Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

O.K. That's it. Where do I cut....

HELP!

After two weeks of screwing around trying to get the bell housing off I am giving up. I CAN NOT get the release lever shaft out. I have tried everything. Penetrating oil, Heat, Four letter words. It will not move. As I see it I have two choices:

Drill it straight up the centre and pray.

Cut the bellhousing in half and throw it out

What do you guys think?

Will drilling work?

If I cut where do I cut??????

Is there MORE than one bolt holding it in?

HEY, ANYONE HAVE A SPARE BELLHOUSING THEY CAN PART WITH FOR CHEAP???? PLEASE
Old 06-03-2004, 05:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I shifted mine by bolting a box wrench to the top of the shaft and applying suitable upward force while continuing to turn the bolt and thus the shaft. That is, screw the bolt in and keep wrenching so that the shaft spins (so you know it isnt fused to the bell housing on the reslease arm).
Then bolt something on to it that you can hit with hammer to get it moving up.

Nigel
Old 06-03-2004, 05:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Busted two bolts already and the shaft didn't spin a bit. Fused isn't a strong enough word.
Old 06-03-2004, 05:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I have a spare bellhousing, but it shouldn't come to that. I believe that SoCal said that the bellhousing could come off with the lever in place by accessing the flywheel bolts through the starter hole. My shaft came out so I do not have any experience with this option, but I would ask him what to do. If you need it, the bellhousing is certainly available, but I suspect it will continue to take up space in the garage long after you are driving your car.

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.
Old 06-03-2004, 06:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to ae1969
attach a higher grade bolt..........
vise grip..........
attach 10 lb slide hammer.......
pound away....
www.edmontonrealestate.ws
Old 06-03-2004, 06:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
If you remove the engine and not the drive train you can take the bolts out of the pressure plate through the hole for the starter. This leaves the pressure and clutch plate on the drive shaft.

Is this a clutch job?
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 06-04-2004, 07:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to will944
I recommend the neck. The wrist is a good spot to cut in such a situation as well....but the neck is much more effective.

Oh...you're not talking about suicide....my bad. In that case, don't listen to me....bad advice....sorry
87 951
C3 Stingray
Old 06-04-2004, 11:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Yep. It is a clutch job.

I already have the whole drive train out and am soooo close I can see the damn thing. I dream of pulling off this bellhousing at night.

What about the bolts one by one through the starter hole???

Will that do it?

Just one bolt holding that shaft in the housing right. I haven't missed one???
Old 06-04-2004, 06:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Just one small bolt. And years of rust.
Old 06-04-2004, 07:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Hell yeah 17 to be exact
Old 06-04-2004, 07:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Just a thought; try PB Blaster. Smelly as heck but seems to work on the hard ones.
Old 06-04-2004, 07:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Anyone have a photo of the inside of the bellhousing? I want to figure out my worst case scenario (cut right through). I will try to get my hands on a slide hammer today but this is killing me (two - three weeks on taking off the bellhousing (almost two weeks getting out the busted bolt.)

Save an act of god I am going to have to cut this thing off. So, anybody know where I should cut?
Old 06-05-2004, 06:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

As I recall now I used the long bolt from the tranny mount..... gave me more to grip on with the vice grips........some of the slide pullers come with different attachements thatwill allow you to get a good grip on the bolt..........and then I pounded on it with the slide hammer...........it felt like an hour!!

Uhmmm and where to cut...........well if you want to use another bellhousing I guess you can cut wherever you want.
Old 06-05-2004, 07:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Ah, that is inspiring. I looked around for two days and the best bolt I could find was only about 2/3 as long. I didn't even think to look around the parts I had removed. Now I have the inspiration I need to whack at it for another day. Going to buy a slide hammer right now. Check back tonight to see if the bellhousing is still in one piece. I have decided that NO MATTER WHAT it comes off today. I have to keep moving or I am going to start regreting ever starting. Any last words of advice????
Old 06-05-2004, 08:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Just to check, you are trying to pull the shaft from the bottom yes? You arent trying to drive it from the bottom out the top are you?

You can undo the pressure plate bolts and pull the pressure plate\TO bearing with the bell housing - This doesn't solve your problem, but it will get the bellhousing off.

AFJuvat

Ihr Brunnen der nutzlosen Porsche Information
Old 06-05-2004, 08:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
So IF he takes the pressure plate loose and with the torque tube off, the bell housing can be removed?
Old 06-05-2004, 08:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Well local store doesn't have a slide hammer in stock so I will try bashing on the longer bolt vice grip combo for a while. Then I will try the bolts then out comes the cut off wheel..................
Old 06-05-2004, 09:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

You have tried to tighten the bolt against a piece of pipe, or the box end of a wrench, or something else that will meet the bellhousing, but let the shaft pass through right? That worked for me, and if you haven't tried it it is worth a shot before you cut the bellhousing.

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.
Old 06-05-2004, 04:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

1. Crappy tire should have a slide hammer..... (Canadian Tire)

2. then try taz's trick as well.....

3. If all else fails ....then do what AF says... just go slow.... and dont strip those bolts.

............ lets forget about the torch for now.... it will come off........ I just dont think sacrificing the bellhousing is the way to go.
Old 06-05-2004, 06:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

I gave up on the shaft and tried to take out the pressure plate bolts. I should have just done this in this in the first place. I took my time and they all came out easy. I don't know how easy the shaft is supposed to come out but I can't imagine why this isn't the way everyone does it.

Here is how it went:
1. bolt vice grips hammer (Nothing)
2. Bolt makeshift puller set-up.
3. Busted bolt (came out with vicegrips)
4. New bolt copper bushing to draw it into
5. second busted bolt (Broke right at the housing NOTHING STICKING OUT)
6. Drill it and use extractor.
7. Break cobalt steel extractor inside bolt.
8. Can't drill into it as there is now cobalt steel in the centre.
9. Depression sets in.
10. Dremel out the extractor and remain depressed.
11. Drill centre bigger and use new extractor (bolt piece out)
12. New bolt heat more bashing vice grips with hammer (nothing)
13. TODAY. Bash more (nothing)
14. Take bolts out pull off whole thing.
15. The world make sense again.

Stay tuned for what I found when I got it all apart. May be a new one for all of you. Good news was I had plenty of clutch left. Release bearing noise was the initial reason for the teardown.

I will start a new post tommorow with the photos of what I found.

Thanks guys. Without this forum I don't know what I would have done. Trust me, blowing up the car was not far away.
Old 06-05-2004, 08:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: