Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to SlowToady
Cooling fan not turning on?

I don't think my cooling fans are turning on, because my car gets REALLY hot. In traffic the thermostat will go from about the 1/4 bar all the way up to the red. So far, I've always managed to get it shut off for a tick (or um, increase the air flowing over the engine..) before it gets into the red, but it was pretty close today and the other day. Today, when I was at the library I came out, started it up (I was gone for ~30 seconds) and it was just under the red after I backed out of the parking spot so I shut it down and popped the hood. I waited two minutes or so and started it back up, and the cooling fans didn't come up. The thermostat was still at 3/4. I managed to not hit many red lights so I kept it in the middle-ish on the way home, but I'm really getting worried.

How can I fix this? I tried looking at the diagram in the Haynes Manual, but electronics is all gibberish to me (especially since I can't plainly see the circuits). How would I test if the fans are even getting any power to them? Are they connected to a fuse? If so, what number? Then at least I could test the fuse.

Also, I was thinking about upgrading to a Turbo radiator, would this yield any benefit? I'd like to improve my cooling system a bit because unfortunatley, my area has gotten very built up and there is a lot of traffic--something my 944 really, really doesn't like.

Thanks a lot guys

Fakelife.com Nothing to do with archery anymore. Porsche/BMW/Ferrari/Honda videos
Old 06-04-2004, 10:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Don't think the turbo radiator fits.

Turn on the A/C and check if the fans come on. If not check the fuses. Seems that between the inexpensive temp switch in the radiator and the very expensive relay it's usually the relay that fails.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 06-04-2004, 11:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to SlowToady
When I turn the A/C on, the fans come on. So does that mean it is the radiator temp switch?

Fakelife.com Nothing to do with archery anymore. Porsche/BMW/Ferrari/Honda videos
Old 06-04-2004, 03:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I would think so. You can test it by unplugging it and putting a jumper wire on the plug. Turn on the key and the fans should come on.

I have tons of spare parts, let me know what you need.
Old 06-04-2004, 04:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
He has the three pin temp switch -- later 944. Short out between the center pin and one of the outer pins. One side turns the fans on low the other on high.

Really a trick design on the later models. Two speed fans. Guess the engineers were trying to buffer the rapid heat rise inherent in the 944's.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 06-04-2004, 07:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: