Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

My first 944

Hi all!

Just bought my first 944, it's an 84 with 160K, rebuilt engine (at around 120K) and replaced clutch (at around the same time).

The car is rough inside. The original owner took out the seats and put in cloth racers, which are now all torn and stained. As far as I know it needs new motor mounts (obviously), have to do the timing belt and water pump, and a bunch of other smaller things.

How many folks here work on their cars? Planning to take the car to the shop this week to do the timing belt, water pump, and the motor mount, all that for close to 2K.
Curious if there is someone in D.C. area who'd like to make some cash, while letting me watch and assist. Any takers???

Thanks
-Siberian
Old 05-22-2004, 04:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to will944
Congrats on your purchase! Any pics??

I'm sure there are some people around who may be willing to help you out. The belt job is pretty simple with the proper tools.

Good Luck
87 951
C3 Stingray
Old 05-22-2004, 05:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Siberian-
Whereabouts do you live in fairfax? I can't help you with any of the maintenance (i'm just learning myself) but I'm over in falls church..so if you see a metallic brown 944 you'll know who it is.
What are some of the "smaller things" you have to do. I had to do a little work on mine when i first got it running and it was pretty intuitive, but nothing like the water pump and t-belt..what shop are you taking it to? I take mine to a great shop down in lorton that works exclusively on audis and porsches...they do GREAT work, and they really baby the cars.
Old 05-22-2004, 07:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Thanks all for a warm welcome. I haven't had a chance to really enjoy the car yet, as I'm being cautious and waiting to change belts, etc before taking it on the road. I am sure it will be a blast.
I'm taking my car to Intersport, an independent porsche shop in tysons corner, they were recommended to me by a friend. Let me know more details about the place in Lorton I'm at ikarchov@hotmail.com
Old 05-22-2004, 08:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to bryanthompson Send a message via AIM to bryanthompson Send a message via Yahoo to bryanthompson
Quote:
Originally posted by ernestedward
Siberian-
Whereabouts do you live in fairfax? I can't ..so if you see a metallic brown 944 you'll know who it is.
Do you have a pic of your car? There aren't too many brown 944s out there... I've only see one other than my own.
Old 05-22-2004, 08:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Deplorable Member

Garage
Congratulations and welcome to the world of Porsche 944 ownership! It's not a car, it's truly an obsession (as no doubt you'll find out). There are a LOT of do-it-yourself type people that are excellent 944 wrenchers out there. There's likewise a well-developed network of Internet-based resources for you. You've already found this one, I'd also suggest Clark's Garage and Rennlist, to name just a couple.

The world of 944 owners is pretty small, but we're all similar enough to help each other out. Virtually any 944 owner in your area is bound to know something of use to you.

As an observation:
If you're mechanically competent and willing to TAKE YOUR TIME with the repairs (i.e. NOT do it under a deadline) you can easily do all those repairs for the price of parts and basic hand tools (exception: H2O pump thermostat will require snap-ring pliers, a flywheel lock is highly recommended (although there's ways around that too), and a belt tensioner of some sort is also recommended (although some people do it "by feel" and are quite good with it).

I'm just about to tackle this job myself as well: my recommendation would be to (since you're in there) change all the rollers and front engine seals also.

Motor mounts I haven't actually done, and I've read that they're a bit of a PITA, but they're a fairly common repair item on these cars. There's pretty good documentation available on doing them to the point where (again) if you have tools, time, parts and resources (like a garage), you shouldn't have much problem - I wouldn't sweat doing it, and I don't even have the garage! Best of luck with it!

Black Cars Matter
Old 05-22-2004, 09:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Burn the fire.

Garage
Standard offer: Pay my airfare, give me a place to sleep and feed me, i'll be more than happy to help with repairs

Motor mounts are cake if you've got a floorjack and a breaker bar (not for breaking). Timing belt, water pump and roller, i'm new to that one, but instructions are easy to follow. Any of those other "while we're in here" things usually take hours and become the money pits.

"Drive it like you stole it."
Old 05-23-2004, 12:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Deplorable Member

Garage
I SERIOUSLY would recommend the seals though.

Black Cars Matter
Old 05-23-2004, 08:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

I just got an '87 924s for parts that has a black interior (the 924s has the early 944 interior). Other than the dash the interior is in pretty good shape. If there are things you need/want, let me know. Cloth seats by the way.

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.
Old 05-23-2004, 09:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Here she is...after a bit of clean up.

Old 05-23-2004, 04:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Here's mine:

the rest of the pics are at http://ned.jonx.com/pics

there are some "before" ones with the rollcage in and before i cleaned it up, and some large "after" ones.
Old 05-23-2004, 04:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to SlowToady
Congratulations! You're going to love your car. I know I sure love mine. Treat her right, and don't skimp on maintence. Porsche's don't make for cheap mistresses, but they're worth the money.

I haven't done motor mounts yet (but I probably will..) but I just did the T-belt and such today, and I've had more trouble getting my pants on in the morning. I know, I know..but really, it's NOT that bad. Porsche says 6 hours, but I doubt it...we were under that (or well, ok, WOULD have been, but I forgot a part(!)). If you're patient and fairly competent with a box wrench and ratchet, you can get away with doing it yourself.

Congratulations.

Fakelife.com Nothing to do with archery anymore. Porsche/BMW/Ferrari/Honda videos
Old 05-23-2004, 04:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by FR Wilk
Are you parked with your wheels turned or is your steering wheel upside down?
Good Eye !!!!
Current Stable 944 83 Kalahari Beige manual rack, short 5th gear951 86 Guards Red, pristine TurboYou must not anger the Porsche Gods - you MUST leave one small item unrepaired, lest the Stuttgartians smite thine car with bad Ju-Ju-AF Juvat
Old 05-23-2004, 06:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Wheel turned.
Old 05-23-2004, 07:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to ilikemy944
edward - how do you have late wheels filling those fenders?

Current: '86 951 Sunroof Delete - '89 951 - '83 944 Spec - '08 Cayenne Turbo
Past: '88 924S Track - '86 944 16v - '87 951 - '87 951 - '88 951S - '08 Cayman S - '87 944 Track - '93 968
Old 05-23-2004, 07:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

I'm not exactly sure...PO completely revamped the car with S2 engine and tranny, new suspension and brakes..I believe at least the brakes are off the 968, and it's got a late turbo body kit..does that answer your question? I've been trying to get in touch with him to get as complete a history of the car as I can..at least I know that he bought it new in 1983 and has taken good care of it since.

Siberian - why is your temp/gas gauge rotated? Or are my eyes deceiving me?
Old 05-24-2004, 06:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Nope it's not your yes...they're both at a pretty good angle. Haven't taken the time to open up the dash and find out why. A good thing is they work!!!
Old 05-24-2004, 07:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Nabeel
Welcome, and that is a fantastic looking 944 you got! I see you post over on AWOT sometimes also. I lurk there, very rarely post though. Hope you enjoy it here!
76K miles
color-matched fuchs

SOLD
Old 05-24-2004, 02:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: