Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
After Market Radiators

Had the occasion to help Gordon replace his radiator because of a minor and very annoying leak from the top back drivers side.

Found that the hole for the small nipple was cracked. Also found that the drain plug was actually a plug and not the o-ring screw that OEM radiators have. The hole is fully threaded. Does not have a smooth bore for the o-ring.

So who else has run across this?
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 06-03-2004, 10:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Could you make out a brand name or PN?

What seemed to make it fail....bad weld or glueing?
Old 06-03-2004, 01:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
The plastic side failed at the treaded hole for the small pressure balance hose between the over flow tank and the top of the radiator. It cracked from the center out.

I'll check for numbers. I also have a known OEM radiator to compare with.
Old 06-03-2004, 03:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to fast924S
I have a nice used radiator, but the drain plug is stripped, any idea on how to fix this
Old 06-03-2004, 04:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

That is kind of an odd spot for failure no?

Seems like one of the areas of least pressure in the system.

Think it was bumped or vibrated or just poor workmanship of the part?

Fast- I think that is the $200 question everyone would like to know.
Old 06-03-2004, 04:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Think the plastic side is not properly cast and/or of the correct material blend. The crack looks to me as a thermal stress riser from the hole.

BearOne had a similar problem. Can't recal if it was from the temp switch or over flow holes. Both are treaded. In most radiators I've inspected there is a threaded brass insert behind the temp switch hole.
Old 06-04-2004, 07:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by fast924S
I have a nice used radiator, but the drain plug is stripped, any idea on how to fix this
Depends on the design of the plug. If this is one of the OEM radiators the plug has a very deep phillips head and an o-ring between the threads and the head. If this is like the one I just replaced it is a special tappered fully threaded plastic "bolt".

Either way there is enough meat to use a new dead sharp pipe thread tap and make fresh threads. Think there is a brass drain dohicky thing that will fit just nice in 1/8" pipe threads. I'll have to search my piping catalogs. Have to use teflon tape too.

NOTE: Don't use ANYTHING on the other threaded fittings. Those are straight cut threads NOT tappered. A new gasket washer doesn't hurt.
Old 06-04-2004, 07:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to bigyagi
i'm on my 3rd oem radiator. am i just unlucky, or what?
fast 924s, just depends on what you want to do, as regards the plug. you can use a tapered "pipe" thread tap, and fit a tapered plug again, or i would just find the next size tap bigger, either metric or imperial,tap it, and fit a plug with a rubber washer. game over.
to be fair, when i bought the car, the rad was leaking, so i had it replaced at the dealers. 2 years later, rad gone south on me. thanks greg, for new rad at great price.
2002 grand am--better halfs ride.
olds 98 royal brougham--gone, but not forgotten.
Old 06-05-2004, 08:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
SoCal - how did this end up working for you? I just experienced the same problem (plastic hole is cracked after pressure broke the threaded nozzle inside radiator).

Right now i'm not sure if I'm up for replacing the radiator or trying some j b weld first. Any words of wisdom?

'94 Oldsmobile 88 Royale (winter beater)

Its not what you drive, its what drives you.
Old 08-01-2004, 01:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Makenzie71 Send a message via Yahoo to Makenzie71
Quote:
Originally posted by fast924S
you asked a couple months back but oh well...go to autozone and buy a rubber expansion type freeze-plug. Will work great.

So let me get this straight...you spent $200 on a plastic replacement radiator? Why didn't you spend that much on a similar sized aluminum one? Or $300 on a larger, much more efficient one?

One of my first major purchases for this car is going to be a 3" radiator. It'll come in just behind new plugs and wires.

the "baby" that comes first...
Old 08-01-2004, 01:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Anyone make an all metal radiator?
Old 08-01-2004, 02:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

no one's going to make a direct replacement, that I've seen. It'll have to be a custom job....

Old 08-01-2004, 02:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by livewirevoodoo
SoCal - how did this end up working for you? I just experienced the same problem (plastic hole is cracked after pressure broke the threaded nozzle inside radiator).

Right now i'm not sure if I'm up for replacing the radiator or trying some j b weld first. Any words of wisdom?
When the plastic sides crack there is not much that can be done IF the crack extends beyond what a gasket can cover. Seem a waste as a small crack can force the replacement of the entire radiator.

An all aluminum radiator would be interesting. Possibly a custom job. Maybe take the cores that have damaged sides and weld the aluminum to them. Interesting.
Old 08-01-2004, 03:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Why not pick up an aluminum one of similar heughtXlength dimensions and openings and go with that? They'll all have a drain plug and a sensor port (usually). Whatever ports/bungs are needed can easily be drilled and tapped into the tanks (which are usualy 3/16" thick). It's the route I'm taking. I'd rather spend $150~200 on a 3" generic variety intended to be in a Camaro or something that the same money on a stocker or adaptiong a stock core to metal tanks.

Old 08-01-2004, 03:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
The radiator core has six hard points for mounting the fans. The plastic ends have flanges for the four mounting points to the chassis.

Guess If you had the proper welder and related materials for the ports you could do it. Interesting.
Old 08-01-2004, 07:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Mounting the fans would be reletively easy by using the slip/tie bolts sent in elec fan setups like what flex-a-lite provides. The hard mounting points will need to be welded, though.

Old 08-01-2004, 07:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to fast924S
I forget who the company was but IF you sent them the measurements of the side tanks and the rad they could make a custom Alum. one for like $300. What about that PERFORMANCE rad. that is shown in PERFORMANCE PRODUCTS. its a little bigger and has more rows of fins.
Old 08-01-2004, 07:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

when I first ordered a plastic plug for my radiator they gave me the kind with all thread and washer, but I said I need the one with the O ring, so they looked around and finally found the one I needed. I got it from the porsche dealer on pch 1 in torrance.
Old 08-01-2004, 08:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: