Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Vertex...Too Cheap???

How can these guys sell a 944S clutch package for 389 bucks?
Most other places,that'll barely get you the disc!
Are these knock-off parts or am I paranoid?
Mike
Old 05-03-2004, 10:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Writer/Teacher

Garage
Send a message via AIM to CJFusco
no they are the real deal. Depending on the parts, it's either Pelican or Vertex that has the best prices; for example, last week i ordered a distributor cap and rotor from Vertex and a sunroof seal and wiper blades from Pelican.

Perhaps Performance Products and Tweeks just jack up their prices THAT much?
Current Stable: Black 07 Porsche Cayman S: FabSpeed Maxflo Exhaust; VividRacing ECU Tune; IPD Competition Plenum; 997GT3 Throttle Body; De-Snork'd.2011 Acura MDX. 2008 Mazda 3. Gone But Not Forgotten:Garnet Red 86 Porsche 951("The Purple Pig"). Silver 09 Mini Cooper S ("Mighty Mouse"). Alpine White 83 Porsche 944 ("Alpine Wolf"). Guards Red 84 Porsche 944. Green 97 Volvo 850 Wagon ("The Viridian Falcon").
Old 05-03-2004, 10:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to latunluvr Send a message via Yahoo to latunluvr
My buddy works at the local service department for a BMW dealer. Whenever I need factory parts, he orders them from the Porsche dealer down the street. He just says that they have a Porsche in their shop and then they sell him the parts at cost. In most cases, I've been getting timing belts, balance belts, water pumps, etc... at more than 1/2 off of what they were going to charge me if I bought it at the P dealer instead. I can't speak for aftermarket stuff, but for genuine Porsche parts, there's a huge markup!
Old 05-03-2004, 11:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Vertex's only problem is that mysterious 'handleing' charge. It is based on a percentage so it goes up the more you buy.

I don't really use them because, being here in florida, I also have to pay sales tax.

Sales tax 7% + handling fee % = Just order from pelican.
Old 05-03-2004, 11:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Mein Gott!

Garage
True to a point. Yeah, Genuine Porsche parts have a giant mark-up but the fun part is finding who the OEM manufacturer was/is and get THOSE parts. They just will not say "porsche" on it. A perfect example of this is Mahle oil filters, Zimmerman rotors, Boge/Sachs shocks, the list goes on.

There is a string of parts houses that I get things from. It seems to revolve around Vertex, Paragon Products, Zims, Partsheaven (for used parts if need be) and one or two others. It really depends on who is having the best $$$ deal, but these guys run a close race for the most part. Excellence magazine usually has their ads that say what the latest specials are. And yes, sometimes the deals ARE that good.
1972 Triumph TR6 - 100% trouble free between breakdowns
2003 BMW 325xi
Old 05-03-2004, 11:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to scheistermeiste Send a message via Yahoo to scheistermeiste
vertexs prices are ok, but their in person customer service sucks

Asking if you should replace that timing belt is like asking if you should re-use a condom that may have in hole in it with a hooker.
Old 05-03-2004, 01:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to latunluvr Send a message via Yahoo to latunluvr
I ordered a bra from Pelican (anyone from Pelican reading this?) for my 968 about a month ago and received mirror bras instead. I've e-mailed them twice and made one phone call. I'm still waiting for my car bra. I received a message saying that there was a catalog error but nothing has been done to fix the problem yet. The verdict is still out on Pelican's Customer Service for me.
Old 05-03-2004, 02:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Vertex has a charge for the use of a credit card.
1987 328GTS
2011 528i
Old 05-03-2004, 03:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

To me these kind of 'hidden' charges are a bit dishonest.

I will probably order from them in the future but I will have to perform a little algebra to figure it out. I think the equation is...

Clutch kit 389 x sales tax% x handling% + credit card charge =

Sound right?
Old 05-03-2004, 03:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

The reason for the cheaper price is that the disc isn't Sachs, the pressure plate, and throw-out bearing is though. I've used a few of their clutch packages on various cars both 944 and 951 with good results. We had a clutch package fail on an early 911S that we bought from vertex, funny thing is that it was all sachs components, the disc actually separated. don't think that's vertexs fault though.
Old 05-03-2004, 05:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

You have the choice of the disk. You can get the Sachs one or other. I odered my clutch kit online and there was not a credit card fee. I did get the 3% (handeling fee) The only thing I was pissed at was the really fast (like two days to Canada shipping. Not that I minded the 2 days but they didn't ask me if I needed it fast and it cost me $156 us.
Old 05-03-2004, 05:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
I have a lot of performance products catalogs....i use them for reference and some of the diagrams...or just to look at random stuff. Then i buy from pelican...on some items, the prices here are twice as cheap!!
996 GT3 4 Liter - Basalt Black - gone
Old 05-03-2004, 06:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Ronnie, I really doubt they gave you the option of an aftermarket disc or the Sachs one for the same price, maybe that was the $100 or so difference.
Old 05-03-2004, 06:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to ae1969
One of the problems with Vertex is shipping charges (international orders)........

Pelican is great at giving you a variety of shipping options! Postal service all the way for avoiding brokerage fees, duties, taxes etc....

You have to know what you are looking for at pelican but their price points are quite good. The staff does not seem too well versed on the 944 line but it seems to be hit and miss when you call...
www.edmontonrealestate.ws
Old 05-03-2004, 06:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

shop around...that's all I can say.
1981 VW Rabbit diesel
1984 Isuzu P'up diesel
Old 05-04-2004, 08:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
I have had nothing but trouble ordering from Pelican and getting wrong parts. Mismatched brake rotors, a steering wheel with incomplete hardware, and on another order received a steering wheel that I didn't order at all (but was charged for)!

Paragon has been nothing but smooth sailing, prices are good also.

Old 05-04-2004, 09:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to 944imraan
Most places list what's included in the clutch kit, but I don't see that listed on Vertex. Anyone who's bought a Vertex clutch kit for a N/A 944 care to say what was included?

--my first car
--limited slip differential
--cross drilled rotors
--omnimagnum high-energy ignition
--CB equipped
--laptop installed, seeking GPS chip

--keep the socks away from my car
Old 08-22-2004, 05:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

The 944S clutch kits are going for $469 and $519, I don't see one for $389.
I've only ordered from Vertex, Auto Atlanta and Zims. Vertex sent me the belt/rollers for a 944 not the 944S (called and they sent correct belt/roller and return postage, 2 days). Auto Atlanta had back ordered a few gaskets and sent me an extra part not ordered. (called and they wanted me to ship it back, I told them to send return postage when they ship my back ordered stuff. Still waiting on back order). Zim's no problems at all.
87 944S - Sold
77 924 - Sold

Last edited by rb101; 08-23-2004 at 03:31 AM..
Old 08-23-2004, 02:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Parrothead member

Been using Vertex for a long time, never had a problem with them, sure the shipping might be high but it still comes out cheaper than most other suppliers.
Old 08-23-2004, 04:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by ronniebaldino
I did get the 3% (handeling fee) The only thing I was pissed at was the really fast (like two days to Canada shipping. Not that I minded the 2 days but they didn't ask me if I needed it fast and it cost me $156 us.
Yes, there is a HUGE markup on Porsche parts - in some instances, over 10000%. Usually, the markup is anywhere from 30% - 700%

The handling charges and the like are how places like this make their money. They draw you in with low catelog prices, then give you handling charge andcredit card surcharges.

You have heard me cite before, the "on line parts retailer that shall remain nameless" had 951 strut inserts for around $285. This is LESS than dealer cost by about $20 per strut. The sales rep then told me that they would have to order the parts from Porsche, and that shipping to me would be just over $100 for ground shippment.

Mistake #1: I have a Porsche account, so I can find out what dealer cost vs. my cost, vs. retail is.

Mistake #2: If you deal with Porsche directly, they will overnight a package to you as long as the order is over $50, for a $10 charge.

I ordered directly from Porsche, paid more for the part, but only $10 to get them here. Customer paid less than what he would have paid had he ordered from "online retailer who shall remain nameless"

Tp put shipping charges into perspective, I ship 911 heads (qty 6) across the country, three day select, for $75. Package weight is about 50 - 60 pounds.....

Significantly less than shipping a clutch for $156.

Vertex is good for some things - I've noticed that the published prices seldom match what they charge you for it though.

AFJuvat

Ihr Brunnen der nutzlosen Porsche Information
Old 08-23-2004, 04:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: