Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Send a message via AIM to fast924S
Angry Oil leak! (when will the problems stop)

A couple of days ago I backed out the 924S and noticed a nice puddle of mobil 1 on my garage floor, I check the oil level it was a little low, I started the car and oil pressure jumped right up just fine. SO I inspected engine and found 3 things, Oil is comming from what looks like the d/s Balancing shaft, But I need to pull the manifold to be sure. Second I found a little puddle of oil on top of the waterpump??? This is weird I dont know how it got there or where it came from, any IDEAS???
The third thing I found was oil on the lower front timming cover, possable crank seal or oil pump seal??
Well anyway I spend $125 on new seal for my motor, gonna do a full front engine seal job and reseal the cam housing and both balancing shafts, If you guys have any hints or tips or anything let me know, THANX

Old 05-04-2004, 04:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Writer/Teacher

Garage
Send a message via AIM to CJFusco
well, to be fair, old Porsches leak oil... especially if you run synthetic...

however, it seems like your problem might need some attention
Current Stable: Black 07 Porsche Cayman S: FabSpeed Maxflo Exhaust; VividRacing ECU Tune; IPD Competition Plenum; 997GT3 Throttle Body; De-Snork'd.2011 Acura MDX. 2008 Mazda 3. Gone But Not Forgotten:Garnet Red 86 Porsche 951("The Purple Pig"). Silver 09 Mini Cooper S ("Mighty Mouse"). Alpine White 83 Porsche 944 ("Alpine Wolf"). Guards Red 84 Porsche 944. Green 97 Volvo 850 Wagon ("The Viridian Falcon").
Old 05-04-2004, 05:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I start worrying when they don't leak. Sounds like camshaft seal to me.
Old 05-04-2004, 10:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

That sounds very similar to what I just went through. I actually broke down the whole front three times trying to find the exact spot.

I STILL have a very very slight leak of unknown origin. leaking oil in the front seems to travel down, right and left no matter where it begins.
Old 05-04-2004, 10:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Cebu
If you run "restore" or any other type of engine/seal conditioner for 100-300 miles and then do an oil change. Use 15w-50w or 20w-50w oil, Clean engine exterior and drive for 50 miles or so and check for leaks. You will probably note that your oil leak is gone. This is my personal experience with the 944 and 2-BMW's, 81 & 82 320i's with more the 250.000 miles on the engines.
94 Impala SS
Old 05-04-2004, 10:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Those additives are supposed to be a big no no for the 944's. Clog oil gullies.

Switching back to castrol gtx (80's best) and 20/50 might be a better temporary "fix"
Old 05-04-2004, 12:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Rather than band-aid the problem..
If you are leaking from the top seal, your belts are probably coated in oil and degrading. Check the belts. If it's time to replace them do the seals along with it. Throw in a water pump and thermostat and you have a healthy weekend project.

I disagree that synthetics cause leaks. The higher viscosity allows the oil to flow better, hence the drips on the floor. I've used Mobil1 for 6 stratight years without a problem. all the leaks I had were missed PM from a PO. - seals, oil cooler, oil pan gasket etc.

88 924S Guards/ Black ~ 10 years as a Daily Driver and STILL SMILING!
87 NA Diamond Blue Metallic ~ Gone
Old 05-05-2004, 03:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

True. Mobil 1 will just make a leak possibly more apparent. This thread has made me think that I need to check the other (internal) cam housing bolts and give them a torque.
Old 05-05-2004, 05:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

my mechanic who is a decent wrench, recently identified an oil leak in my car coming from the valve cover. He explained that no gasket set exists and the job is to be re sealed with gasketing silicones readily available.

1998 Glacier White Boxster
1971 Fiat 124 Spyder
1999 Mercury Mountaineer
Old 05-05-2004, 07:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

PS I don't think synthetic materials have any effect on the presence of leaks. Our cars are old and need seal replacement and an understanding of their aging nature and the limitations of older technology. That said, it's always fun to spank the dayights out of a miata, eclipse or celica who needs a quick tutorial on the legend of the Porsche 944 and how damn fast we can corner with confidence.

1971 Fiat 124 Spyder
1999 Mercury Mountaineer
Old 05-05-2004, 07:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Honey Badger

Your mechanic is wrong. I replaced a leaky cam tower gasket a while back and its dry as a bone.

Synthetic oils tend to leak more because the particles in the oil are a lot more uniform than dino oil . So the larger clumps in dino oil will plug up small oil leaks.
Old 05-05-2004, 12:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to fast924S
From what I hear about synthetic is that it doesnt cause leaks, what happens is when someone is running regular oil for years a film builds up on the gaskets and seals them even better so if the gasket was leaking a little it wont be know because of the gunk that builds up on it, When you switch over to a synthetic, the cleaning agents clean off all the build up and blam a old worn gasket starts to leak.
Old 05-05-2004, 12:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

hey silver thanks I'll look for that spot in the repair manual. Are you saying that the valve cover can't leak? Or that the leak you spoke of emulates a valve cover leak? Af

1971 Fiat 124 Spyder
1999 Mercury Mountaineer
Old 05-05-2004, 02:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
I have some oil leaks (particularly between the cam housing and head)...but theyre incredibly small...never any oil on the ground. So i just live with it.
996 GT3 4 Liter - Basalt Black - gone
Old 05-05-2004, 03:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

I'm not leaving oil spots either, but I dislike the burning oil smell when it hits the exhaust manifold. I still think my mechanic could be right.

1971 Fiat 124 Spyder
1999 Mercury Mountaineer
Old 05-05-2004, 03:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Honey Badger

I think when you say valve cover you mean the cam-tower or cam-housing. Its the part that says Porsche. It has two gaskets. One is on the back for a little block-off plate, the other is the large one that goes between it and the head. Mine also leaked onto the exhaust causing a pretty bad smell. Pelican sells them both and they are pretty cheap. The only thing you have to worry about is removing the belt from the cam pully. I have an easy way of doing this without messing up the belt tension though.

Ed
Old 05-06-2004, 02:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by Ferrara_racing
my mechanic who is a decent wrench, recently identified an oil leak in my car coming from the valve cover. He explained that no gasket set exists and the job is to be re sealed with gasketing silicones readily available.

LOL!! I did about 3 Cam Housing Gasket changes on both 83 and 88 944 that I own. Find another mechanic. hehe!

It looks like this.

My Gaming Forums. Xbox360gen.com
Old 05-06-2004, 03:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Thanks dudes, even if every one of your "helpful hints". The local Porsche dealer, once replaced my belts and when I got my car back it was leaking like the Exxon Valdeez. They charged me to replace the front oil seal they damaged in the first place. That was the last time I bent over for them.

The current mechanic did a great job on the waterpump, rollers and belts. Where I live it's tough to find a good wrench. I will admit though the photo of the gasket is very troubling, christ he should know about that!!!

1971 Fiat 124 Spyder
1999 Mercury Mountaineer
Old 05-06-2004, 04:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: