Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Any Porsche Dealership Techs/Mechs out there?

Hey you guys... I've never posted on this board as I spend most of my time on the air cooled side. But I've gat a potentially broad question here I hope you can help me out with it...

I'm curious if there are any Technicians or Mechanics currently working for a Porsche dealership who would willing to talk with me about how they got started doing what they're doing now.

I'm currently a Film Editor in Los Angeles with a lot of technical expertise (computer) and I'm interested in making a transition into the automotive field. I'm passionate about Porsches and if I had my dithers, I'd be working on them every day.

UTI (Universal Technical Institute) has what appears to be a good graduate program directed towards those with Porsche being a primary interest. Have any of you taken any courses through UTI? What was your experience like?

One other piece of information... I'm also considering moving my family out to Portland, Oregon... anyone out there need an apprentice?

Thanks!

-Matt Clarke
Old 05-27-2004, 02:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Driver

Garage
Call Robert at Byers Imports in Columbus, Ohio. He bought a 914 new and liked wrenching on it so much he became a tech.

Also Broadfoot racing says on their website that they only employ Porsche trained techs, perhaps they could help.

Good luck,

GHEN
Old 05-27-2004, 02:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Ghen,

Thanks so much! I'll look into both!

-Matt
Old 05-27-2004, 03:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Private message me.

AFJuvat

Ihr Brunnen der nutzlosen Porsche Information
Old 05-27-2004, 03:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

UTI

I GRADUATED FROM UTI 3 YRS AGO.I PASSED ON THE OPPORTUNITY TO GO TO THE PTAP PROGRAM(PORSCHE TECHNICIAN APPRENTICE PROGRAM)AND STARTED WORKING AT A DEALERSHIP WHO WAS WILLING TO SEND ME TO SCHOOL THROUGH PORSCHE.THE BEST TRAINING IS IN THE SHOP!!!!!!!!!FIND A DEALER OR INDEPENDENT SHOP WITH A GOOD REPUTATION WHO WILL TRAIN YOU.BE PATIENT IN YOUR WORK AND DO A GOOD JOB AND THE MONEY WILL COME EVENTUALLY.IT TAKES TIME AND EXPERIENCE!I AM NOW WORKING AT AN INDEPENDENT SHOP IN TOWN AND LOVING IT.I NOW OWN AN 86 944 N/A CAR THAT I BOUGHT WITH A BLOWN MOTOR AND IT RUNS GREAT.(6 MONTHS OF FINDING PARTS ON E-BAY,AND RENNLIST)GOOD LUCK IN YOUR FUTURE JOB.
Old 05-31-2004, 02:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Matt, I recently changed from Restaurant Management to Automotive Service Sales. I love what I do, granted it is not at a P-car facility, but its been a great 4 months. If you are interested in that area, PM me here or on Rennlist.
Old 05-31-2004, 07:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Burn the fire.

Garage
Re: UTI

Quote:
Originally posted by HAMMER502
I GRADUATED FROM UTI 3 YRS AGO.I PASSED ON THE OPPORTUNITY TO GO TO THE PTAP PROGRAM(PORSCHE TECHNICIAN APPRENTICE PROGRAM)AND STARTED WORKING AT A DEALERSHIP WHO WAS WILLING TO SEND ME TO SCHOOL THROUGH PORSCHE.THE BEST TRAINING IS IN THE SHOP!!!!!!!!!FIND A DEALER OR INDEPENDENT SHOP WITH A GOOD REPUTATION WHO WILL TRAIN YOU.BE PATIENT IN YOUR WORK AND DO A GOOD JOB AND THE MONEY WILL COME EVENTUALLY.IT TAKES TIME AND EXPERIENCE!I AM NOW WORKING AT AN INDEPENDENT SHOP IN TOWN AND LOVING IT.I NOW OWN AN 86 944 N/A CAR THAT I BOUGHT WITH A BLOWN MOTOR AND IT RUNS GREAT.(6 MONTHS OF FINDING PARTS ON E-BAY,AND RENNLIST)GOOD LUCK IN YOUR FUTURE JOB.
But you can't find the Capslock key?

"Drive it like you stole it."
Old 05-31-2004, 08:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Re: Re: UTI

Quote:
Originally posted by Brando
But you can't find the Capslock key?

Good one !!!
Current Stable 944 83 Kalahari Beige manual rack, short 5th gear951 86 Guards Red, pristine TurboYou must not anger the Porsche Gods - you MUST leave one small item unrepaired, lest the Stuttgartians smite thine car with bad Ju-Ju-AF Juvat
Old 05-31-2004, 10:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: