Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Unhappy Back from the shop with a hefty estimate

Hi all,

Got a call from my mechanic, he inspected the car and came up with the below list of repairs. I've done minor work on cars before, mainly oil changes, cap, rotor, plugs, filters, that kind of thing. The repairs total almost $5K I am pretty sure I could tackle most with the exception of the timing belt work...
Here we go

Timing belt/drive belts/all tensioners/all rollers/all seals/water pump $2100 (parts+labor)

Motor mounts $420 (labor only)

Front brakes& rotors $475 (parts+labor)

Steering rack & tie rods $965 (parts+labor)

Oil pan gasket and rod barings $1386 (parts+labor)

Do the prices seem fair? this is a porsche only shop...pretty reputable in this area.

Old 05-26-2004, 10:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I can get a P/S rack on e-bay for about $100 give or take. Clark's garage has pretty details instructions

Rotors and pads are on e-bay as well for about $180 total

Oilpan gasket sounds like a pain.....

Should be a fun weekend under the car
Old 05-26-2004, 10:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I'd do the work myself. Timing belt/pump...seems a bit high. Brakes and rotors are easy, I'd also do the wheel bearings.

Check out www.rennbay.com for a power steering rack rebuild kit, not to difficult. While you are doing the tie rod ends, and rack, Id do the pump at the same time, and with the early car replace the ball joints too.

IF you are going to do the oil pump gasket and bearings, while the engine is off the mounts, replace them too. You could really tear it all down and do it at the same time. (except the t-belt) As the rack, mounts, oil pan, ps pump, tie rods, and ball joints are all there pretty much togeher on the crossmember.
Old 05-26-2004, 11:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
I have a rebuilt ZF power steering rack from my 944 turbo for sale. $135 + shipping. Also have a power steering pump if you need it also.

Old 05-26-2004, 11:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Thanks! Does the rack still have the tie rods on it??
Old 05-26-2004, 11:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Yes.

Old 05-27-2004, 12:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

The labor only quote on the motor mounts sounds like a huge butt bone. I just had the same work completed as far as seals, belts, rollers and updated water pump, oil and fuel filter. Total was $1692.00

1998 Glacier White Boxster
1971 Fiat 124 Spyder
1999 Mercury Mountaineer
Old 05-27-2004, 04:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Mein Gott!

Garage
I agree. This guy is giving you the shaft. Most places charge about $400 for the motor mount job - and it INCLUDES the mounts.

Yeah, a timing belt job is no small task, but should not be at the stratospheric $2K+ that he's asking, even if you are in the overly-expensive Fairfax area. Never did quite understand that.

Do some research on finding parts at a fair price (heck, you're already looking at a good deal on the sterring rack), and take your time with the DIY work. You'll save oodles. A 5K repair bill? You don't need no stinking 5K repair bill!
1972 Triumph TR6 - 100% trouble free between breakdowns
2003 BMW 325xi
Old 05-27-2004, 05:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to TheCooler
5k+ ....damnnnnn. I would just buy another 944 that didnt need the work. Seriously, I am really a novice mechanic (i learn very quick) but Ive done all of those things myself and it has never run me more then 150 each time. The only thing I didnt do was the clutch. That was only because I didnt have the space to do it at the time.

-Timing belt...I learned how to do it at the timing belt party we had in CT and its really like a couple hour job including the seals and rollers.

-Mounts...the mounts are a peice of pie after you get the oil pan dropped since you already have the crossmember disconnected.

-Brakes took me 1 hr for all of them. Its pretty straight forward

-Tie rods and steering..I took this all off when I did the oil pan. It was pretty straight forward as is almost all the suspention. Once again if youre doing the oil pan and bearings its part of the steps.

-Oil pan and bearings... Now heres the ****ty one. It took me a good half a day to get all the suspention off and get it ready for the gasket. I went back to it the next day and it took me like 20 minutes to figure out how to hold the engine up and get the oil pan off. The hardest part was trying to get the damn thing back on because the gasket kept shifting around ..next time i will use duct tape to hold the bolts in while i do it.

Im guessing if you do the work yourself it would be a good 3 days of work barring any stripped bolts or other problems. If you have the money to spend go for it but I would really get another quote because they really shouldnt be charging you for labor on the mounts or that much on the steering rack.
-2007 Ford PIMP(free)star ...company car....
-1999.5 Jetta VR6
Old 05-27-2004, 05:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to jetmax Send a message via Yahoo to jetmax
Who is your mechanic, HBL Porsche dealer?
When I first did my belts/rollers/w pump I ordered my parts from Pelican and then took them to Curry's to have them installed. I believe Dulles International Motorsports has the best labor price in the area.

You should be able to do your own brakes. I got my rotors from ebay and the pads from the local parts store.

Last edited by jetmax; 05-27-2004 at 06:37 AM..
Old 05-27-2004, 06:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Is that mechanic going to at least supply the vaseline when he bends you over?
You could do all of that for a fraction of that price. None of those jobs are particularly difficult.
If you can't work on these cars yourself you're spending a lot of uneccessary cash.

My P-car Online Profile
Old 05-27-2004, 08:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Sounds like your mechanic is ferdinand Porsche himself!

Belts and rollers should be about $500-700

Everything seems to be inflated 3-4x.

Would be interested in how much that list would cost at AFJUVAT 's place.

I would suspect less than half.
Ask around and take your business elsewhere.
Old 05-27-2004, 09:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Burn the fire.

Garage
Hey, here's the good news!

With a couple weekends and all the parts and tools, you can save yourself nearly all of that money! DIY it all the way.

"Drive it like you stole it."
Old 05-27-2004, 10:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Siberian-
Try giving either Bill or Stan a call at RPM before you give up. I haven't gotten that work quoted myself, but it's worth a shot. 703-550-8240. They really do great work, in fact I'm bringing my car back in there tuesday.
Old 05-27-2004, 01:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to pokey
Hell, You buy the parts, I'll fly back and do the labor for 10% off thier quote, and we'll all be happy, right? I could even visit my mother (I grew up in Alexandria and Fairfax).
1955 BMW R69
1999 Range Rover Callaway #011 of 220 (Yeah, as in Callaway Corvette...)
Old 05-27-2004, 04:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Wow...what an array of responses

Vote is in....everyone agrees I'm getting shafted.

Unfortunately motor mounts and all the engine work is already done. There is no way I'll go back to the shop (Intersports in Tysons Corner). The owner fleeced me pretty well. The original estimate for Water pump and belts was 1200. I agreed.
After he took the car apart, he called telling me that I need all seals, rollers and tentioners replaced, and it was going to run an additional 800 in parts and labor. Left me no choice, as the car was already dismantled.
In any case, I'm slowly gathering parts for the rest of repairs, and will do them myself.
I also just picked up an '87 844 on which I'll attempt to do the belts myself.
I will keep you updated on the progress.
Thanks a million for all your advice!
Old 05-27-2004, 10:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

The money is really not an issue here. If it were I wouldn't have the car to begin with.
I originally called Omar at Intersport, told him I was new to the area as well as new to prosches ( It was only after I had the TT for a couple of years, that I started looking at it's big brother Porsche )
Omar quoted approximately $1200 for the belts and water pump job, which at the time seemed reasonable. Now that 1200 is doubled. I am surprised at how instead of gaining a potential long term customer, the owner chose to make a quick buck instead....
Old 05-27-2004, 10:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Burn the fire.

Garage
Never agree to overpriced service, especially if you're not sure it's overpriced yet. Take that estimate, and shop around always. That P-word on your car often makes service shops push your wallet's limits.

Old 05-27-2004, 10:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Lesson learned....
Old 05-27-2004, 10:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Burn the fire.

Garage
It's okay man. Some of our asses look like the lincoln tunnel too...

Old 05-27-2004, 11:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: