right there...

only thing that bothered me was his side skirts... here's a picture of mine... i didn't get them from Gemballa, and now i know why the fitment sucked...

the fitment was SO bad that i HAD to smooth them in..

btw, i got them from erebuni.
Old 04-12-2004, 10:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
looks good now
Old 04-12-2004, 10:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

thanks, that was awhile ago... the paint work got completed in sept. but i don't like the rockers honestly... i'm thinking about reapinting the car again this summer in smoke grey with some Box rockers...
Old 04-12-2004, 10:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Is it a 24 or a 44, if its a 924 we need to talk, Im intrested in some body kits
Old 04-12-2004, 10:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

it's a 44, but i'll still do my best to help/ answer whatever questions you have
Old 04-12-2004, 10:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
entertaining the idea

Garage
Re: This guy did alot of work,, HE IS CRAZY

Quote:
Originally posted by fast924S
Check out this guys 924

http://www.alexroy.net/924home.html
Wow, that was a lot of work. Too bad he is converting it to electric....

a well set-up 1983 Guards Red 944
Old 04-12-2004, 01:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
I really like what he is doing to the 931 he bought. I wonder what wheels he is going to stick under those huge-azz fenders? I wonder if he is going to convert it to a 5-lug and get some big fuchs..........

My P-caronline Profile

"A good time to keep your mouth shut is when you're in deep water. "--
Sidney Goff
Old 04-13-2004, 07:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Zero10
I would like to know where he got the gemballa bumpers from. I thought they were out of production!

Buy my parts!
Old 04-13-2004, 08:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

I actually like the diamond plate metal floor covering he did .. i wonder how hard that would be to do

80 v12 Jag XJS ... gonna be a part car shortly if it doesn't straighten out

93 Suzuki Katana .. have to have something reliable
Old 04-13-2004, 08:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by robthe54

the fitment was SO bad that i HAD to smooth them in..

btw, i got them from erebuni.
Honestly, IMO, they probably look a helluva lot better smoothed than they would of just normally applied.
02 Altima SE 3.5 - grocery go-getter
00 Yellow Ducati Monster 900i.e. 88 Chrysler Conquest TSi
Old 04-13-2004, 01:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

blue, if they hadn't been smoothed, it'd look worse then a plywood body kit for a 80's civic...

you know how sometimes you see box rockers with the black rubber strip where it touches the body?

i wanted fitment like that...

but yeah, in that picture they look pretty good... painted, they look pretty damn good too... but they don't have the same feel (to me) that the shaved bumpers have... i just don't feel that they match the rest of the car...

i'm going to repaint the car soon, and more than likely i'll switch to the box style rockers...

like i mentioned, i got them from erebuni, this wasn't the first time i've done business with them either... i got a kit from them for a BMW 3-series i had... that kit fit great, but these i think were just a cheaply done knock-off of the Gemballa rockers

to add insult to injury, the gel coat has started to seperate from the fiberglass in a few bubble type areas....
Old 04-13-2004, 03:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Nabeel
Re: Re: This guy did alot of work,, HE IS CRAZY

Quote:
Originally posted by UconnTim97
Wow, that was a lot of work. Too bad he is converting it to electric....
The link does not work for me for some odd reason.......but wasn't there an guy here at Pelican a few months ago who was wanting to buy a 924 and convert it to electric? I know he was definately at Rennlist, and I'm pretty sure he posted here also. This has to be the same guy, he went by the name fuzzbeaner or something. I think his real name was Alex. I remember SoCal had a few choice words for him.

As far as the project goes, I'm all for it. I'm not about to argue the merits of converting a car to electric, but if it floats your boat, go for it.
76K miles
color-matched fuchs

SOLD
Old 04-13-2004, 10:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

fast924s,

nice site.

I think money is no relevance to passion.
Contrary to some replies, I think if he wanted to do this, great, the end result looks good !

NotJustPorsche
Subscribe: notjustporsche-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
Old 04-14-2004, 03:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

I heard somebody was talking about me here, so I thought I'd check it out.

I haven't updated my website in maybe about a year, so the info there is pretty delayed. As for converting the car to electric, that is on hold.....too damned expensive, but with gas prices on the rise I'll be revisiting that in the future.

I am currently installing a 924 turbo drive train in the 924 (yes, both my 931 wide body and my 924 are getting 5 lug/disk brakes). As for cost, I am under $3000 into the 924 (after reselling parts that aren't being used any more etc). That is including the 931 parts car for $300 and the body kit, which I got used from ianseuroparts.com for $500, and of which I am scrapping the sideskirts, they aren't able to be modified to fit the 924 elegantly.

The silver 931 is a different story, I'm into that nearly $6000 at this point, and I haven't painted it yet, and I haven't bought/installed all the body parts either. Both cars are a passion/hobby, therefore money doesn't really matter. I've got 7.5x17" and 9x17" chrome turbo twists for the wheels to go on after I install the 5 lug upgrade (all parts for that ready to go)

It's a case of too much time, but not alot of money, and I love working on any kind of project. If I didn't waste my money on this hobby, I'd waste it somewhere else

Oh, and I'm not the same person as Fuzzbeaner, he's another member on 924.org who just happens to have the same cooky idea I did.

Last edited by Alex Roy; 04-14-2004 at 08:29 AM..
Old 04-14-2004, 07:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by robthe54
blue, if they hadn't been smoothed, it'd look worse then a plywood body kit for a 80's civic...

you know how sometimes you see box rockers with the black rubber strip where it touches the body?

i wanted fitment like that...

to add insult to injury, the gel coat has started to seperate from the fiberglass in a few bubble type areas....
Heheh, I think I saw that picture of the Civic

I dunno, I think the rockers look better as part of the car, than they would as a part that's 'attached' to the car. IMHO. Why not fill in the 'vent' in the current rockers, to achieve the boxed look you want? It would beat the price of buying a whole other set of rockers, especially if you can build them out of what you currently have. Worse case scenario, you ruin those rockers and have to buy the set you are already going to buy anyway.

As to the gel coat seperating. I'm beginning to think some of these big manufacturer's just aren't putting the type of care needed into fiberglass parts. The amount of work I'm having to do to my A.I.R. components has proven that to me. And I have noticed many places where there are air bubbles between the matte and the gelcoat. I'm going to end up sanding most of my gelcoat off, when it's all said and done, and filling it all in with filler, just so I don't have to worry about rocks knocking holes in my car driving down the highway.....
02 Altima SE 3.5 - grocery go-getter
00 Yellow Ducati Monster 900i.e. 88 Chrysler Conquest TSi
Old 04-14-2004, 03:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

i don't know about boxing these out... i'll have to give it some thought... one idea i did have was a grill in the opening...

hmmm, if only i was good with photoshop....
Old 04-14-2004, 03:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
HAHAHAH Im the same way, I wish I was good at photoshop and some of the 3D drawing programs, Then I could really work out all my ideas and design cool stuff
Old 04-14-2004, 03:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Alex Roy
I heard somebody was talking about me here, so I thought I'd check it out.

Welcome to Pelican Alex Roy...

Lots of good people and information available here, moves a little faster than the 924.org board, but not "Gone in sixty seconds" like on Rennlist....
And a whole bunch of German scrap metal shaped like 924's.

Old enough to know better, and stupid enough to do it anyway!
Old 04-14-2004, 05:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: