Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
944 S2 wiper motor replacement

Help!

My windshield wiper died on my 1989 944 S2 and I ordered a new motor.

Any suggestions on motor replacement procedures? It looks like I have to remove the 2 big Allen bolts that hold the windshield on.

Any hints from someone who had done this motor replacement?

Dick
Old 06-03-2004, 06:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

you dont remove thoes,
from what I've heard its quite an involved job,
you either have to strip a lot of stuff from under the bonnet where the motor is and possible the inside as well.

if you can get hold of a workshop manual, or haynes this will give you a pointer.

good luck !

NotJustPorsche
Subscribe: notjustporsche-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
Old 06-04-2004, 05:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to the timmer
Don't do it.

Too much heartache and potential other broken stuff (i.e. windshield). Removing the plastic shroud was a piece of cake but putting it back on and making sure every inch was sealed sucked. Plus, you're working in such a small area and maneuvering the motor and arms could lead to more heartache. Pay some pro $75 to do it.
Old 06-04-2004, 05:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
It's not that difficult. But when you weld the car back together it does leave a nasty burn mark.

Actually; take off the wiper arms. Take off the pivot retaining nuts and push the pivots down a little. Think there is a support bracket by the motor you need to unbolt.

Pry up the motor just a little. Reach under it with a 1/4" ratchet and a philips head bit and take the three screws out. Take off the electrical connector.

Between pushing in the pivots, lifting the bracket on the inside (don't break the windshield) and piddling with the motor, the motor, not the whole bracket, should come out.

Then the question is: Is the motor the problem? Could be the column switch or the relay or the fuse.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 06-04-2004, 07:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks for the detailed instructions.

I think it's the motor because the wipers run at about 1/4 speed and make a high-pitched noise -- like a siezed bearing. now they are jsut plain stuck in the center of the windshield. If I give them a push they move and motor screams in pain.

The new motor is on the way and I'll give the removal a try this weekend.

Dick Sjolund
Solon, Iowa

Quote:
Originally posted by SoCal Driver
It's not that difficult. But when you weld the car back together it does leave a nasty burn mark.

Actually; take off the wiper arms. Take off the pivot retaining nuts and push the pivots down a little. Think there is a support bracket by the motor you need to unbolt.

Pry up the motor just a little. Reach under it with a 1/4" ratchet and a philips head bit and take the three screws out. Take off the electrical connector.

Between pushing in the pivots, lifting the bracket on the inside (don't break the windshield) and piddling with the motor, the motor, not the whole bracket, should come out.

Then the question is: Is the motor the problem? Could be the column switch or the relay or the fuse.
Old 06-04-2004, 09:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to ae1969
Follow Socals directions.... The only way you will be able to get it out is by separating the motor from the assembly. The pivots and arms are probably stuck at the wrong position to pull out the entire assembly.

When I pulled mine I was able to turn the motor on and off to adjust the arms as I needed it to make it through the opening...

I removed them for my complete repaint.... so the hood, heater motor etc was out of the car giving me more room to work with...... but I still had to pry at the arms to pull the entire assembly out...

This project has a HIGH aggravation factor.
www.edmontonrealestate.ws
Old 06-04-2004, 10:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
OK,
I got the plastic cover off the front of the car and the cover off the motor. The wipers were not running, so I did what everyone would do -- I gave the motor a "tap" with a small hammer. The wipers started up and the motor made a screeching sound, and then settled down.
The wipers now work finee on the LOW setting and in the intermitent position, BUT they do not work at all in the middle or high position.

Does this sound like a motor problem? The new motor will be delivered next week.

Dick
Solon, Iowa

1989 944 S2
1963 (august) 356C coupe (Ruby Red)

Quote:
Originally posted by ae1969
Follow Socals directions.... The only way you will be able to get it out is by separating the motor from the assembly. The pivots and arms are probably stuck at the wrong position to pull out the entire assembly.

When I pulled mine I was able to turn the motor on and off to adjust the arms as I needed it to make it through the opening...

I removed them for my complete repaint.... so the hood, heater motor etc was out of the car giving me more room to work with...... but I still had to pry at the arms to pull the entire assembly out...

This project has a HIGH aggravation factor.
Old 06-05-2004, 08:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
The speeds in the motor come from separate windings; there is no outboard resistor to look for. However the wiper switch does control the speeds.

So IF you have the motor NOT running in one speed (or more) and it does run in another either the motor winding for that speed is burnt out or the wiper switch is bad. I'd check the motor first.

I forgot to add that you have to take the driver arm off of the motor.

When putting a replacement wiper motor back in hook it up to the electrical first and run it a bit. Turning off the wiper at the steering column will cause the motor to park. If it does not stop then the contacts under the round plate are in need of cleaning.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 06-05-2004, 08:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
You are the greatest!

Many thanks. New motor goesin next week.

Right now the car is on jack stands and I'm looking to see where the mice ate my headlight wire (right side). Getting all the plastic shrouds off was a bear -- especially that on way up under the bumper. Can't wait to try and get it back on!
Dick

Quote:
Originally posted by SoCal Driver
The speeds in the motor come from separate windings; there is no outboard resistor to look for. However the wiper switch does control the speeds.

So IF you have the motor NOT running in one speed (or more) and it does run in another either the motor winding for that speed is burnt out or the wiper switch is bad. I'd check the motor first.

I forgot to add that you have to take the driver arm off of the motor.

When putting a replacement wiper motor back in hook it up to the electrical first and run it a bit. Turning off the wiper at the steering column will cause the motor to park. If it does not stop then the contacts under the round plate are in need of cleaning.
Old 06-05-2004, 09:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: