Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by SoCal Driver

Attitude. I have no problems with my attitude.
Good thing, since I wasn't talking about you directly then.

My P-caronline Profile

"A good time to keep your mouth shut is when you're in deep water. "--
Sidney Goff
Old 05-12-2004, 11:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Garage
Others might have problems with my attitude. I don't.

As to Danno's membership; as of two weeks ago he was not labeled as a member on his postings. Nor was there a sponsor listing but most knew that he was. Only after a recent round of pubescent b1tching about why some posters were not members and my pointing this out was Danno listed as a member.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 05-12-2004, 01:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
Just thinking out loud

Renn operates much the same as a frat/ sorority. Once you have gathered enough info, or have been around awhile, the message amongst some members is to pay up and be one of "us." It's blatantly obvious, and it's humorous, yet disturbing. It's not how I'd pass the message, but hey, what ever works. Alot of rennlisters have done quite a bit for the administration cost on their own dime, such as cards under wipers, I respect that, and those who wish to reach out to all. "Membership has it's privileges", as they say. Socal, who cares what ones status says above their avatar? Whoop de friggin do! However you are right about individuals who post, pm, whatever, asking "where's my membership label, card, sticker, etc...?" That's a petty thing to get your panties in a wad about.
Old 05-12-2004, 02:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

I use both simply due to the fact that if something doesn't get answered here, it might get answered there.

Generally most of the good technical advice can be found here quite readily thanks to SoCal and others.

I actually like Pelican better. It's a slower moving board where you can actually get to know, in an internet car forum type of way, the people in the community here. There you just have 500 different people respond to you, and occasionally you might recognize a name that responded to you once before.

The fact remains that on either board, if you ask a question that has been asked 5.6 billion times, you most likely will get flamed or informed of where to find the search button. This isn't a Pelican or Rennlist specific issue, it's found on any internet forum that has 1000's of pages worth of archives. How many times are you gonna listen to your kid in the backseat ask "Are we there yet?" before you scream at them?
02 Altima SE 3.5 - grocery go-getter
00 Yellow Ducati Monster 900i.e. 88 Chrysler Conquest TSi
Old 05-12-2004, 02:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

I hang out on both. Sometimes I post more on Rennlist, then a couple of months later I'll post more on Pelican. I sell my parts on both boards. Like someone said before, they are what you make them. Sometimes the Rennlist has a little too much OT stuff.Seems to be a lot of younger folks on Rennlist also. Both are great boards, and both have helped me out of jams.

I have tons of spare parts, let me know what you need.
Old 05-12-2004, 02:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
Just thinking out loud

I don't which board to thank for getting me in contact with Todd ^ , anyway, thanks alot man!
Old 05-12-2004, 02:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Garage
No wadded panties here! Just my observations. I too find it quite "interesting".
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 05-12-2004, 04:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Hey Matt, it was one of the boards, can't rember which one though.
I think both boards have a place in the 944 world. There have been a couple of times when I got answers on one and not the other. Both boards have strong points and weak points. Like I said before, the only thing about Rennlist that I don't like at times is the too much OT stuff.

I have tons of spare parts, let me know what you need.
Old 05-12-2004, 08:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

FWIW, I left Rennlist because of the constant "If you ain't a paying member, you ain't". I wrote to the Boss and he said "Hey you've been around forever, you are what this is all about". (registration number under 50) I wrote back and made the suggestion that he let posters know that harassment of non paying folks should not be allowed.

It was sporadic, but sometimes would fill up pages, the reasons why one should pay up, listing ad nauseum the advantages of "truly joining". "Gee, if I hadn't joined, I would have NEVER received the answer on XXXXXXXXX."

Frankly, I like it here more. There are, overall, fewer "twits" here.

Just my humble opinion.
Old 05-12-2004, 08:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
Deplorable Member

Garage
Nobody asked me to pay there, I didn't mind doing it of my own volition. I got VERY good advice & answers there to some questions I had and I don't mind paying to keep something that does such a service to the Porsche community going. For that matter, I get good advice here too, and I've bought stuff from Pelican (which ain't cheap) so that sort of covers my share of keeping this board going. . .

Black Cars Matter
Old 05-12-2004, 08:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by todd84944
Like I said before, the only thing about Rennlist that I don't like at times is the too much OT stuff.
Amen to that, Todd.

My P-caronline Profile

"A good time to keep your mouth shut is when you're in deep water. "--
Sidney Goff
Old 05-13-2004, 07:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)
least common denominator

I find both boards useful and entertaining, although I hang out here more because it just seems to be a more jovial bunch of folks. Personaly I think they tend to take themselves WAY too seriously IMHO. They also have somewhat of a gang mentality.. interesting that the guy who owns/runs the board doesn't push membership on anybody but SOME of the members get all huffy about joining.

Yeah more OT stuff but I suppose it is member supported so I guess it make sense that they would be more lenient in that area. And yes they get allot more traffic which can be a good thing if you want a quick answer or a bad thing if you can't get back to the computer for a few hours and your post gets lost several pages back.

I have seen flaming on both boards, don't know where SOME rennlister get a tude about Pelican being a tough place, seen plenty of "heated discussion" on or even "violent disagreements" here and there.
Old 05-13-2004, 09:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Eyal 951
I am an avid rennlister, but have recently signed up here, cause i love the communities, and wanted more. I have never pestered anyone on rennlist to join. I am a member, I feel I should give back, but it doesn't bother me that someone else isn't... I'd like to see them join, but i won't say anything. Anywho, you guys are much more timid.... at least so far.
~Eyal
Old 05-13-2004, 11:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)
least common denominator

Wink

Well I was going to join rennlist until I read the clause "all rennlist member must wear women's underwear when posting"
Old 05-13-2004, 12:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by scottmandue
Well I was going to join rennlist until I read the clause "all rennlist member must wear women's underwear when posting"
It does make you feel pretty!

My P-car Online Profile
Old 05-13-2004, 12:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

I agree So-Cal driver...
I ran into one person on Renn who was the biggest jerk I hope I ever meet...But I guess thats par for ther course...The attitude or lack of it here seems to be better IMHO, although I often read both places when I have time...
Old 05-13-2004, 03:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)
Deplorable Member

Garage
And the satin rubs you just right where it counts. Mmmmmmm.

Black Cars Matter
Old 05-13-2004, 06:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)
Nobody Special

Quote:
Originally posted by 944pete
It does make you feel pretty!
You bad boy Pete
'89 951 Guards Red/Black Leather 69K (Winner Best Stock 944 Turbo - 944Fest 2005)
www.autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/CorysPorschePage/
Rennlist: "GOBOGIE"
Old 05-13-2004, 08:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Nabeel
I post on both boards. I've been posting here at Pelican far longer, but lately I seem to be posting more at Rennlist. Both are good boards, Rennlist moves way faster but generally the people there are very nice. I agree that there seem to be more 'attitudes' floating around Rennlist, but overall the people are very friendly. I've found that Pelican, however, seems to have slightly better pure technical advice, thanks to SoCal, AFJuvat, and others (I hope the Rennlist boys don't get mad at me for saying that ). However, Rennlist seems to have more of a welcoming atmosphere at the same time, and some damn good tech people over there also. I say use both boards and be thankful that such great places exist for interchange of ideas, advice, and banter about 944s.
76K miles
color-matched fuchs

SOLD
Old 05-14-2004, 06:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)

Quote:
Guess you could call telling someone that they are wasting their money "flaming". We call it being honest and truthful.
No such thing as truth to an opinion.
Seal Beach, CA, USA
Old 05-14-2004, 08:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: