Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Porsche Afm On 86 944

I NEED TO FIND A PLACE TO HAVE MY AFM REBUILT IF POSSIBLE?DON'T WANT TO SPEND 500.00 ON A NEW ONE IF I DON'T HAVE TO.
Old 05-31-2004, 02:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

check out repair guide http//frwilk.com great step by step with photos

1998 Glacier White Boxster
1971 Fiat 124 Spyder
1999 Mercury Mountaineer
Old 05-31-2004, 03:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
www.frwilk.com

Specifically : http://frwilk.com/944dme/afm.htm
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 05-31-2004, 09:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Then the question is how do you know your AFS (Porsche calls it an Air Flow Sensor) is bad?
Old 05-31-2004, 09:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by SoCal Driver
Then the question is how do you know your AFS (Porsche calls it an Air Flow Sensor) is bad?
Cuz, it's got his Caps Lock on and he can't get it off.

There isn't a day that I don't tweak mine ( now that I'm smoggable), the concept is simple, there's nothing to break or wear out but the variable resistance swiper track, and thats easily correctable with FR Wilks procedure...

The places that sell Refurbished AFM / AFS are ones that (hopefully) put them on a bench and adjust the spring tension on the flapper because a previous owner messed with it and got it out of spec. I just paid $120 to get mine in spec, only to find out that the guy just set the idle mixture screw to spec.
Current Stable 944 83 Kalahari Beige manual rack, short 5th gear951 86 Guards Red, pristine TurboYou must not anger the Porsche Gods - you MUST leave one small item unrepaired, lest the Stuttgartians smite thine car with bad Ju-Ju-AF Juvat
Old 05-31-2004, 10:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by FR Wilk
You can tell an AFS is "going bad" when it starts to smell like week old fish, it will start talking with a gutter British accent, and it will start smoking cigarettes.
ROFLMAO

But at least it doesn't smell like a bucket of fish under the stage at a willie nelson concert ( National Lampoons class of 1984.. check it out.. good comedy )
Current Stable 944 83 Kalahari Beige manual rack, short 5th gear951 86 Guards Red, pristine TurboYou must not anger the Porsche Gods - you MUST leave one small item unrepaired, lest the Stuttgartians smite thine car with bad Ju-Ju-AF Juvat
Old 05-31-2004, 11:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
That's why they guddle about with it!
Old 06-01-2004, 07:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

THE CAR ACTED LIKE IT WAS OUT OF GAS AND WOULD NOT RUN.INSTALLED USED AFM OFF ANOTHER CAR AND IT RUNS FINE NOW.THE CAR WAS DUNKED IN A FLOODED STREET.I BOUGHT IT WITH A NON RUNNING MOTOR(2 BUSTED RODS AND A HOLE IN THE BLOCK)IT HAD BEEN SITTING FOR 8 MONTHS BEFORE I BOUGHT IT.UPON REMOVEING THE COVER ON THE AFM I FOUND A LARGE AMOUNT OF WATER AND CORROSION.
Old 06-01-2004, 09:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: