Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to robthe54
Paint your motor!

Just thought i'd post a picture of my motor, painted... to give people ideas on how they can dress/clean up their engine bay and add abit of that "custom" feel...

I used two part epoxy paint (for brakes) to paint my motor... i've used the engine paint that comes in the shake can before, but i opted for the epoxy as it's more resilient to chemicals such as brakekleen and it's also more scratch resistant and doesn't require a heat-forced cure

to do all of my motor, it took 2 packages of black paint and one package of red paint. at this time i have not painted the alternator, a/c compressor, or p/s pump.

if you want to do this, it's pretty easy and there are varying degrees of labor you can invest in it... to replicate what i've done, you'll basically need to take off the fuel rail and intake, along with the dist. cap and just move aside all the wiring going through there...

it's a fair amount of work, but i feel it was worth it. it definately makes the engine bay feel cleaner to me... let me know what you guys think!

Old 04-14-2004, 08:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I did my cam and dist. cover the same. I like it.
Not sure about the intake man. It could grow on me though.

The longer you have the car the better the engine bay looks. Every part I take off gets a good cleaning and polished or painted.
Old 04-14-2004, 08:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

yeah, the intake to me, is somewhere between not enough and too much... i did my calipers red and the car is black, and i've redone the gauges to be illuminated with red light... so i thought i'd keep the whole red 'n' black thing going... and painting the "webbing" there gave it more "personality..." i may paint over it soon... or i may start sending things to the chrome shop... (thank god i blew that other motor... i've got enough spare parts to build a mad max sequel!) or i may paint the intake boot or something...

too bad not everyone shares our passion for ownership of these cars... whenever i have to do anything to this car, anything... i clean whatever i touch, replace whatever costs less then my time to get at it... just do whatever it takes to keep the level of ownership enjoyment increasing...
Old 04-14-2004, 08:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I have an extra intake man. and am trying to decide what might look good. Honestly, the best I have seen ANY part look was when my head came back from the machine shop. They bead blasted it and dip cleaned it in somethin or another and it was perfect. Still looks really good.

I might try the same thing with the intake. Taking off 20 years of tarnish probably can't hurt.

I too am a big believer in working clean. I use latex/nylon gloves for most repairs and clean everything that is removed.

Anything I do is always less than a new car payment. Ownership is cheap if you ask me.
Old 04-14-2004, 09:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I did mine in black with all stainless steel allen head hardwear and a pilished intake, Came out awsome. The pic does not do it justice...plus the rest of the enfine bay is covered in dust because the car is now getting repainted.
1987 944S- GT3 BODY CONVErSION RED/BLACK( sold )
2003 MERCEDES E500 Sport "Einfarbig"
Old 04-14-2004, 09:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
meister member

Garage
The black and red doesn't do it for me. Sorry. If you like it that is great. That is part of customizing cars, to suit the owners taste. I think it would of looked nicer leaving the distributer housing stock along with the 6mm caps in the cam tower. I think the intake would look better one color. That is just my opinion.
On my car I polished everything I could that wasn't powdercoated from the factory. My throttle cam is polished along with the MAF (zinc is hard to maintain the polish on) , the distributer housing, The 6MM caps on the top of the cam tower and the rear cam cover. I will have to post pics when I get home.
Favorite Road = www.tailofthedragon.com 318 turns in 11 miles (11 min 20 sec best run)
Old 04-14-2004, 09:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I did the black w/ red scheme....

But...

I really like the black /silver. I am going with a silver accent concept for my white car. I may switch to that in the future.
Old 04-14-2004, 09:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
meister member

Garage
s928s now that looks nice man!
Favorite Road = www.tailofthedragon.com 318 turns in 11 miles (11 min 20 sec best run)
Old 04-14-2004, 10:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Speeeeed,

How do you keep the polish polished? Clearcoating? If so, what type?
Old 04-14-2004, 10:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
meister member

Garage
I rub her every month right now but I am considering clear coating. I was going to use some 2 part clear I have left over from when I did my paint.
Old 04-14-2004, 10:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

i love the black/stainless look... where'd you find stainless cam plugs?

is that a polished or chrome dipped intake?
Old 04-14-2004, 10:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Speed.....I don't even spend that much time rubbing my real girlfriend! j/k

I need something that has a bit more longevity....like, a quick wipedown once a month.

Rob - I have seen a couple of black/silver combo's that were done with epoxy. Personal opinion leads me away from chrome. I have seen it and am not a big fan unless the rest of the bay is spotless.
Old 04-14-2004, 10:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

the cam plugs are just new alum ones ( oem) from porsched, they were only $3.00 each and 1 clear coated them. all of the 6mm and 8mm allen hardwear was from a guy on e-bay when listed alot of cycle kits. I had all of the bolts out doing the head, belts and oil cooler. Made a list and ordered them. Was only about $40.00 in hardwear with stainless washers aswell. I can provide a list and the vendor info if anyone is interested. Tke intake is a polished alum housing adapter and a chrome tipped cone. I had to make a bracket out of alum. to hold the ait meret that I had glass beaded painted black... I really need a better dig. camera..robthe54, wil be a the scatterbaum show in nj on 5/23 is you want to see it up close..or i anm just over the bridge in pa..
Old 04-14-2004, 10:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

You know how some kids put gt wings on their civics, or stickers or paint their brake calipers? We also refer to them as ricers..

As they take show more seriously then go..sometimes not even caring about go.

You are doing the same thing..

Except this is called engine rice.
Old 04-14-2004, 01:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

I don't think the conversation of "GO" was the issue. Only a few people showing how they are expressing their pride of ownership. Individuals in a forum or people that have a common idea.

I myself have perfomed mods on the components while in the process of " ricing" my motor. That doesn't make be any better or worse than the person who whats a clean individual look without mods.

I though we were all here for one goal. To discuss our passion for the product, assist each other with knoledge and support, and above all have fun/ live life. Why knock it down ????
Old 04-14-2004, 01:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

no faqq'r this is called, i just COMPLETELY REBUILT MY MOTOR and i didn't want it going back in looking like CRAP

the rest of the car is custom, down to CUSTOM body, check my other posts...

don't flame me or call me a ricer because i do a thorough* job respecting my car.

i seriously can't wait till you dissapear from this board along with all your talk about how you're doing a half-assed wanna-go-fast 951.motor.n.tranny-into-944 swap.

Hey, since OBVIOUSLY you aren't going to paint it, are you even going to CLEAN your motor before you put it in? or since cleaning it would be for show and not go are you just going to leave it dirty?

Since that 951 motor is out of the car and you've got SOooo much l00t to spare, you ARE going to re-seal it... RIGHT?

HAHAHAHAHAHA..... and thanks... i call it Engine-Kraut germans aren't big on rice.

*Main Entry: thorough
Function: adjective
1 : carried through to completion : EXHAUSTIVE
2 a : marked by full detail
b : careful about detail : PAINSTAKING c : complete in all respects d : having full mastery (as of an art)
Old 04-14-2004, 01:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

You moron.

Rice is when your engine is just the way it was before..and all you did is paint it so you can pop the hood and dumb 18 year olds can crowd around your car and go "YOOOO DAT **** IS FAST YO!"

Yeah..ahahah..that's great.

And YES i will clean up my engine..why? Because it wont be stock. It will have the BALLS necessary to back up the PORSCHE logo written on it.
Old 04-14-2004, 02:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
But my starter is already painted!
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 04-14-2004, 02:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

well, MORON, i guess you missed the fact that i just dropped a fat wad of cash on rebuilding my motor.

it's rebuilt and painted. not "just the way it was, but painted... "

The Porsche moniker stands for excellence in design. control. not power.

If a 944 with JUST the 951 motor in it was worthy of the porsche nameplate, they would have built it that way. but we covered that in the other thread... with the ad, illustrating the differences b/t the 944 and 951.

Porches aren't about balls... you sure you don't drive a camaro?

stop wasting our time with your garbage...
speaking of... shouldn't you be out hunting through junk yards for parts?
Old 04-14-2004, 02:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

This doesnt change the fact that you painted your engine..

For nothing other than looks, and maybe to attract attention when you pop your hood..to give the ILLUSION of modification.

Ive seen this before...bahaha..do you honestly think youre the first?

Hey, maybe next you'll wanna put in baby blue sparkplug wires..bahaha..
Old 04-14-2004, 02:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: