Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
rumbling in rear end

I have a high milage 1984 944. I recently started hearing a faint rumbling in the rear end. The banging gets faster the faster I go and it slows down the slower I go. Any ideas on what the problem could be?
Old 05-31-2004, 02:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Banging or rumbling?

Many things to consider.

Loose axle nut.

Wheel bearings.

CV joints.

I would try to isolate the noise to one of the sides and jack that side up. Grab the rear wheel top and bottom and rock it in and out. If the wheel is loose pull it off and check if the large nut has come loose. Should have a cotter key through it. A large crescent wrench will tell you if it's loose. Usually torqued to 350 ft lbs.

If it's loose then the bearings are starting to fail and you will need to disassemble the stub axle to check everything. Most of the time it's the outer bearing that rusts up and starts spinning on the stub axle. This leaves a grove in the stub axle requiring it's replacement along with the bearings, spacers and seals. If one side is bad it's best to do the other too. Remember the 350 ft lbs of torque and the cotter pin.

CV's do more of a clatter when they wear. Kind of a clickity clack sound. Louder in one turning direction than the other. Still I would replace all of them if I found one bad.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 05-31-2004, 02:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

How much is a bearing or rear wheel bearing replacement? Anybody had it done?Thanks
Old 06-10-2004, 01:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
What year?
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 06-10-2004, 01:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Old 06-10-2004, 01:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Used & Abused

The rear wheel bearings on early cars are the same as the IRS VW (68+ Beetle) bearings. Go to a VW shop and get the German bearings. I believe SKF or Timken is the name. They (IMO) last a lot longer than the aftermarket ones.

there's an inner (roller) and an outer (ball) bearing per side. You'll need the two seals and preferably a seal installer as well.

Anything I missed?

"Oh Bother," said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Old 06-10-2004, 02:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Any ideas of price? I also would need them installed Any ideas in CT to get them done?
Old 06-10-2004, 02:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Used & Abused

$110 in parts, if you bought them yourself. PM fast924S, he lives in CT IIRC and may know of a few places

"Oh Bother," said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Old 06-10-2004, 03:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: