Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

xlunking and metalic noise from 944

HELLO PEOPLE I HAVE A 944 2.5 LUX 1984 AND I HAVE A VERY LOUD METALIC NOISE THAT COMES UP THROUGH THE GEAR STICK. ALSO AS YOU CAN SEE ON MY OTHER POST I HAVE A LOUD CLUNKING NOISE AT LOW SPEEDS AND WHEN DE ACCELERATING ARE THE 2 CONNECTED, PLEASE PLEASE GIVE ME YOUR ADVICE AS I GO TO LE MANS IN 8 DAYS AND I WILL NEED TO GET THE CAR SORTED. DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEA OFF WHAT THE PROBLEM IS AND ALSO HOW MUCH IT WILL COST, PLEASE HELP

Last edited by oliverbeaumont; 05-30-2004 at 01:41 PM..
Old 05-30-2004, 01:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Also sounds like a seperated clutch center. Noises through the gear shift can be engine and/or transmission mounts.

Please buy another keyboard that has lower case letters.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 05-30-2004, 02:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

thank you for your help could it possably have anything to do with the gearbox or torque tube?? and sorry if i sound stupid but what is a CV joint??
Old 05-30-2004, 03:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Constant Velocity universal joint. You have four of them, two at each end of the axles from the trans to the rear wheels. Has six large ball bearings in tracks.

These wear out and will start clicking as you turn corners. Can also impart a thumping sound as the wear gets worse. When they are really bad you may experience a momentary lock up at slow speeds that feels like you ran over some ones foot. All of this is in time with the wheel rotation.

The torque tube bearings will make a rumbling sound in time with the engine rpm's.

The ring and pinion will make a clunking sound in time with the wheels.

The clutch disk on the early cars has a rubber center section that joins the disk area with the splined sleeve that couples to the drive shaft. This center section will separate and the clutch disk will use it's safety lugs. These clank as you let off and get on the accelerator. Not good as these steel lugs will soon bend and then no go to the trans. If yours has had a recent clutch replacement them it's possible that the clutch disk uses springs and not the rubber. But don't count on it.
Old 05-30-2004, 04:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Used & Abused

Do you still use a clutch with a Lux?

"Oh Bother," said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Old 05-30-2004, 11:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
As Socal says the clutch rubber disc could have seperated from the clutch plate-had helpful feedback from the forum on my thread "potential expensive drivetrain klunk".Do a search and read the comments.
Put the car in neutral,go to the inspection hole in the nose cover of the tranny (has a rubber cover).Try and rotate the drive shaft either way and if there is say a 30 deg rotation either way the rubber has gone so shaft rotates until the metal stops on clutch plate stop the travel.
Old 05-31-2004, 01:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by idontknow
Do you still use a clutch with a Lux?
He did say "GEAR STICK".

Automatics still have the same problem as they too have a rubber center adapator plate between the engine and the drive shaft.

Todwic knows all about this.
Old 05-31-2004, 08:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I broke one of the gears in my trasmission, thought it was the cv's so I limped in over to the shop to have someone take a look at it and found out that I wasn't so lucky. If the noise isn't accompanied by some pretty bad lurching that makes you really want to cry when you move it, then it is probably something smaller like the cv's though you may want to make sure all of the parts on your driveline are firmly attached and not hanging loose.

Old 06-07-2004, 05:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: